1. Originally posted by Remy:SOE announcement seems like a good time to start rumouring about Songs of Ascent.

I suspect this topic will be lasting 7 years full of rumours until U2 finally brings us something
    I believe the Songs of Ascent will be a thank-you album and possibly will not have a live tour. All well planned. Innocence + Experience + Ascent. And after that, the end. But I believe it will be 3 or 4 years from now.
  2. Originally posted by AnselmoLopes:[..]
    I believe the Songs of Ascent will be a thank-you album and possibly will not have a live tour. All well planned. Innocence + Experience + Ascent. And after that, the end. But I believe it will be 3 or 4 years from now.
    That's always been my idea and it sounds like a freaking good (and sad) one.
  3. Yes, for us who love the group, yes. And in the middle of this plan a celebration at the apogee (The Joshua Tree), which was a gift to us.
  4. Originally posted by Alvin:I made my own SOA mini album back in 2010 (when it was promised as new album) with new tracks played etc.
    [...]
    LOL...I did the same...although somewhat more recently, and not exactly a mini-album either. A 2 LP set actually
    For me it serves as a compilation of rare tracks and b-sides that are not on one of the regular albums, including
    Artifical Horizon and Duals. Critical minds will perhaps say that Stateless features on the Million Dollar Hotel
    Soundtrack
    , but I've included it still because I rarely listen to that album (and because I do think Stateless is a great
    song and thematically very "ascent"
    - DO NOTE that inclusion of Stateless doesn't fit a 1 CD (no worries for the iPod though )

SONGS OF ASCENT
    (some rare tracks & mixes + 1 unreleased) - 2LP

A1. Soon
    A2. Stateless
    A3. Winter
    A4. What's Going On (London Version - feat. Chris Martin)
    A5. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

B1 New York (Nice mix)
    B2. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
    B3. No Line On The Horizon 2
    B4. Mercy

C1. All Because Of You (Killahurtz Fly mix)
    C2. Even Better Than The Real Thing (Jacques Lu Cont mix)
    C3. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Toninight (Redanka's "Kick The Darkness" vocal version)

D1. Don't Take Your Guns To Town
    D2. Holy Joe (Garage mix)
    D3. Night + Day (edit)
    D4. Ave Maria (Jacknife Lee mix)
    D5. Viva Davidoff

Spoiler (click to toggle)

NB: I have also designed a companion release called SONGS OF DECENT with serves both as some kind of
    Best Of 2005-2017 and a compilation album of U2 singles and rare tracks that haven't been released on one
    of the regular albums. (Well, actually Songs Of Ascent is the companion release of Songs Of Decent )

SONGS OF DECENT - 1 LP or 1 CD

A compilation album with "hits" like Ordinary Love, Magnificent and IGCIIDGCT, the two SOI singles with their unique mix
    and even COBL that didn't feature on U2 18 Singles. Also an album that would hold beautiful tracks like This Is (the 2013
    unreleased Aslan cover) and the (somewhat rare) acoustic A Man And A Woman.
    But most importantly, an album that would play like a great record. In short, an album with some decent songs!
    And, believe it or not, I spent months finding the right selection and to get the sequence right

A1. Ordinary Love
    A2. Instant Karma
    A3. A Man And A Woman (Acoustic)
    A4. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Single Version)
    A5. Every Breaking Wave (New Radio mix)
    A6. City Of Blinding Lights (Radio edit)

B1. You're The Best Thing About Me (Sci-Fi Soul mix)
    B2. This Is
    B3. Magnificent (UK edit)
    B4. Red Hill Mining Town (Steve Lillywhite 2017 mix)
    B5. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Radio edit 96 bpm)
    B6. Song For Someone (Radio mix)

CD bonus track:
    I Believe In Father Christmas

I think it is a pretty smart compilation (if I say so myself )
    For the fans at least 1 previously unreleased track (not sure what the status of the sci-fi mix is - can you get it at iTunes?)
    and some rare tracks, or only available on cd singles (even SYCMIOYO is a different version than on HTDAAB or on 18 Singles!).
    And for the general public (read: older still cd and lp buying), a very decent album for your turntable or (car) cd-player
    The kind of record that you would buy your mum

5. After SOA, there will be their final album called Man.
  6. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    LOL...I did the same...although somewhat more recently, and not exactly a mini-album either. A 2 LP set actually
    For me it serves as a compilation of rare tracks and b-sides that are not on one of the regular albums, including
    Artifical Horizon and Duals. Critical minds will perhaps say that Stateless features on the Million Dollar Hotel
    Soundtrack
    , but I've included it still because I rarely listen to that album (and because I do think Stateless is a great
    - DO NOTE that inclusion of Stateless doesn't fit a 1 CD (no worries for the iPod though )

SONGS OF ASCENT

A1. Soon
    A2. Stateless
    A3. Winter

B1 New York (Nice mix)
    B4. Mercy

C3. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Toninight (Redanka's "Kick The Darkness" vocal version)

D3. Night + Day (edit)
    D5. Viva Davidoff

NB: I have also designed a companion release called SONGS OF DECENT with serves both as some kind of
    Best Of 2005-2017 and a compilation album of U2 singles and rare tracks that haven't been released on one
    of the regular albums. (Well, actually Songs Of Ascent is the companion release of Songs Of Decent )

A compilation album with "hits" like Ordinary Love, Magnificent and IGCIIDGCT, the two SOI singles with their unique mix
    and even COBL that didn't feature on U2 18 Singles. Also an album that would hold beautiful tracks like This Is (the 2013
    But most importantly, an album that would play like a great record. In short, an album with some decent songs!
    And, believe it or not, I spent months finding the right selection and to get the sequence right

[image]

A1. Ordinary Love
    A2. Instant Karma

B2. This Is

CD bonus track:

For the fans at least 1 previously unreleased track (not sure what the status of the sci-fi mix is - can you get it at iTunes?)
    and some rare tracks, or only available on cd singles (even SYCMIOYO is a different version than on HTDAAB or on 18 Singles!).
    And for the general public (read: older still cd and lp buying), a very decent album for your turntable or (car) cd-player

[image]
    lol
    I made my own personal (not for mums or casual likely) best ofs from all decades... but it's another story and would be off topic here (anyway 80's and 90's are double albums, 00's is mostly from NLOTH and non album tracks with just a few from ATYCLB/HTDAAB and 10's is still work in progress )
  7. I think timescale wise 2 albums definitely make sense if they’re thinking about that 50th anniversary (2026) which I think could be the target. It sounds funny to talk about it with musicians but that would bring them all to around the retirement age and give them a chance to enjoy the rest of there lives with there families.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think timescale wise 2 albums definitely make sense if they’re thinking about that 50th anniversary (2026) which I think could be the target. It sounds funny to talk about it with musicians but that would bring them all to around the retirement age and give them a chance to enjoy the rest of there lives with there families.
    indeed.
    Man would be an epic finish to the U2 adventure we all ride. Just imagine having Boy and Man on your shelf
  9. It’s one of they occasions where it’s that obvious a title it’s great. It’s definitely a nice thought and I hope it materialises.
  10. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Soundtrack

SONGS OF ASCENT

A1. Soon
    A2. Stateless
    A3. Winter

B1 New York (Nice mix)
    B4. Mercy

D3. Night + Day (edit)
    D5. Viva Davidoff

[image]

A1. Ordinary Love
    A2. Instant Karma

B2. This Is

CD bonus track:

[image]
    So funny! Seems we all have similar "personal comps"

"A Suitcase of Songs Left Behind"

A1 Salome (Zooromancer Mix)
    A2 Bass Trap
    A3 Picture of You
    A4 Native Son
    A5 Love You Like Mad
    A6 Chances Away
    A7 Flower Child

B1 Jesus Christ
    B2 All Because of You (Alternate Version)
    B3 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Alternate Version)
    B4 False Prophet
    B5 Silver Lining
    B6 Stateless
    B7 Yahweh (Alternate Version)

"Songs of Ascent"

A1 Neon Lights
    A2 Smile
    A3 Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
    A4 Mercy
    A5 Be There
    A6 Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience

B1 Levitate
    B2 Kingdom
    B3 Light Speed
    B4 Back-Mask
    B5 North Star
    B6 Winter

These are just 2... I've tooled around and tweaked many over the years. No rhyme or reason... just because.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think timescale wise 2 albums definitely make sense if they’re thinking about that 50th anniversary (2026) which I think could be the target. It sounds funny to talk about it with musicians but that would bring them all to around the retirement age and give them a chance to enjoy the rest of there lives with there families.
    I could live with that.
  12. Saying goodbye makes sense in a way, ascent or a album called Man. Love the idea of a round circle or complete feeling.