1. Nice pics Paul

2. Indeed, for my concert photography I use manual mode for everything (except focus).
  3. the G7X (and Mark II) are some of the highest technical standards for compact cameras, plus Canon has an amazing RAW Format. Unfortunately - you pay for what you get, these sweeties aren't cheap and they do not have a superzoom, what many concert goers would love to have, especially in stadium shows. The more zoom, the more compromise you need to make.
    And for multicams, we also need a good filming mode. Some cameras are not able to deliver both in equally good terms. (I'm sure the G7 are good at both, you just miss the zoom)
  4. Look who the cat dragged out!

You better take your camera to Belfast

Paul , I always enjoy your pics. Can't wait to see more of yours this tour.
  5. Originally posted by paulw77:Well, my post has started a healthy debate I see !

I do normally shoot with between -1 and -2 EV using the settings I posted earlier, and I would normally NEVER shoot in JPG but I do get a higher FPS rate on my camera when I do. I will give RAW a try at some of the shows on the upcoming tour though.

At the end of the day, the settings I use give me a good balance between enjoying the show and getting good photos without having to change camera settings all the time.

I would love to be able to take my "proper" bodies and lenses into a show, but that's not going to happen, so I'll make do with my G7X. I'm happy with the results and that's the main thing.

About the "dropping" framerate thing. Normally if you shoot RAW ,
    your framerate dropping should be solved with a fast enough memory card right?

I just bought a fancy new one 95/mbs /class 10
    and oh my gosh. I've seen the light I only used cheapo's and one decent card last tour and it slowed the M5 down. I thought it was the best I got out of that little camera. But now ...
    Now my mirrorless is back to "fully automatic" burst mode .
    I forgot how much difference a good card makes!

Also, I never adjust the EV's anymore. I used to do it but for a lot of devices i find it really messes with the vibrance and clarity of your colours and shot in general? But this must be different for every brand.

I tend to just shoot raw and be 100 % sure you I don't overexpose, ThenI feel I'm good?
    Because you can get more detail out of under lit pictures, than vice versa. Any overlit bit is pure loss of data.

I rather have a slightly faster shutterspeed, and underexposed picture compared to having the risk of overexposing. (Unless I want to)

I love to edit my pics though. I guess that's not for everyone and some wan't perfect photo's directly from the camera.
    For anyone not interested in that part, i guess "my process" seems a bit too much work

Apart from that, I study the show beforehand and analyze the lighting situations because I'm a fan and can not contain myself to remain spoilerfree... It does help predict a lot of movements and it can get you some cool shots imho.
  6. Well, according to here :

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/canon-g7xA6.HTM

The G7X can only do 1.2 frames per second in continuous mode when shooting in RAW, but 6.6 fps in JPEG ! This matches my real world experience with this camera.

Next time I pick up a memory card, I'll make sure it's fast, but I'm not sure it'll make much difference.