Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. Originally posted by marik:[..]
    yeah, i did consider those 2 actually. But ultimately thought that after BlackOut and Lights (2 new songs that average joe likely wouldnt know) that they really wanted a crowd reaction to a known classic (ala I Will Follow). And I just figured the two-some Until and Mysterious Ways would provide that better than RFD or ABOY - which I assume joe average wouldnt know either
    This is kinda how I would imagine it. The band would never go for this in actuality but in theory if they went hardcore on the deep cuts/new material (while still keeping some classics in) here's how it would go:

1. The Blackout
    2. Lights of Home
    3. Red Flag Day
    4. Until The End of the World/All Because of You
    5. Beautiful Day
    6. Dirty Day
    7. Zoo Station
    8. The Fly
    9. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
    10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

11. Elevation
    12. Vertigo
    13. Last Night on Earth
    14. The Showman (Little More Better)
    15. Acrobat
    16. You're The Best Thing About Me
    17. Staring At The Sun/Summer of Love (Europe)
    18. Walk On
    19. Get Out Of Your Own Way
    20. Please
    21. City of Blinding Lights

22. One
    23. Breathe
    24. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    25. 13 (There Is A Light)
  2. Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone have any ideas/theories as to why they dropped Song for Someone after Tulsa? Personally, I actually enjoy the performance (mishaps and all) and think it sounded the most like its 2015 counterpart out of the "iNNOCENCE Suite". I can't tell if it's as vocally taxing as RBW or if it was to cut down the number of songs in the first act, but I go back to that Tulsa performance pretty often and even like the intro at the beginning. It could be as simple as the audience not vibing to it but I'm curious.
  3. Originally posted by akorpan:Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone have any ideas/theories as to why they dropped Song for Someone after Tulsa? Personally, I actually enjoy the performance (mishaps and all) and think it sounded the most like its 2015 counterpart out of the "iNNOCENCE Suite". I can't tell if it's as vocally taxing as RBW or if it was to cut down the number of songs in the first act, but I go back to that Tulsa performance pretty often and even like the intro at the beginning. It could be as simple as the audience not vibing to it but I'm curious.
    Maybe they realized one night too late that playing Song For Someone AND 13 in the same show would be a bit like... I don't know, like opening and closing a gig with Vertigo, who would do that!
  4. Song for Someone was the most boring song during 2015 already, let alone 2018. None of the crowd got into it.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Maybe they realized one night too late that playing Song For Someone AND 13 in the same show would be a bit like... I don't know, like opening and closing a gig with Vertigo, who would do that!
    Opening and closing with vertigo was a much greater sin, a complete waste of a Setlist spot, and to think some people got 40 instead or one of the other great closers on that tour. I wouldn’t have complained with getting SFS and 13 on the same night but the show was better on the last night in Berlin than on the first night in Tulsa, i love the innocence songs but they were no match for the ‘Berlin suite’.
  6. I just don’t think it quite went as the band had hoped. The early concept of the ieTour probably would have been fully realised had SOE not been so delayed. Remember, Bono said himself that SOE was coming and we all expected it late 2014 or Spring 2015. It didn’t arrive though and the ieTour went on. I think we would only have had that tour if both albums were out prior to it starting and it would have played out a little bit more like those early eiTour shows.
  7. Originally posted by Remy:Song for Someone was the most boring song during 2015 already, let alone 2018. None of the crowd got into it.
    It was pretty slow. The visuals with the boy was pretty good.
  8. Originally posted by iTim:I just don’t think it quite went as the band had hoped. The early concept of the ieTour probably would have been fully realised had SOE not been so delayed. Remember, Bono said himself that SOE was coming and we all expected it late 2014 or Spring 2015. It didn’t arrive though and the ieTour went on. I think we would only have had that tour if both albums were out prior to it starting and it would have played out a little bit more like those early eiTour shows.
    Haha yes, I still remember that 2014 September evening when we saw Bono's comments along the release of SOI and we thought SOE was just around the corner. Hahahahaha
  9. Originally posted by Remy:Song for Someone was the most boring song during 2015 already, let alone 2018. None of the crowd got into it.
    most boring song of the century

and re playing Vertigo twice - I actually enjoyed it at the time because the energy of the crowd was always up for it but yeh, looking back it would've been nice to hear something else
  10. They should have just waited until SOE was ready and released both albums at the same time as a double album titled "U2 Songs of Innocence and Experience". They then do the one tour only called "U2 Innocence + Experience Tour" and play 7 new songs from each album every night along with 10 hits. Thats a 24 song setlist which is realistic. Although knowing them they would probably do 10 new songs and 14 hits which is still pretty good.

I think the biggest problem people had with EI is that there wasn't much effort put into the new SOE songs. IE literally had a whole suite dedicated to the new songs with very fancy visuals. Bono inside the screen during Cedarwood Road, RBW and holding The Edge in is hand during UTEOTW. People think that Iris and SFS were boring but they're good songs which also had interactive or good visuals. Literally none of the SOE songs had that, maybe Blackout did? I guess the short turnaround time from JT finishing and EI starting didn't really help.
  11. I think it was the lead singer in Inhaler? I can't remember.
  12. I'm fairly certain yeah.