2018-05-22 - Chicago
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 1
  1. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    This has been going on since 2001, if not before..people have and do complain to venues, but nothing has changed, I doubt it will
    I've witnessed one person challenge them, and the venue I was at nixed any "arrangement" they may or may not have had with them...

but then again, a queue was relevant during Elevation and Vertigo because you had the heart and circle... since then, there's really no point unless you plan on gripping the rails to try to catch a glimpse up their nostrils...
  2. Remember this bit from Willie's recent Rolling Stone interview:

Initially it'll be pretty locked down because, as with Innocence, the show is enormously complicated. My favorite thing is to design a show that has these amazing set pieces which are completely locked down and there are certain portions of the show between these pieces where anything can happen. So you can take a chance and if it goes completely off piece everybody knows in two songs time we can regroup and get back into the groove. That's how it will end up, I'm quite sure. Initially, of course, you have to rehearse a show and then you give yourself some wiggle room.
  3. Originally posted by MattG:It would surprise me if we see much more of SFS or RBW. If they're already cutting them now, they're obviously okay with disrupting that part of the narrative in favor of something else. And SFS really is back in the form of 13, you're not missing anything there really. I will say, it's a shame if you don't get RBW. That's a great live one.

If the cuts are just for a shorter show, that's some bullshit. But I really don't think they're going to just not add any other surprises along the way. Have some faith everyone!

I bet between the two Chicago shows, we see at least one tour debut.
    I'm confident we get some kind of tour debut in Chicago, too. For selfish reasons, I'm hoping that it's night 2. Was lucky enough to catch Gloria and The Crystal Ballroom last time around in 2015 at a pair of United Center shows, so I'm already spoiled, though.

Obviously we all hope they add material in place of SFS and maybe RBW if that one doesn't reappear. But didn't Bono say in an interview recently that they made some changes to the show so that it wasn't as :"indulgent"? One way to possibly interpret that vague comment would be "we originally intended to play the entire 'Innocence Suite' of songs from the 2015 show, but then realized 27 songs is more than enough. Let's get rid of two of the SOI tunes to trim it down to 24-25 for a leaner, meaner set.'"

If that's their logic, I do actually see where they're coming from. (But still no excuse for dropping Wild Horses! )
  4. Yeah why on EARTH was that dropped? Any theories?

I forgot my headphones at work today and I don't have speakers, so I can't listen to it yet and it's killing me. But I heard it has the album intro and was a great electric version?
  5. No theories other than U2 sometimes being insecure perfectionists, even after 40 years of doing this. They must not have been as happy as we all were to hear it.

But what a missed opportunity. And even as much as I love Wild Horses, how cool would it be to have the desired "rotation" on this tour actually happen to start the encore, before the Women speech and One? To never know what they were going to start the encore with would be pretty awesome (and as a side note, one of the only things about the Vertigo Tour that I actually enjoyed).
  6. Originally posted by MattG:Yeah why on EARTH was that dropped? Any theories?

I forgot my headphones at work today and I don't have speakers, so I can't listen to it yet and it's killing me. But I heard it has the album intro and was a great electric version?
    Same faith as A Sort Of Homecoming or Miracle Drug in 2015. Lukewarm crowd response maybe.

Or.. my theory.. they needed to impress the press present at the opening night, played a few bonus and rare tracks and after that cut down the setlist to its normal length for the tour. Similar to what they did in Seattle last year. Same reason, same longer set, same rarities.

7. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Same faith as A Sort Of Homecoming or Miracle Drug in 2015. Lukewarm crowd response maybe.

Or.. my theory.. they needed to impress the press present at the opening night, played a few bonus and rare tracks and after that cut down the setlist to its normal length for the tour. Similar to what they did in Seattle last year. Same reason, same longer set, same rarities.

So stupid if either of these are true.
  8. Originally posted by Remy:[..]

The thing about that theory is that I don't think the press would be impressed by Wild Horses, it could be a fan favorite, but it's not something the press would pick up, imho.

I can see the lukewarm response theory being right specially if the one and only reason why they even considered Wild Horses was to turn on the crowd for the encore. Like if the only purpose of the song was to get the crowd excited, then if it didn't happen, there was no point making the encore longer.
    Still, I wouldn't understand why not giving it another shot in San Jose or LA at least.
  9. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

The thing about that theory is that I don't think the press would be impressed by Wild Horses, it could be a fan favorite, but it's not something the press would pick up, imho.

I can see the lukewarm response theory being right specially if the one and only reason why they even considered Wild Horses was to turn on the crowd for the encore. Like if the only purpose of the song was to get the crowd excited, then if it didn't happen, there was no point making the encore longer.
    Still, I wouldn't understand why not giving it another shot in San Jose or LA at least.
    They did actually, some sites such as Rolling Stone reported about Wild Horses in particular. Like "Watch U2 perform Wild Horses for the first time since XX".