1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes to everything Still a beautiful example of how a deplorable vocal take can be ignored in the grand scheme of things and the whole performance be unanimously praised by audience and critics.
    I'm rewatching it right now and the 'audience' and how it was filmed/produced. is amazing.

Tried to look for cues that the band isn't live but they look/sound live to me. Edge has a wireless box plugged in and the amps are there. Could still be that they were mixed in with a backing track (or that only they hear their real playing in their IEM), but this doesn't look like mimicking/playback to me
  2. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I'm rewatching it right now and the 'audience' and how it was filmed/produced. is amazing.

Tried to look for cues that the band isn't live but they look/sound live to me. Edge has a wireless box plugged in and the amps are there. Could still be that they were mixed in with a backing track (or that only they hear their real playing in their IEM), but this doesn't look like mimicking/playback to me
    Googled it and apparently Bono & Edge were live and there was a backing track for the rhythm track. Odd configuration but when you want the get the sound on TV right when there's no time I guess it works best. Think award/talk shows had them do similar things from the 2000s onwards. Still believe MOFO Ema's 1997 was completely live though
  3. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Googled it and apparently Bono & Edge were live and there was a backing track for the rhythm track. Odd configuration but when you want the get the sound on TV right when there's no time I guess it works best. Think award/talk shows had them do similar things from the 2000s onwards. Still believe MOFO Ema's 1997 was completely live though
    It's usually either just the vocals live or the whole thing live or mimed, but doing guitar and voice live? Doesn't make any sense to me

4. Does anyone still have this video?
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It's usually either just the vocals live or the whole thing live or mimed, but doing guitar and voice live? Doesn't make any sense to me
    Maybe it was Bono's and Edge's vocals live, not Edge's guitar?