1. Prefer giving money to recording-thieves, fan-scammer companies rather than to the band?
  2. I don't prefer to but I also prefer not to need the equipment to burn the discs, print the discs, do artwork and have the packaging materials etc. I wouldn't buy often but if I come across a nicely packaged version of a standout or famous show then I can sure be tempted.

Obviously I'd prefer the money to go elsewhere but the product itself isn't available elsewhere so......
  3. I'm into this for the music. Bootlegger designed artwork doesn't change about the music. Flac audio gives me everything I need.

But like I said before...collector mania ?
  4. Originally posted by hoserama:I'm into this for the music. Bootlegger designed artwork doesn't change about the music. Flac audio gives me everything I need.

But like I said before...collector mania ?
    I’ve never listened to the one or two I bought. Literally shelf items instead of a T-shirt or poster. The Barcelona one I bought isn’t even using the best audio source (imo) from that show.

Gathering dust in any case. Just like most of what I’ve bought (inc official).
  5. Agreed about dust-gatherers and about being nice mementos from particular shows, both from the past and from shows one has attended. But I can't avoid thinking of where that money goes. Even with the nicest packaging and best recording ever, fact is that you're giving money to greedy companies or individuals. I can't help hating that.

The only reason why I would buy (and have bought) a bootleg is to liberate a rare source and make it freely available on this website.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:Agreed about dust-gatherers and about being nice mementos from particular shows, both from the past and from shows one has attended. But I can't avoid thinking of where that money goes. Even with the nicest packaging and best recording ever, fact is that you're giving money to greedy companies or individuals. I can't help hating that.

The only reason why I would buy (and have bought) a bootleg is to liberate a rare source and make it freely available on this website.
    Most companies we give money too are greedy. I can’t condone the buying of bootlegs but I’ve did it so infrequently in the past that I can make some peace with it.
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Most companies we give money too are greedy. I can’t condone the buying of bootlegs but I’ve did it so infrequently in the past that I can make some peace with it.
    Yeah, greediness is all around - even within the U2 corporation itself. But at least they don't steal others' work, unlike bootleggers. I got so pissed off when I saw my recording of Barcelona1 being pressed and sold on ebay for a fortune. That's only happened once to me but there are tapers who have been stolen and scammed a hundred times.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I got so pissed off when I saw my recording of Barcelona1 being pressed and sold on ebay for a fortune. That's only happened once to me but there are tapers who have been stolen and scammed a hundred times.

Ding ding ding, a winning post.

I've been bootlegged too many times to count. I have friends that give me guff for releasing ANYTHING (as opposed to the limited amount I do) due to the likely chance of bootlegging. Several of my recordings were bootlegged because I gave those recordings to aa well known french taper, who either sold those recordings to the bootleggers or got super sloppy and they lifted it from him (either way is unacceptable). These bootleggers are a bane on our hobby, so just remember that buying their wares puts extra money in their pocket and feeds the problem.
  9. I don’t see many about on eBay any more (which is where I got mine way back when from a guy who wasn’t selling anything else).

Is selling still a big thing? And if so where the hell are bootlegs allowed to be sold?
  10. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]
    These bootleggers are a bane on our hobby, so just remember that buying their wares puts extra money in their pocket and feeds the problem.

Ding ding ding, another winning post.
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy:I don’t see many about on eBay any more (which is where I got mine way back when from a guy who wasn’t selling anything else).

Is selling still a big thing? And if so where the hell are bootlegs allowed to be sold?
    There's a fucking thousand on ebay, nowadays and always.