1. Yes. Definetely the theme of the prodigal son & father.
    Might’ve been near death experience, doesn’t have to be.
    Bono has said that being born again - which for many Christians refers to the moment of becoming a believer - is something that happens every day. We need to keep on growing to become better people and more like Jesus. This is written about in Ephesians.

So, we have Jesus’ eyes, Gods eyes, and Bono looking at other artists to be his guiding lights (a shining gold guitar) in life. He can’t find God at the moment, his musical heroes are gone. Now thinking about it, this song reminds of North Star. Another guiding light - wasn’t this song about the late Johnny Cash?

I guess the “Free yourself to be yourself”-part could be his experience of God and his heroes encouraging him in who he is and to go for it in life.
  2. No like me this song, Sorry!

The Guitar sucks!! The Edge is a lazy man.

I prefer the St. Peter's string version

It's only my personal taste... and nothing more.
  3. Just listening to the St. Peters String version.. Love it.
  4. Great song about mortality
  5. Originally posted by McPhisto_Davidoff:No like me this song, Sorry!

The Guitar sucks!! The Edge is a lazy man.

I prefer the St. Peter's string version

It's only my personal taste... and nothing more.
    I kind of agree. I do think there’s a great song in there somewhere. I’ve learned to deal with thecopied riff and the iris ending, which I hate. It’s got a great groove from Larry , great lyrics and a decent solo.
  6. A great song. I prefer the St Peter version. The coda is a bit bland and patronising. But I can live with it.

Great mix!
  7. PS But I miss the coda after all.
  8. I don't It's absolutely superfluous and repetitive for me. It's just Bono trying that the crowds finally sing his "Free yourself to be yourself" refrain, which they totally ignored back in 2015. Virtually at all concerts where he tried, it was the most lame audience singalong I've ever seen.
  9. I for one love the free yourself part, especially cos it got a new rhythm to it. I think it's pretty well done
  10. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    I kind of agree. I do think there’s a great song in there somewhere. I’ve learned to deal with thecopied riff and the iris ending, which I hate. It’s got a great groove from Larry , great lyrics and a decent solo.
    Great groove from Larry for sure. I think Edge somewhere described the song as almost having a "hip hop" quality sound to it.

(Not saying I'd want this, but it almost seems like a cameo from Kendrick Lamar would make more sense on a song like this.)
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:I don't It's absolutely superfluous and repetitive for me. It's just Bono trying that the crowds finally sing his "Free yourself to be yourself" refrain, which they totally ignored back in 2015. Virtually at all concerts where he tried, it was the most lame audience singalong I've ever seen.
    Haha I remember back then while listening to the streams. Made me cringe every time

And I don't really like the way it's sung this time in Lights Of Home. Sounds too forced