1. summer of love, the little things, 13 and love is all we have left are about all that's necessary from this album

can't see how much of the stuff from SOI can be played along with this. for all of the talk about one album talking to the other or whatever they said, there isn't much that ties it all together for me.

i can see 13 into EBW full band though
  2. listening to it right now, sounds cool as hell
  3. It's prepared for the first listening... But I am nervous as hell, delaying the listening.. love the hype before release. If is there last album I'm even more nervous☺️☺️ wish me luck.. I'm planning to do it today
  4. Originally posted by Bloodraven:I recalled Radiohead's Ok Computer / In Rainbows theory that both albums were meant to be played intertwined, and I wanted to try that theory in here.

We know that both albums communicate with each other and there's some explicit connections.

The idea is:
    -Create one single tracklist containing both albums, alternating between one SOI with one SOE, using all the 24 songs of both albums, AND NOT using b-sides or non-album tracks.

-The SOI and SOE pairs should have a connection, explicit or otherwise (I'm trying to assume that every SOI has a SOE counterpart, even if sometimes that connection seems rather weak)

-The album has to flow nicely, no "sharp turns", make transitions that work.

-There's 2 songs more in SOE than in SOI, which means we'll need to open and close with SOE, and to have a double SOE somewhere in the middle. The obvious in here is opening with All We Have Left (that's its reason of being after all), and in the middle don't split Get Out and American Soul, since both are connected with the blessings.

---

Well, here's my go at mixing both albums in one big double album. I've been working on this all afternoon, so I've already listened to the full thing twice.

Please give it a shot and comment which transitions you don't like or how it could work better for you:

SONGS OF INNOCENCE AND EXPERIENCE

1. Love is All We Have Left
    ---
    2. Iris
    3. Lights of Home
    ---
    4. California
    5. Summer Of Love
    ---
    6. Every Breaking Wave
    7. Landlady
    ---
    8. Reach Me Now
    9. Red Flag Day
    ---
    10. The Troubles
    11. Get Out of Your Own Way
    ---
    12. American Soul

13. Volcano
    ---
    14. The Showman
    15. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    ---
    16. You're The Best Thing About Me
    17. Cedarwood Road
    ---
    18. The Blackout
    19. Raised by Wolves
    ---
    20. There Is a Light
    21. Song For Someone
    ---
    22. Love Is Bigger
    23. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
    ---
    24. The Little Things That Give You Away

---

The Connections
    Some connections are explicit: Volcano, SFS, Iris.
    The rest are more subjective and sometimes very weak, but let's have fun with it:
    *In Summer, you've been thinking about the west coast? That's California.
    *Caledonia mentioned (correctly, imho) that Red Flag Day gave a The Clash vibe? That's Reach me Now
    *In Landlady Bono mentions every wake that broke him, that's Every Breaking Wave
    *The Showman... is there something about being an artist and performer in SOI? that's The Miracle
    *Ali's the best thing that happened to a boy, to a boy that lived in Cedarwood Road with all the problems of living in there.
    *In Troubles, you realize that the trouble is you, so you better get out of your own way.
    *I don't know the lyrics of it, but at least the title of Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way fits with the really dark subject of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight.
    *Then, the political Blackout meets the political Wolves.
    *And although I don't want to close this album with the line "The End Is Here", you have to admit that it works poetically.

The transitions some are excellent: Love is All We Have Left --> Iris seems almost as if that was intentional, and Song for Someone works beautiful right after There Is a Light (thematically sound better the other way around, but musically this worked better). But I really loved the majority of them.
    Listen to them and let me know if they worked for you.

Listening like this brings SOI to life
  5. Bringing this one up because I'm listening to it this way everyday and I totally love it, so although I know this is not something everybody will love, I need to share it.

It can make SOI sound better, and SOE more interesting.
  6. Iris and Love Is All We Have Left bring up a similar idea

"Something in your eyes
    Took a thousand years to get here"

and

"Now you’re at the other end of the telescope
    Seven billion stars in her eyes"
  7. I've been listening to the two albums back to back. Together, I find them impressive.

Bowie's last 4 albums or so (Heathen, Reality, Next Day, Blackstar) are all excellent -- a true return to form. Hailed by critics, especially the last two, which pretty much came out of the blue. Are they in the same league as Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, or Station to Station? Well, almost certainly not. But they're fantastic pieces of music all the same.

Now fast forward to U2. Are SOI and SOE in the same league as JT and AB? I'm not sure; but that's not even the right question to ask. Are they perfect albums? Probably not. But, again, not the right question to ask. Are they fantastic pieces of music? Yes, they are. They are at least just as impressive as Bowie's last albums (actually, for me, they're even better).
  8. Ok, finally tried this, I’m about to confirm this companion project as U2’s third masterpiece.
  9. I just alternated the tracks from each album in order, first Experience and then Innocence, and left GOO and AS together, and it works pretty well.
  10. A great idea. Now we just have to wait for Songs of Ascent and move to another place.
  11. For the last couple of days I've been messing with my track list in order to:

a) include the whole thing. Lucifer, Crystal, Invisible, Ordinary and Book. The full 2 hours.

b) Closing the macro-album the way is supposed to end, with Love is Bigger + There is a Light.

I had to break the 1-1 rule, so now there's a couple of sequences with 2 or 3 songs from the same album, but since now I don't feel it much like old vs new songs, I don't really mind that much.

SONGS OF INNOCENCE AND OF EXPERIENCE - (2:03:12)

1. All We Have Left
    2. Iris
    3. Lights of Home
    4. California
    5. Summer of Love
    6. Every Breaking Wave
    7. Landlady
    8. Song for Someone
    9. Crystal Ballroom
    10. Book of Your Heart
    11. Own Way
    12. American Soul
    13. Volcano
    14. Showman
    15. Lucifer's Hands
    16. Miracle
    17. Best Thing
    18. Cedarwood
    19. Red Flag Day
    20. Reach Me Now
    21. Blackout
    22. Raised by Wolves
    23. Little Things
    24. Ordinary Love
    25. Invisible
    26. Troubles
    27. Sleep Like a Baby
    28. Love is Bigger
    29. There is a Light
  12. 29 amazing songs of genius on that setlist, i must try it............