1. Topic for the opening track of Songs of Experience.

Lyrics:
    Nothing to stop this being the best day ever
    Nothing to keep us from where we should be
    I wanted the world but you knew better
    And that all we have is immortality

Don't close your eyes

Love and love is all we have left
    A baby cries on a doorstep
    Love is all we have left
    You argue because you can't accept
    Love is all we have left

Now you're at the other end of the telescope
    Seven billion stars in her eyes
    So many stars
    So many ways of seeing
    Hey this is no time not to be alive

A baby cries on a doorstep
    Love is all we have left

The only thing that can be kept
    Love is all we have left
  2. Some info:

At the end of the song, experience breaks down and admits his deepest fears, having been called out on it by his younger, braver, bolder self. That same conversation also opens the album with a song called" Love Is All We Have Left." My favorite opening line to a U2 album: "There's nothing to stop this being the best day ever." In the second verse, innocence admonishes experience: "Now you're at the other end of the telescope, seven billion stars in her eyes, so many stars so many ways of seeing, hey, this is no time not to be alive." It's a chilling moment – in the chorus I was pretending to be Frank Sinatra singing on the moon, a sci-fi torch song "love, love is all we have left, a baby cries on the doorstep, love is all we have left." (Bono, RS interview)
  3. Love Bono's description from RS. Any Frank Sinatra connection is good with me - was just listening to Two Shots of Happy...again the other day. What a song.
  4. Bono the salesman strikes again. U2's opening lines of JT, AB, Pop, etc. are quite memorable. Let's see if this tops that.
  5. Nothing to stop this being the best day ever
  6. But it's all about delivery. I want to run, I want to hide it's nothing special on paper, but they're epic in Streets.
  7. Isn’t this the song they were playing from the DJ today?? Or was it GOOYOW
  8. Yeah, it's funny that a lot of their opening album lyrics AREN'T all that special on paper...
    - 'I try to sing this song loud'
    - 'I want to run, I want to hide'
    - 'You can reach, but you can't grab it'
    - 'Uno, dos, tres, catorce'
    - 'I know a girl who's like the sea'
    Not especially great lines on paper, but all absolutely great on the record. This is one of the songs I'm most looking forward to, actually.
  9. I'm ready
    I'm ready for the laughing gas
    I'm ready
    I'm ready for what's next

Still sounds bad-ass on paper (and very prophetic of what the album will turn out to be) and it sounded so freaking awesome with music, so this song already has tough competition, that's what I said this is typical Bono being a salesman.
  10. Just read the lyrics:

You argue because you can't accept
    Love is all we have left

Vintage U2 I say