1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This song to me is the most “Jacknife”, only because production-wise it sounds the most like what’s going on on The Killers new album. That being said, it’s also far better than anything on that album too.

This isn’t a critique, just an observation. He does pretty great work. Bye Eno and Lanois?
    I think there was some friction with Eno last time they worked on NLOTH over some songwriting credit? I think that partnership is over.
  2. Might have been addressed already but is this intro a little low and bad quality or effected heavily and fuzzy
  3. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I think there was some friction with Eno last time they worked on NLOTH over some songwriting credit? I think that partnership is over.
    Really? I don’t recall that. I know they shared songwriting credits, but I didn’t know there was tension.
  4. I feel like Eno was just interviewed over the summer for one of those short subscribers videos about the album.
  5. These lyrics are frightening to me somewhat. It seems they are of Bono dying and drifting into the light to meet his maker. Like he had a heart attack and was lying on the floor next to his bed waiting to leave us all. It starts with him saying he should be dead.
    And then the lyrics in Blackout..."A dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth. Earthquake always happen when you're in bed." He wonders why he's still alive. And the earthquake could be a heart attack. As they often happen while sleeping. And references back to getting out from under the bed on Lights.

Obviously if this was the case, we're all lucky he survived it to write about it. He's meant so much to me for over 34 yrs of my life. Anyone else feel this way?
  6. Originally posted by raynman009:These lyrics are frightening to me somewhat. It seems they are of Bono dying and drifting into the light to meet his maker. Like he had a heart attack and was lying on the floor next to his bed waiting to leave us all. It starts with him saying he should be dead.
    And then the lyrics in Blackout..."A dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth. Earthquake always happen when you're in bed." He wonders why he's still alive. And the earthquake could be a heart attack. As they often happen while sleeping. And references back to getting out from under the bed on Lights.

Obviously if this was the case, we're all lucky he survived it to write about it. He's meant so much to me for over 34 yrs of my life. Anyone else feel this way?
    Interesting. He did say Blackout began as a song about his own crises before it morphed into a song about "political dystopia."
  7. ?
  8. Friction dates back to ATYCLB and songwriting credits, but I believe it's resolved now. I think it's why Eno gets a credit on Love and Peace or Else on the subsequent album though its genesis dated back to ATYCLB, and then full songwriting credits on No line was the olive branch to Brian.
  9. Originally posted by raynman009:These lyrics are frightening to me somewhat. It seems they are of Bono dying and drifting into the light to meet his maker. Like he had a heart attack and was lying on the floor next to his bed waiting to leave us all. It starts with him saying he should be dead.

Definitely.

There’s definitely a recurring theme of mortality on this album. And it definitely does sound like he had a heart attack

I haven’t had the privelage of having U2 in my life for as long as you have, but I’ve loved them like a backdrop to my life for 13 years now. They and their music have been there for me through the rough times and happy ones, they’re like family. Hearing these things, hearing Bono sing “the end is not coming, the end is here” etc is heart breaking. We know it has to end sometime (probably sooner than later) but I’m not sure how I’ll cope. Not just with them ending musically, but if something happened to Bono...to any of them...I’m sure for all of us here it would feel like something happening to a close relative.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Definitely.

There’s definitely a recurring theme of mortality on this album. And it definitely does sound like he had a heart attack

I haven’t had the privelage of having U2 in my life for as long as you have, but I’ve loved them like a backdrop to my life for 13 years now. They and their music have been there for me through the rough times and happy ones, they’re like family. Hearing these things, hearing Bono sing “the end is not coming, the end is here” etc is heart breaking. We know it has to end sometime (probably sooner than later) but I’m not sure how I’ll cope. Not just with them ending musically, but if something happened to Bono...to any of them...I’m sure for all of us here it would feel like something happening to a close relative.
    Well said Alex. I feel the same way. And seeing Bono so emotional the first time they played The Little Things on TJT30 tour in Toronto. I think Adam gave him a hug at the end of it.

I watched a recent interview and both Bono and Edge feel like U2 have much more music to create. As crazy U2 fans, we're so lucky. What other band was making an album this good in their 4th decade of making music? None i can think of.
  11. This song is so diverse with different parts and the "be yourself to be yourself" part I thought it was 6 minutes but it's only 4:17!
    Can't get enough of this.