2024-03-02 - Las Vegas
Tour: U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Songs played: 24
Audio recordings: 4
  1. Nice to see Lanois back on U2 X Radio. I shall be looking forward to recording this one.
  2. Coming up today... Close To The Edge with Daniel Lanois. This is something I am going to enjoy.

This may be of interest to folks who like Lanois..

3. At the very begininng of this interview, Lanois jokes that if they keep discussing songs it could get "very expensive" for Edge, and they both laugh it off.

Im assuming this was a reference to the pay that Lanois would get as Producer on songs.... and kind of an ackward subject since I remember it being an issue around Bomb--->No Line (for Eno more so)
  4. Edge was pulled out all of the references to keep the conversation engaged and moving along. He is really good at that.
  5. Alert: new episode of Gavin Friday coming up Friday night!
  6. I don't see the U2 connection - are you confusing some obscure rapper/producer with the Eugene H Peterson, who wrote The Message Bible. Bono was a huge fan of his work and they became friends. I remember Bono dedicating a song on the first night at the O2 in London when he died in 2018.
  7. Steven Van Zandt had a pretty damn impressive Guest DJ show today. Not only did he talk for quite a bit (I think he could have hosted a 6-hour show, because he has a clear fondness for a lot of U2 songs), but his song selections were pretty surprising too.

Highly recommended. Check it out if you can.
  8. Any way I can listen to van zant episode in uk
  9. Just listened to the chat between two of my favorite musicians, Flea and Edge! Really enjoyed it. One thing stayed with me though:
    Gonna start by saying that SOI is one of my favorite u2 albums and I do believe some of their best 21st century work is in this album. As for SOE, I do enjoy some of the songs, but it's much more radio - friendly with the most obvious example being The Blackout. Their facebook debut of Blackout had me all hyped up, the sound was exciting and sort of punk rock which is really not the case with the album version; not even close.
    Towards the end of the interview / chat between Flea & Edge, Edge mentions that during their songwriting they do think of how a new song will compete with their back catalogue in the context of a live show, so that plays a role during the songwriting process, but he says that he never thinks about 'how is this gonna go on radio' or 'is this gonna sell', because then 'you're writing from a commercially minded place' and that kind of music is 'never interesting' and that 'it's always gonna be a pale immitation of sth else on the radio'. (1).
    Also, in the beginning of the chat, he mentions sth about imperfection (meaning that mathematical accuracy is not always good) in playing music which may give the song a special feel to it and may make a song great. He gave an example of how a specific song (don't remember which one, non u2) was initially great, but in the end with software and technology they fixed it and had perfect timing and drum beats on the exact right moment which eventually 'killed' the original vibe of the song and it had no personality. He is emphasizing the importance of the band members just being in a room playing together in real time as that technique is most probable to have the better creative output (which reminds me of what Ryan Tedder had said - in 2019 I think - about what U2 is up to for their next album) (2).
    Not posting this to judge the modern, radio - friendly production of SOE (some songs imo are certainly not commercially minded anyway) ; that has been discussed already. I'd just like to think that Edge will take these two principles (1 = not caring about commercial success & 2 = perfectionism might kill an idea and the personality of a song!) he mentioned in this chat into consideration when they're making their new album. Lockdown may have changed the way he thinks about the songwriting process or maybe they were just random thoughts, but they were so specific and interesting and he talks about them so naturally that I would like to believe that (1) and (2) are things he's gonna bring to the songwriting equation for a next album, if and whenever that is to happen.
  10. What was the point of announcing this in Japan? Will the show end up on the station?