Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. I don't have a problem with them playing some SOI songs. But they could easily made other choices instead of playing the exact same segment of songs, with the exact same speeches, exact same graphics at the exact same spot in the show.
  2. Yeah well, speaking of the band that had just finished touring the Joshua Tree 30th anniversary tour, and then did it again a year later haha.
  3. the european leg had a great setlist, but the encore it's their worst by far.
  4. Might be a long shot, but does anyone have a screenshot of the word "BEN" on the screen when they flashed all the different words during the Intermission?

I remember someone posted that amidst all of our "Ben" puns during the setlist parties. And obviously I want it for personal reasons.
  5. I just check the Berlin U2.com stream and I didn't see the word "BEN" during the intermission. Show us the way.
  6. Miryclay I guess it was the Paris 2015
  7. I like both sides of the argument on the setlists and the shows. E&I was my least favorite U2 show of the 14 or so I have been to. So it ranked 14 out of 14. Was it a bad show? No. I understand all the complaints, but have to lean toward it being a good to great experience. Most of the songs at my only show in Duluth, GA were songs I wanted to hear. Acrobat alone made it a positive experience. If all they did was play Acrobat and then 20 Elevations in a row, I would have been happy lol.

Not necessarily my ranking of the songs, but how happy I was to see the song in the setlist rankings

Excellent:

Acrobat
    The Blackout
    Lights of Home
    I Will Follow
    Gloria
    The Ocean
    Desire
    Staring At The Sun
    Pride
    One

Good:

Until The End Of The World
    American Soul
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    City Of Blinding Lights

Ok:
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Elevation
    Vertigo
    Get Out Of Your Own Way

Awful:
    Beautiful Day(Bono's croaking his way through the intro is a cringe worthy moment at this point)
    Iris
    Cedarwood Road
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    Auto Tune Is All We Have Left

What is really bad about the show is THERE is no Red Flag Day, The Little Things, Book Of Your Heart, The Showman, and maybe even Landlady, which are all better than most of the SOE songs played, and much better than the SOI songs played. I am not a fan of SOI at all, and having a ok song like Song For Someone get transformed into 13, which is better, but still nothing specail...just a waste of time. I go see 3 shows on JT 2017, and I believe it was the only time they went 3 straight shows without playing anything from the yet to be released SOE.
  8. I can understand the criticism of the tour, especially regarding the first leg and the first few shows in Europe - but: I can also understand that they stuck to the "Dublin Suite" (Iris, Cedarwood, Song for Someone etc) for that tour, too - a really good, almost theatrical sequence and surely my favourite part of the IE-tour.

That being said, I am really happy that they found a different story to tell with the Berlin suite on leg 2 and that I had the luck to attend the last show of the tour in Berlin, which was one of the best U2 shows I have ever been to (that Gloria was so powerful, just like the early days).

The only thing I did not like is that there were too many backing tapes being used on that tour, at least for my taste, too much pre-recorded stuff.
  9. Originally posted by pleasegone:I like both sides of the argument on the setlists and the shows. E&I was my least favorite U2 show of the 14 or so I have been to. So it ranked 14 out of 14. Was it a bad show? No. I understand all the complaints, but have to lean toward it being a good to great experience. Most of the songs at my only show in Duluth, GA were songs I wanted to hear. Acrobat alone made it a positive experience. If all they did was play Acrobat and then 20 Elevations in a row, I would have been happy lol.

Not necessarily my ranking of the songs, but how happy I was to see the song in the setlist rankings

Excellent:

Acrobat
    The Blackout
    Lights of Home
    I Will Follow
    Gloria
    The Ocean
    Desire
    Staring At The Sun
    Pride
    One

Good:

Until The End Of The World
    American Soul
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    City Of Blinding Lights

Ok:
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Elevation
    Vertigo
    Get Out Of Your Own Way

Awful:
    Beautiful Day(Bono's croaking his way through the intro is a cringe worthy moment at this point)
    Iris
    Cedarwood Road
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    Auto Tune Is All We Have Left

What is really bad about the show is THERE is no Red Flag Day, The Little Things, Book Of Your Heart, The Showman, and maybe even Landlady, which are all better than most of the SOE songs played, and much better than the SOI songs played. I am not a fan of SOI at all, and having a ok song like Song For Someone get transformed into 13, which is better, but still nothing specail...just a waste of time. I go see 3 shows on JT 2017, and I believe it was the only time they went 3 straight shows without playing anything from the yet to be released SOE.
    SOI is in the top 3 of U2 records. And a 1000 times better than all of SOE. Which was just a bunch some leftover uninspired songs. Apart from Little things and Book of your heart.
  10. I just listened to SOI two days ago, after a long, long pause. A really good, strong set of songs.
    So much stronger than SOE.

The production is also much better than on SOE, which doesn't age well it seems, imho.

Maybe they should have included a different version of Every Breaking Wave, I think the acoustic versions are stronger. And maybe Cristall Ballroom should have been on it - and Invisible, too.

Back to topic: Invisible was very cool visually on IE, wasn't it?
  11. As far as I’m concerned, SOI is a 14 song album with Invisible, Lucifer and Crystal Ballroom. And a great album it is. A late career masterpiece IMO.

Also, I consider Book of your heart to be part of SOE. I like the album, not as well as SOI. The Best Thing/GOOYOW/American Soul trio kind of stand out like a sore thumb as overcooked attempts at a single.
  12. Originally posted by Papo:I just listened to SOI two days ago, after a long, long pause. A really good, strong set of songs.
    So much stronger than SOE.

The production is also much better than on SOE, which doesn't age well it seems, imho.

Maybe they should have included a different version of Every Breaking Wave, I think the acoustic versions are stronger. And maybe Cristall Ballroom should have been on it - and Invisible, too.

Back to topic: Invisible was very cool visually on IE, wasn't it?
    The problem is, for me anyway, Songs of Experience doesn't really flow very well. Order of the songs could and maybe should be different which would make the album better. Though a lot of the songs are very good live (which I suppose is standard U2). There's some weak ones though on the album I've got to say.

For me though, Songs of Innocence is a very good album and a lot better than Songs of Experience. Really enjoy listening to the songs and you can almost feel the narrative.