2018-05-02 - Tulsa
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 29
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]

I do think they received unnecessary stick for including the innocence section for the Experience + Innocence tour.
    They included far too much of it on opening night.
  2. They rightsized it quickly by dropping Song for Someone, but dropping Raised by Wolves later on was a mistake.
  3. Originally posted by superchuk5:[..]
    This show was nuts. Did any E+I shows eclipse it?

I’m partial to LA1 since I was there and Dublin 4 had a great set, although that was built up over the whole Euro leg and wasn’t like the huge surprise of Tulsa

To recap from Tulsa:
    - 27 song opening night
    - First Acrobat
    - No JT songs for first time since 87
    - Return of Pop and MacPhisto
    - Wild Horses and All Because of You return after a decade. Add The Ocean if you exclude Roxy
    - 8 New songs + 4 SOI holdovers
    It was a brave move for the band to do. I thought it was neat that the setlist did not cater to the casual U2 fan.
  4. After the first couple of shows, I didn't look at the setlist again until I saw the tour later in Chicago. I was so confused when SBS when into UTEOTW without RBW. I would've left out Iris and kept RBW, that song was the perfect companion to UTEOTW.

I loved the E&I show I saw. I personally didn't miss any of the JT songs. However, I can understand how a casual / old time U2 fan might not have liked the show. No Bad, No Streets, No WOWY, no 40, etc... just an overall lack of classic U2 iconic songs. I thought it was great, although I think the encore should've kept WGRYWH in the 1st spot, like they did with Tulsa.
  5. I was going to go to this show (and rehearsals). Bailed because of changing jobs.

Don't really regret it.
  6. 3 years ago today.
  7. 27 songs!
  8. Also, how about just the fact that U2 played in a place like Tulsa at this point in their career?! Nothing against Tulsa, just seems an odd choice for a band that seems to prefer sticking to the larger cities in the US.
  9. Originally posted by podiumboy:Also, how about just the fact that U2 played in a place like Tulsa at this point in their career?! Nothing against Tulsa, just seems an odd choice for a band that seems to prefer sticking to the larger cities in the US.
    They did that to get their 'tour legs' away from a major market. Also because a smaller market arena can be booked for rehersals.
  10. Originally posted by podiumboy:Also, how about just the fact that U2 played in a place like Tulsa at this point in their career?! Nothing against Tulsa, just seems an odd choice for a band that seems to prefer sticking to the larger cities in the US.
    Tulsa just had a new arena, and they had a deal IIRC that they would get like 10 big opening shows. Something along those lines. Made sense at the time. All commercial.