1. Originally posted by redguitaronfire:[..]

There is this Southern Man version, I guess it's 1987-10-28, Rosemont - Illinois. 8 minutes long and Bono pulls a guy from the audience to play his guitar. But it comes to be this dude really can play, and improvises a HOT solo (Bono: hey, Edge, we better take him off quick!") while the band jams with him. Well, it's not a stuff up but I think they were expecting the player to be a little worser and he drove'em unconfortable, because they do end up quick after the solo.

Hahaha that is hilarious, just listened to it. It also has a nice middle rant by Bono:

"You know, we started playing our own songs because we couldn't play anybody else's songs... And we still can't! ... I guess that makes us a rock and roll band? ... When I was 17 I learnt to play this song (just about) on electric guitar, and you know I thought this great singers and songwriters and rock and roll bands I thought they knew something I didn't know, I thought they had a trick up their sleeves. But there's no tricks at all. Just three chords and the truth!! Anyone can play this song. You wanna play my guitar?" and then the whole thing of bringing up players that can't really play... And when Dave comes in and strickes that Am chord, man the audience really explodes. The solo is hot and you're right, it probably drove them a bit uncomfortable. "Hey, this guy is TOO good!! Edge, we better get him off QUICK, what do we say? Only in America... Only in Chicago!!"
  2. Yeah this is great... and great version of Southern Man... and the guy on guitar is really good!
  3. I remember at the 3rd night of the Vertigo tour in Sydney, the band started to play Party Girl during the encore but had to pause and gather in a huddle on the stage to work out how it went. That was the first time in over a year that Party Girl had appeared in a set list and the only thing funnier for me was watching so many puzzled faces in the crowd asking what's this song?