1. I often get tickets on Stubhub for under FACE. I have yet to have an issue with them after 10 buys. One could of course decide to support the artist and buy off Ticketmaster as opposed to another seller. Your choice.

The only reason I am going to Omaha is its a long weekend and I have nothing to do.

2. Yeah, you're both right. The only problem is you can't tell who is the legitimate fan, & who is the scalper. I'm more than happy to buy off legit fans. I don't want to see them lose money, & I want to see a full house with every seat taken. But I don't want to give a scalper a single cent.

I'd buy off a reseller in extreme circumstances, but never above face. The answer for us is to buy & sell tickets here, & on other forums, where scalpers don't ply their trade. I've bought off here (from iTim), currently have tickets for sale here, & have sold Vertigo tickets on u2.com many moons ago. For casuals, I guess Stubhub is the answer, though not a great one.

Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    Right, I'd never buy over face value from them instead of Ticketmaster, but when they sell tickets at a loss, they become the sucker - not me.

But if it's only a loss of a few dollars it's no big deal for them. They will make that up in sales elsewhere. But if they can't sell their tickets, burn $325 per seat, that's when they become the real SUCKERS. I'm hoping this tour will hurt scalpers bad, with a kick in the balls to Live Nation for good measure.

Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah there’s no harm in paying face value or less than face value in the secondary market.........

I’ve went to a few gigs where I’ve got tickets outside the venue for well under face value.

That's not true. Every time you buy a ticket from a scalper, even at a loss, you're supporting a scalper.

As I said above, if they sell a ticket to you for a few dollars under face, no big deal, they'll make up those losses elsewhere. But if they are left with tonnes & tonnes of unsold tickets, that's when it kicks them in the guts.

I'm hoping that come showtime, there's plenty of scalpers with wads & wads of unsold tickets that are now worthless. That's the only way they'll re-evaluate their business model.

Yeah, I'd rather a bum on every seat at every show. But only if those seats are taken by fans who have all bought tickets at a fair price. If filling arenas comes at the expense of supporting scalpers, I'm more than happy to see empty seats. I'll feel the pain for the scalpers & Live Nation. Heck, if the band looks up, they may even re-evaluate their decision to sign with Live Nation, & what to do come 2020.
  3. You’re right to an extent that scalpers can make the money back up with other ticket sales however I think in this scenario I’am not part of the problem because I refuse to pay more than face value to a scalper and if everyone did that there wouldn’t be money in it for them at all. I don’t take responsibility paying face value or less regardless of who it’s from when it’s the people panic buying paying ridiculous amounts that are giving them there profit. I understand where you are coming from and I have thought about it before but I think my logic is sound, as of course I would lol.
  4. Sorry, IMO, you're part of the problem, not the solution A small part.
  5. I disagree, think about it if we all had my stance the scalpers wouldn’t exist because they couldn’t make money of it because nobody would pay over the odds.
  6. That's why I said a small part.

Your stance
    If scalpers sell 50% of their tickets at 200% cost, & the other 50% at face, they've made a very healthy 50% profit for the batch of tickets.

My stance
    If scalpers sell 50% of their tickets at 200% cost, but people refuse to buy the other 50% at face or even below, these tickets will be wasted. There will be ZERO profit. The scalpers business model ceases to exist.

If you buy a ticket from a scalper, even below face, you play a part in their business model (a small part). It's undeniable.
  7. deanallison is right on paper... but on reality it works as ddarroch says...
  8. My argument is perhaps only right on paper because we know almost for a fact that people will panic buy and pay more than face value. However if we’re making that assumption I think we can also make the assumption that unless laws come into place then we’re not going to get rid of scalpers anyway so what’s the point of making a very small stance against it and potentially missing out on a show for face value or missing out on getting a cheaper ticket when others have already done the damage by forking out crazy sums of money.

9. Why? Why just blame those gullible people that are prepared to pay stupid money for tickets. Why not take personal responsibility (not you Bloodraven) & acknowledge that every ticket bought from a scalper props up their market.

Look at all those $40 seats behind the stage. If scalpers sell them at a $1-$2 under face it's no skin of their nose, a 2-5% loss. If the scalper it's unable to sell the ticket it's a 100% loss. There is a HUGE difference for the scalper between unloading tickets close to face & not being able to sell them at all.

Yeah, we can say it's all the fault of those suckers that pay 200% above face. They're the one supporting the market. But the tickets sold at stupid profits are probably only a small proportion of tickets sold by scalpers.

Yes, those are the tickets where the big profits are skimmed of the top. But it's the majority of tickets, that are bought at a few dollars above face, at face, or even a few dollars below face that prevents losses for the scalper, propping up their market.

Heck, I'm happy to take a ticket of a scalper, but only if it's free. But every single cent is helping them, not just every cent above face.
  10. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]

Why? Why just blame those gullible people that are prepared to pay stupid money for tickets. Why not take personal responsibility (not you Bloodraven) & acknowledge that every ticket bought from a scalper props up their market.

Look at all those $40 seats behind the stage. If scalpers sell them at a $1-$2 under face it's no skin of their nose, a 2-5% loss. If the scalper it's unable to sell the ticket is 100% lots. There is a HUGE difference for the scalper between unloading tickets close to face & not being able to sell them at all.

Yeah, we can say it's all the fault of those suckers that pay 200% above face. They're the one spring the market. But the tickets sold at stupid profits are probably only a small proportion of tickets sold by scalpers.

Yes, those are the tickets where the big profits are skimmed of the top. But it's the majority of tickets, that are bought at a few dollars above face, at face, or even a few dollars below face that prevents losses for the scalper, propping up their market.

Heck, I'm happy to take a ticket of a scalper, but only if it's free. Every single cent is helping them, not just every cent above face.
    yeah... not sure how should I had to phrase that, but I'm agreeing with you.
    I also avoid paying to scalpers even when they're under face value and prefer to pay full price in the official sale point (in my case I'm talking about football, not music shows, but the point is the same).

I say that Dean is right on paper because IF nobody (absolutely nobody) paid above face value, there would be no business for scalpers.

I wouldn't say that paying below face value is to blame for it, but it certainly doesn't help, hence it indirectly becomes part of the problem.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:My argument is perhaps only right on paper because we know almost for a fact that people will panic buy and pay more than face value. However if we’re making that assumption I think we can also make the assumption that unless laws come into place then we’re not going to get rid of scalpers anyway so what’s the point of making a very small stance against it and potentially missing out on a show for face value or missing out on getting a cheaper ticket when others have already done the damage by forking out crazy sums of money.
    yep, but paying for it, even below face value is not helping in any way to solve the problem. If you want to help with your "2 cents", it would be not paying them at all. Like other people have said (guess in this same thread? not sure), there's always a way to find tickets without the need to give a scalper a hand, and that would be more helpful, even if it's not a problem for us to fix.
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:My argument is perhaps only right on paper because we know almost for a fact that people will panic buy and pay more than face value. However if we’re making that assumption I think we can also make the assumption that unless laws come into place then we’re not going to get rid of scalpers anyway so what’s the point of making a very small stance against it and potentially missing out on a show for face value or missing out on getting a cheaper ticket when others have already done the damage by forking out crazy sums of money.

Yeah, those panic buyers are where the super profits come from, but they're only a small percentage of tickets sold. Everyone else is just propping up the market.

Yeah, we do need laws to change (it's actually happening in my state in Australia now). But until then it's up to everyone to do what they think it's right. Not say, my little action won't make a difference. Every little bit counts. So you choose, whether to forgo that ticket, or know that your scalper ticket is propping up that business, just a little bit.

But if you're on this site, you know that you will never miss out on tickets! There will always be tickets. Whether from drops, or trading or buying form other fans. Nobody misses out.

It's understandable if you have to travel, need the certainly now, so can't wait for drops. But everyone else should know they are playing a part in the problem of scalping, when they could just wait for drops, or chase up tickets on forums.

As for anyone who won't but primary tickets at face value, instead buying tickets off scalpers below face, for a BARGAIN...... You may laugh, but I nearly liken that to buying stolen goods. Laugh all you want