1. Originally posted by WideAwakeBadBoy:[..]
    I much prefer Volcano to AS, it's a good old fashioned rocker as far as I'm concerned and AS seems a bit like a forced attempt to rewrite it - apart from 13 I think it's the most similar to a SoI track (that being said, great transition from AS to COBL on E+I)
    This is something I’d love to ask the band about. Why the callbacks/revisit of lyrics? What came first? Where did the idea come from?
  2. One of the weakest tracks on the album for me.
  3. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    This is something I’d love to ask the band about. Why the callbacks/revisit of lyrics? What came first? Where did the idea come from?
    It's not hard to understand why they did it. They want to make links between songs of innocence and experience. But i don't like it that much.
  4. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    Because they're sister albums? Would have worked better if they released both albums at the same time, or SOI in 2014 in and SOE in 2015. I think the 3 year gap between the albums hurt them.
  5. You have to bear in mind the albums are inspired by William Blake’s poetry. The reuse of lyrics and sounds creates a bridge that links innocence to experience. Personally, I find this reuse and the whole concept of two contrasting and complementary albums to be a brilliant device.
  6. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:You have to bear in mind the albums are inspired by William Blake’s poetry. The reuse of lyrics and sounds creates a bridge that links innocence to experience. Personally, I find this reuse and the whole concept of two contrasting and complementary albums to be a brilliant device.
    I agree, I don’t mind the call backs, it actually makes sense. But SJKamal is right, it would’ve been WAAAY more effective if they released SOE within a year or so of SOI. I think the biggest gripe people have with all these throwbacks is that it made the band seem lazy. “We waited 3 whole years for this!?” type of thing.
  7. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:You have to bear in mind the albums are inspired by William Blake’s poetry. The reuse of lyrics and sounds creates a bridge that links innocence to experience. Personally, I find this reuse and the whole concept of two contrasting and complementary albums to be a brilliant device.
    U2 and Bono are good at casting a wide conceptually net. In this case, it works and some diggers have found quotes of Bono speaking about this back to ZooTV in the NME.

Do the songs really fit the theme though? Iris, RBW and Invisible yes. But others no. Bono casts a themeatic playground that sometimes is so wide it stretches itself thin.
  8. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:You have to bear in mind the albums are inspired by William Blake’s poetry. The reuse of lyrics and sounds creates a bridge that links innocence to experience. Personally, I find this reuse and the whole concept of two contrasting and complementary albums to be a brilliant device.
    Agreed. I loved hearing those call-backs for the first time. It really enriched the experience, no pun intended! Personally, I wish they performed the album version just for that guitar intro, that would have seared live I think.
  9. HAIM has a new album out tomorrow. Worth listening to for any new U2 songs
  10. If they can draw inspiration from other artists to end up with songs as good as lights of home and summer of love then I’ve no complaints. The string version of lights of home is very different to the Haim song anyway, you wouldn’t think to compare the 2 if it wasn’t for the album version.
  11. Lights Of Home is fine.

Summer Of Love is a bit on the worse side. One Republic had basically written the basic song, the riff, the "West Coast" line.