1. I don’t think this song needs a lot of crowd interaction at all. I think this is one of these songs we can all stand and admire at the end of the show. There will be tears, hands in the air, people rejoicing it’s one of they songs. Walk On wasn’t a sing along either yet possessed a lot of power live and I think this is in the same mould. Going to be a special end to the E&I shows I believe.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:I don’t think this song needs a lot of crowd interaction at all. I think this is one of these songs we can all stand and admire at the end of the show. There will be tears, hands in the air, people rejoicing it’s one of they songs. Walk On wasn’t a sing along either yet possessed a lot of power live and I think this is in the same mould. Going to be a special end to the E&I shows I believe.
    Walk On didn't have a choir, it had decent air time (not sure if it charted or not, but I'd guess it had some success on radio), and it only became that big once it was associated with 9/11... none of that plays in favor of Love Is Bigger.

I'm unsure how much of the punch of this song is because of the choir, and hence, how much of a hit it'll take if there isn't one.

Maybe -hopefully- it works just as good with just Bono singing the Killeney Bay part AND the refrain that is repeated 10x at the end, but I do feel that it's greatly improved by all those voices.

Also, songs are great or not so great depending a lot on how much are known/loved by the audience. The "there'll be tears and hands in the air" only work for those who have already learned, understood and embraced the song; otherwise the reactions will range at best from "meh" to "I kinda liked it", specially if it doesn't have the wow factor of the chorus like it does in the album.

I like it, love it, but I think people might be overestimating its live potential (obviously I hope I'm wrong... I'd love if they could have another song that has to be played in every single show, like say, Beautiful Day... a new fan favorite)
  3. the crowd will hold up the torches on their phones and wave them from side to side, while singing "love is bigger, than anything in its way" along with Edge over and over and over again.

it will be amazing.
  4. Full band OL, EBW and Love is bigger would be a nice little trio
  5. Sort of good news for the song, this one might be the next single?

Which songs do you think will become famous?
    I know that "You're the Best Thing About Me" is going to be one of them. I think "Get Out of Your Own Way" is going to be one of them. The biggest one of all could be "Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way," but it might be that that is what the radio people are telling us. It could be something like "The Showman," something unexpected or, you know, "Red Flag Day," "Summer of Love" . . . you know, I don't know.

(From Rolling Stones interview)

At the very least, this should mean that it'll have every chance to succeed live.
  6. I can only hope! I'd give my fortune in a heartbeat to witness an arena singing along to this song and carrying Bono through it.

PS. My fortune ain't much
  7. It’s starting to happen.
  8. Awesome song to kick of the year
  9. Can’t understand why this wasn’t the first single. Epic, radiofriendly, catchy, coldplayish, great live potential. If that had happened I could accept YTBTAM as the second single. ?
  10. this song is like a warm hug to me
  11. Yesterday I saw a long term fan for the first time since many months ago, we hadn't spoken in weeks, and she arrived to my house blasting SOE through her car's speakers. It was Love Is Bigger playing, and when I asked her opinion on it, she said: "it's the first time since the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind that a song makes me cry during the first listen".

Kind of goes along with what I posted a month back after 2 days of having SOE:

Originally posted by LikeASong:I can't quite recall the last time that a song became an instant album favorite as fast as Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way. Also I can't recall the last time that a U2 song made me shiver and shed a tear as quickly as this one. The rest of the album is of course very good too but this song is something else and it takes me to a whole different place. And its not even that good musically or lirically... It's just one of these songs that touch you inside for no reason and never lets you go.As Alex says, it makes me wanna cry and I just don't know why.

If they played this song as the closer to their last concert ever I would be ok with it.