1. Originally posted by pleasegone:I never got around to posting my album review, but for SOE, only one song got 1/10, the "poor" rating, and it is Love Is All...
    The autotune is one of the worst decisions they ever could have made in the history of popular music. Pandering to young people who require that their singers need to all sound like the same
    f*****g robot is nonsense, and for U2 to follow that trend is horrendous for a band with the stature and reputation to fall for that. I blame Ryan Teddy Bear Tedder, Danger Rat, and anyone else with a say on that. Actually, it is probably Barlow, and he REALLY REALLY sets the BAR LOW with stinking Auto Tune... I can tell you that even though Eno and Lanois may have been getting stale, but they would not have done this awful crime. Would have been an easy 7/10 without the autotune, but it would be like putting ten pounds of salt with Sardines on a nice Steak, horrible, awful, bad, stink. Anyone guess that I hate Autotune?
    he's at the other side of the telescope so I guess in this case sounding like a robot/alien makes sense.
  2. Bloodraven...posted: oh god... please tell me I didn't sound like that after listening Zoo Station for the first time... I did... didn't I?

My comments sure seem like that, don't they? Although I was never big on Vocal effects, I was the young person in college telling the older U2 fans that Achtung was better than War, and may end up being better than The Joshua Tree. I was also the almost 30 fan who had to scream and yell at fans both old and young that Pop was a brilliant album, that most fans only "Heard," and had not "Listened" to.
    I try so hard not to turn into the old man I am, but despite liking some new music (Adele, Bruno Mars, etc,) Auto Tune is just not for me, and it hurts when another old act succumbs to it, as I feel it is some horrible disease to be avoided like a disease.
  3. So guys, I suck and this kind of stuff. But what part is autotune?
    The whole song? Or just the telescope verse?
  4. Sadly, when Prince fell prey to "Pandering To Young People" he really got carried away. And not just with Auto Tune. I totally ripped him for it on multiple fan pages. So at least I have been consistent. George Michael likely was the worst offender, using more than Prince and U2 combined, and George's singing voice is one that using Auto Tune through an entire song is awful. I don't have every Morrissey album, but I bet he never uses it...I hope.
  5. +1. I thought it added a lot.
  6. Telescope verse.

Ha, sure an 'old act' popularised autotune. Cher with Believe.
  7. Thanks for the answer.
    I think it works really well as you people have said. Gives it an otherwordly feeling
  8. Originally posted by iTim:This is the best song on the album. A real shame it’s immediately followed by one of the worst in recent U2 memory.

I'm with you on loving this song - it's a fantastic opener. But I also love Lights of Home and am curious why you think it's one of the worst in recent U2 memory. Is it the "free yourself" part at the end, or is it more than that? Personally I think both of these songs set up the rest of the album thematically so well. From the otherworldly ambience of love alone lasting and then all of the sudden "boom!" Down to earth with that riff and hip-hop groove and "I shouldn't be here cause I should be dead..."
  9. Originally posted by pleasegone:Bloodraven...posted: oh god... please tell me I didn't sound like that after listening Zoo Station for the first time... I did... didn't I?

My comments sure seem like that, don't they? Although I was never big on Vocal effects, I was the young person in college telling the older U2 fans that Achtung was better than War, and may end up being better than The Joshua Tree. I was also the almost 30 fan who had to scream and yell at fans both old and young that Pop was a brilliant album, that most fans only "Heard," and had not "Listened" to.
    I try so hard not to turn into the old man I am, but despite liking some new music (Adele, Bruno Mars, etc,) Auto Tune is just not for me, and it hurts when another old act succumbs to it, as I feel it is some horrible disease to be avoided like a disease.

I really feel it's the same as what happened with Zoo Station. I was scared that they were just pandering to the cool kids that loved those effects on their music.

But I think both times they've just used the tools they had at hand in a very calculated way. Bono's distorted vocals weren't there in One or in Wild Horses or anywhere else. It was just the whispering effect in The Fly and a way to show that they were really ready for what's next on Zoo Station.

This time, they used it in just one song, pandering to no one (it's not even a single and it won't be one), and it's not even all over the place.
    Even more, it's combined with his natural voice, so it doesn't even sound like an "autotune song". They used it because it fitted perfectly on that verse and that was it.

If they had it all over the album I'd be really struggling to get into it, scared that they've changed direction in what to me would be a really awful and distasteful way... but in this case... I can't see your point as anything other than what scared and silly me was saying back in 1991...
  10. Love it!
  11. Originally posted by pleasegone:Bloodraven...posted: oh god... please tell me I didn't sound like that after listening Zoo Station for the first time... I did... didn't I?

I used to have the same opinion about Auto-Tune, but now I love it as an effect.

It's those who think they need it as a vocal saver that really don't at all that bug me.