Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. For those that have seen both IE and EI. How is the bands energy compared to 2015? I have been listening to some IE shows and some of them are pretty great lookig back on them. Bono for sure seems more powerful.

From what i can tell EI seems to be lacking those peak U2 moments. I think Bad in the encore would sort this
  2. i prefer 2015...
  3. 13 as a closer definitely ends the shows on a different note, but thematically it works. It's just not 40, One or even Little Things. Haven't been to a show this time around, but I don't see COBL as being the "U2 moment" that Streets always was. Setlist bitching aside, I give the band credit for still playing a large number of newer songs and staying away a "greatest hits only" kind of a show.
  4. The SOE show is excellent as it was in SOI only this time there is Acrobat and MacPhisto and it seems the visuals are much stronger and much more of an alarming theme. In this show Bono has the same amazing energy and the band is in fine form and engaging . I would have to vote that this is slightly better than SOI for those reasons. The energy is really high the whole time.
  5. Comparing the I&E recordings with the E&I recordings and looking at the songs played. I&E tour is by far the better tour. By now the E&I tour does not hit me.
  6. They’re too similar for me to decide between them

Honestly tho each have their ups and downs, but I would argue many of the current one’s “ups” were already present on the innocent tour and by virtue are “downs”, so...

I think I’m ready for a U2 tour without so much emphasis on the tech of the stage and having to stick to a specific formula for the show. I’m not saying a simpler stage would yield different setlists, I just mean songs like Cedarwood or Sunday (as it is now) wouldn’t really hold up without the power of the visuals/narrative, and I wonder if that’s taking some of the U2 magic away. The opening part of the Joshua show last year was damn awesome because it was literally just U2 playing with the house lights on.
  7. It's always starts with the quality of the songs played live from the new album. The songs played on I and E from Songs of Innocence are simply better live than the songs played on E and I from Songs of Experience. The Miracle, Raised By Wolves, Every Breaking Wave were awesome live. Add in Song for Someone and Invisible. Plus Mysterious Ways, Streets/ With or Without You/ Bullet every show, plus October toward the end of tour plus a few rotational slots, including Bad. It's not even close IMO. It was a dream to see Acrobat live but E and I is a good show where I and E was a great one.
  8. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:They’re too similar for me to decide between them

Honestly tho each have their ups and downs, but I would argue many of the current one’s “ups” were already present on the innocent tour and by virtue are “downs”, so...

I think I’m ready for a U2 tour without so much emphasis on the tech of the stage and having to stick to a specific formula for the show. I’m not saying a simpler stage would yield different setlists, I just mean songs like Cedarwood or Sunday (as it is now) wouldn’t really hold up without the power of the visuals/narrative, and I wonder if that’s taking some of the U2 magic away. The opening part of the Joshua show last year was damn awesome because it was literally just U2 playing with the house lights on.
    I wonder what songs the band would do if they had an Elevation-esque, back-to-basics type of tour..still rocking,, but maybe stripped down visuals, backing tracks and tech.
  9. Originally posted by LostSailor:It's always starts with the quality of the songs played live from the new album. The songs played on I and E from Songs of Innocence are simply better live than the songs played on E and I from Songs of Experience. The Miracle, Raised By Wolves, Every Breaking Wave were awesome live. Add in Song for Someone and Invisible. Plus Mysterious Ways, Streets/ With or Without You/ Bullet every show, plus October toward the end of tour plus a few rotational slots, including Bad. It's not even close IMO. It was a dream to see Acrobat live but E and I is a good show where I and E was a great one.
    That's a good point. I will say the opening three songs of the last leg (LIAWHL, Blackout, LOH) were great, and American Soul went harder than I thought it would, but everything else sort of felt..."eh". Love is Bigger didn't feel NEARLY as epic as I'd hoped, Best Thing was honestly kinda terrible (should've went with the remix version since the beginning, don't care what anyone thinks but that version's a banger), Get out of Your Own Way was forgettable, etc. But I don't necessarily think it's the fault of the songs, it's the fault of the band for placing more emphasis with the stage on the Innocence songs. It was like they ran out of time to work out new stuff for a lot of the newer stuff.

Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    I wonder what songs the band would do if they had an Elevation-esque, back-to-basics type of tour..still rocking,, but maybe stripped down visuals, backing tracks and tech.
    Yeah definitely. It's weird. On 360, which was definitely WAY bigger a production, I never had the sense that the stage got in the way of the songs, you know? It was always just an awesome sort of "addition" to the show, the wrapping paper if you will. With the Innocence show, for me it's more difficult to really get "into" the songs that DON'T use the tech to its potential like some of the songs do.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:They’re too similar for me to decide between them

This! Less tech less backing tracks is better for me. They don’t really need all the backing and tech
  11. I mean in terms of IE vs EI they both have pros and cons imo EI has a better opening but falls flat once the innocence section hits. The Elevation - SOL part is fine but the show is boring after that. IE on the other hand starts just okay it could be improved but nothing is to wrong with it. Invisible and EBTTRT are terrible I will say the screen is used way better on EI. After that screen section IE is pretty fun nothing to special though. Overall I’d say it’s a draw.