1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Not necessarily. Imagine Achtung Baby with Scarlet as the 13th track after Love Is Blindness, or The Joshua Tree with Grace as the 12th track after Mothers Of The Disappeared. They'd still be their masterpieces but you could choose those particular songs as their worst ever. They don't need to belong to their overall weakest album.
    You're assuming of course that October is their worst album For me, I'll put October on before SOE or NLOTH. Worst is such an objective term too. It's objective to the person, and the situation. Imagine listening to a song like Scarlet when you are blessed, and happy and thankful, and then listening to it when you're at your lowest. The message would be the same; your reaction would be different. John Lennon said (paraphrased) that you sing a song to 1,000 people for one reason, and they sing it back for 1,000 others. To close, for my money, U2's "worst" song is far superior to my "best" song
  2. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    You're assuming of course that October is their worst album For me, I'll put October on before SOE or NLOTH. Worst is such an objective term too. It's objective to the person, and the situation. Imagine listening to a song like Scarlet when you are blessed, and happy and thankful, and then listening to it when you're at your lowest. The message would be the same; your reaction would be different. John Lennon said (paraphrased) that you sing a song to 1,000 people for one reason, and they sing it back for 1,000 others. To close, for my money, U2's "worst" song is far superior to my "best" song
    Not me, look at the post above And of course their "worst" song is worth much more than many bands' complete discographies out there.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Not me, look at the post above And of course their "worst" song is worth much more than many bands' complete discographies out there.
    Agreed; gimme ANY U2 song (demo, album, whatever) over nearly everything Coldplay has put out!

Also Sergio, I creeped your profile and you have 2 posts to go until beautiful symmetry!
  4. I know we all show discontent for GOYB but is it really terrible overrall? For me take away the silly verses and it has the basis of a really good tune,chorus,guitars,drums are actually pretty cool dont you think?
  5. Originally posted by kezman:I know we all show discontent for GOYB but is it really terrible overrall? For me take away the silly verses and it has the basis of a really good tune,chorus,guitars,drums are actually pretty cool dont you think?
    Honestly I like it overall. Yeah it’s a bit silly, but what the hell - a bit silly can be fun.
  6. Originally posted by kezman:I know we all show discontent for GOYB but is it really terrible overrall? For me take away the silly verses and it has the basis of a really good tune,chorus,guitars,drums are actually pretty cool dont you think?
    I like GOYB live.
  7. Originally posted by kezman:I know we all show discontent for GOYB but is it really terrible overrall? For me take away the silly verses and it has the basis of a really good tune,chorus,guitars,drums are actually pretty cool dont you think?
    I just LOVE the silly verses of GOYB

"Laughter is eternity if joy is real" & "You don't know how beautiful you are"

+ the phrase "Get on your boots" is up for multiple interpretations as "boots" is short for "bootlegs"
  8. Originally posted by kezman:I know we all show discontent for GOYB but is it really terrible overrall? For me take away the silly verses and it has the basis of a really good tune,chorus,guitars,drums are actually pretty cool dont you think?
    I think two factors played a big role against Get On Your Boots' consideration among fans:

1) NLOTH's postponements and constant teasing by the band and associates (I don't remember despising Paul McGuinness more in my life than I did between 2007 and 2008!)
    2) The fact that it was the lead single of an album in which it stands out like a sore thumb; NLOTH is mostly a very different sounding album to what GOYB portraits, and it was misleading and disappointing as a first single.

Had the band & associates been relatively quiet and released NLOTH (and a different lead single) in a less bombastic, anticipated way, GOYB would have gone down as a standard rocking number, even a bit sub-par... But surely not the fiasco that most fans have in mind.
  9. Honestly, 4th of July for me. There are a couple clunkers in October and Unforgettable Fire for me personally. I like the atmosphere 4th of July creates and understand it’s a glimpse of “hey we’re going from a traditional rock band and moving forward with experimentation,” but it’s just like “okay cool.”
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I think two factors played a big role against Get On Your Boots' consideration among fans:

1) NLOTH's postponements and constant teasing by the band and associates (I don't remember despising Paul McGuinness more in my life than I did between 2007 and 2008!)
    2) The fact that it was the lead single of an album in which it stands out like a sore thumb; NLOTH is mostly a very different sounding album to what GOYB portraits, and it was misleading and disappointing as a first single.

Had the band & associates been relatively quiet and released NLOTH (and a different lead single) in a less bombastic, anticipated way, GOYB would have gone down as a standard rocking number, even a bit sub-par... But surely not the fiasco that most fans have in mind.
    True. There were SO many instances of U2 saying "our next album is going to be a transformative album, like Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby level transformation".

No, I'm not kidding - in fact I have a magazine at home that literally says that on the front cover, in quotes, from Bono lmao.

Then Get On Your Boots came out and Bono started wearing eye shadow and we all went "lol what the fuck".

Meanwhile there are like 4-5 songs on NLOTH that I would say constitute what is probably their most interesting work since Pop, and STILL their most interesting work since Pop (as in the two albums and random one-off songs that have come out since haven't topped them).

That being said, I saw someone say Cedars of Lebanon in this thread, so that's definitely not a universal opinion (I LOVE that song).

I still wonder if Bono was thinking of that subset of songs when he was saying those things, because if we had received a full album of songs of that quality (let's throw Winter onto the album too), I would've agreed with him.
  11. Wild Honey
  12. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    True. There were SO many instances of U2 saying "our next album is going to be a transformative album, like Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby level transformation".

No, I'm not kidding - in fact I have a magazine at home that literally says that on the front cover, in quotes, from Bono lmao.

Then Get On Your Boots came out and Bono started wearing eye shadow and we all went "lol what the fuck".

Meanwhile there are like 4-5 songs on NLOTH that I would say constitute what is probably their most interesting work since Pop, and STILL their most interesting work since Pop (as in the two albums and random one-off songs that have come out since haven't topped them).

That being said, I saw someone say Cedars of Lebanon in this thread, so that's definitely not a universal opinion (I LOVE that song).

I still wonder if Bono was thinking of that subset of songs when he was saying those things, because if we had received a full album of songs of that quality (let's throw Winter onto the album too), I would've agreed with him.
    I remember NLOTH coming out and thinking that as a whole album, it was their best since AB. As in, they worked as a collective. I agree that GOYB was not a great Lead Single. I personally thought that Crazy as it stands on the album would have been a sure-fire hit, followed by Magnificient / NLOTH / SUC / UC. GOYB agreed was better live than on the album. As for silliness, Elevation is no great lyrical masterpiece, but it can rock live.