Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. Originally posted by ferrari:[..]
    SOI is in the top 3 of U2 records. And a 1000 times better than all of SOE. Which was just a bunch some leftover uninspired songs. Apart from Little things and Book of your heart.

Everyone can have their opinions. In 1997, when I told people Pop was my 3rd favorite after Achtung, and The Joshua Tree, I was continually told it was their worst album. I think SOI is their worst album, but it's still an ok listen. After hearing the lackluster "Misfire Of Joey Ramone," and the Apple Guy goes "What A Great Single!" I had a big laugh. I did not hate the song, but it just did not move me. And it was a little embarrassing on that very public stage.

Obviously, the Free album thing rubbed a lot the wrong way. I could have cared less. I had the album before I could buy it, which I did, but I found it one I had the least passion for in ages. I was a little more excited to get SOE, which to me is a much better listen. SOI may have a more solid concept with going back to their childhood, maybe tying in to Boy a bit, but it doesn't make it sound any better.
    Perhaps the best song, Wave, has that awful Teddy Bear Tedder sound of an old band begging to be accepted by pop radio with "modern" studio tricks. Offhand not sure if he produced it or not, but the song is FIVE BILLION times better with the acoustic version that was lost on the bonus disc. My other favorite Callifornia...was bogged down by the annoying intro to the point where I made my own edit, removing most of the Bah Bah Bah Buh Ra intro. Calling this a Top 3 U2 album means you have to like it more than at least 3 or more of the following: Rattle And Hum, Pop, Zooropa, War, TUF, ATYCLB, HTDAAB. That is insane to me, but I have to respect your opinion. SOE to me is full of stronger material. I can't even go to the trouble of listening to The Troubles anymore
  2. I would rank SOI somewhere in the middle of their albums, with SOE a notch or two below it.
  3. SOI is probably fourth for me, behind JT, AB, and R&H. SOE is somewhere in the middle, probably on the lower side. I enjoy most of the songs on there, some haven’t aged well at all though, but overall it just doesn’t feel coherent as an album to me at all.

That being said, with both of them I totally get why they’re so divisive. Some people love SOE and hate SOI, and I totally get that. Some hate both - I get that too. They’ve definitely got a fair share of tracks that aren’t for everyone and so I feel they, more than most U2 albums, just come down to personal preference.
  4. Such a cool intermission