1. I wanted to write an emotional off the cuff topic in response to a lot of the chatter I see. Remember, U2 has always been a band that does what they want to do, not what the masses want. That's one of the things that has made them great, and has become a double-edged sword for the passionate fans. If they kept doing what we want them to (ie. finally play Acrobat, Drowning Man, do a Pop reunion, close EVERY show with '40') then they would just become more white noise (i.e. what passes for popular music these days) rather than always pushing themselves. Look what happened when they walked away from TJT....Achtung Baby. Yes, sometimes they'll fall short of their own expectations and that of a lot of their audience, but that's okay. We all have different ideas of what's great. I for one do not see the big draw to 'Moment Of Surrender', I feel that RHMT was better as a gem that they've never played, and though I tire of hearing 'Pride' on my own, when you are present at a concert and it's played, it does stir something. I feel that SOI as a whole is better than each part (consider the title) and hope for the same from SOE. I'm intentionally avoiding listening to it (haven't heard GOOYOW and AS, and only gave Blackout / Best Thing a single listen). I'd rather listen to it as a collection. So yes, SOE and the subsequent tour may disappoint. But if you go into it with that, it will be a self fulfilling prophesy. So lower your guard, and see what happens. Maybe the songs will hit you, maybe they won't. But they may in a few years, in 10 years, after your dad dies, when your son goes to college, when you lose your job, when you feel God is laughing at you, or when your first child is born. But don't for a second wish for U2 to follow what the masses are telling them to do. That would be a shame.
  2. Also, I had a similar rant a while back, and I forgot who pointed this out to me, but we as fans do tend to be very critical of U2, but will passionately defend them to the masses, so please, I am NOT pointing any fingers. As I said, and emotional off the cuff topic!
  3. Well put...
  4. I'd love to be around when you hear this combo for the first time... based on the way you seem to feel about U2, I think you will totally love it.

BTW, you didn't heard The Little Things from the JT30 shows, neither? Cause that one is even better...
  5. “Remember, U2 has always been a band that does what they want to do, not what the masses want.”

I don’t think this has been the case for quite some time. The band seem desperate to appeal to the masses. I fully believe they would make some fantastic music if they completely removed themselves from external influences, pressures and demands.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:“Remember, U2 has always been a band that does what they want to do, not what the masses want.”

I don’t think this has been the case for quite some time. The band seem desperate to appeal to the masses. I fully believe they would make some fantastic music if they completely removed themselves from external influences, pressures and demands.
    this I have to agree as well...

oh, shit. i'ma bout to head on over to the drunk thread!
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:“Remember, U2 has always been a band that does what they want to do, not what the masses want.”

Agreed.

But love the topic.
  8. It's worth going back to U2's interview with Dave Fanning around the time Joshua Tree was released. Bono says "I don't want U2 to be an elitest thing". He talks about houswives at home listening to Still Haven't Found, etc. Check it out. U2, going way back, wanted to appeal to the masses, to be big, etc. Nothing at all new or recent about this approach. Wish I could find a link to the interview.
  9. listen from 9.00
  10. 2 new songs on every single. I miss those days... TJT/R&H b-sides still arguably strongest body of work.
  11. Excellent post Matt and fully agree