1. There is a more relevant part in that article. The author wrote that U2 said they had delayed SOE because of Brexit and Trump. But this was not the whole truth, because Bono was seriously ill last year with a potentially fatal illnes. You can check it in the article, I don't have the Hotpress magazine, but I've read it in another forum.
  2. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    This thread is on a "need to know" basis...

+++

But all joking aside, depression is indeed a very serious matter, and no fun at all.
    I've known more than enough people who are struggling with this. And, unfortunately,
    also people who have suffered from this up to the point they couldn't take it anymore...

To call depression a "brush with mortality," is a bit besides the point. It is no brush at all.
    It affects you for life and serious conditions have to be treated with medicine.

The "why am I walking away?" (from all good things in life) does indeed characterize
    depression. But it's not walking away from mortality, but rather walking away from life
    because one is unable - or feels to be unable - to connect with life.

My point: if Bono suffers from depression, he would be suffering from this much longer
    than only a few months last winter.

But, as I have tried to show from well documented events and interviews, Bono has been
    close to a couple of life threatening events since November 2014. All these events up to
    the winter of 2016 may all have added up to something he would call with right "a brush
    with mortality" as being on the "receiving end of a stick."
    And it's only human to have experiences like that.
    well said (again.)
  3. he has used words like 'arrested' and 'shocked' these are terms used for heart attack aka myocardial infarction.........and if he had cardiac arrest and was shocked then he is beyond lucky to be alive and we are all beyond lucky to still have him!
  4. Originally posted by peatiedog:he has used words like 'arrested' and 'shocked' these are terms used for heart attack aka myocardial infarction.........and if he had cardiac arrest and was shocked then he is beyond lucky to be alive and we are all beyond lucky to still have him!
    Yikes, sounds plausible.
  5. I don't think you announce a big tour when you just had a heart attack. I think we should stop guessing, it could be anything, probably we will never know the answer. We can only fool ourselves with this kind of 'logic'.
  6. Very hard to keep a heart attack quiet also. There is no TMZ in Ireland (assuming this is where the incident) occurred but news like that would likely get out.

In either case he is looking better and perhaps one day he will speak openly about what happened.
  7. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but. . .

I was looking at the “setlist wheel” from the article on the SoE+I narrative, and was struck by the section titled “convulsion”. Could that have been the brush with death? It’s hard to tell when that setlist wheel was constructed (at least from the article; maybe the book clarifies?) but it’s clearly before the recording of SoE, as none of its songs are mentioned. That might place the creation of the wheel too early to reference the brush with death, but. . .

Why would there be a section titled convulsion? Especially as the last unique section before the “wrap-up” sections (home run, resolution, epilogue)? If this wheel was made up shortly after the brush with death but before any of SoE was finished, putting it last would’ve made sense, it being the most recent event in their history. The inclusion of “One Step Closer” in this category could also point a finger in this direction.

I admit this is all a stretch, but I dunno. It caught my attention, and like I said, I can’t think of another reason this would be titled “Convulsion”.
  8. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but. . .

I was looking at the “setlist wheel” from the article on the SoE+I narrative, and was struck by the section titled “convulsion”. Could that have been the brush with death? It’s hard to tell when that setlist wheel was constructed (at least from the article; maybe the book clarifies?) but it’s clearly before the recording of SoE, as none of its songs are mentioned. That might place the creation of the wheel too early to reference the brush with death, but. . .

Why would there be a section titled convulsion? Especially as the last unique section before the “wrap-up” sections (home run, resolution, epilogue)? If this wheel was made up shortly after the brush with death but before any of SoE was finished, putting it last would’ve made sense, it being the most recent event in their history. The inclusion of “One Step Closer” in this category could also point a finger in this direction.

I admit this is all a stretch, but I dunno. It caught my attention, and like I said, I can’t think of another reason this would be titled “Convulsion”.
    Its from before IE so way before the brush of mortality.
  9. It can't have been that serious if he's still smoking
  10. Still think it can't have been that serious as he and the band could /would /should have done a Bowie in 03 and walk away from everything until their mate was well, I am sure they would have the resources to tell livenation to do one.
  11. Plenty of unpack here, but some quick thoughts :

I get the feeling a summer 2017 tour to tie in with SOE was planned alongside an early 2017 release, but the well known brush with mortality saw the band reshape rewrite and revisit SOE in early 2017 - thus missing the original release window.

The Brush With Mortality? Lots of speculation here, but I'm thinking it may have been a heart attack, stroke or similar : there are degrees of heart attack, and some can be very mild so much so that sometimes people are unaware ; especially if they are asleep at the time. Very common in people around his age.

Common time of death during sleeping hours is normally between three and four in the morning. What is clear is, whatever it was, it shook him and reminded him that despite what we often think of ourselves, we are neither invincible or immortal.