1. PLEASE "send me a pm" IF YOU WISH TO MAKE AN ENTRY

This thread is meant to discus, compile and share notes on research with regard to various "vintage" U2 audio recordings.*
    Specifically aimed at retrieving lineage and source information (tapers, gear, etc.).

Practically it will be used to update on corrections & new additions to the U2START bootleg database as the result of such research
    and/or as being part of the ongoing AchtungBootlegs migration project.

* "Vintage recordings," because here lies often the problem of unidentified sources.

I felt the need for a dedicated thread that combines research with the AchtungBootlegs migration project, one, because this often
    very detailed information sort of disappears in the "General Audio Recording Topic (updates, Q&A etc.)" as result of the more general
    discussions concerning audio recordings over there. Some research (for instance to identify sources) will take time and so it may take
    longer to get replies or find updates. Therefore having a dedicated thread for this research makes it easier to find back notes and it
    will be more easy to have "slow" discussions. And, two, because most - if not all - of this research will be promted by the AchtungBootlegs
    migration, or else be implemented in previous updates.

The ultimate goal of this project is to have all info on circulating U2 audio recordings neatly gathered in one big database that includes
    download links, and samples for comparison and identification. An ambitious goal that will take years, but with slow and steady progress
    someday this goal may be reached.

To be sure: this thread is not for "thank you's," posting links to (off-site) recordings (unless part of a discussion), or requests:
    all of that can be done in the "General Audio Recording Topic (updates, Q&A etc.)."

2. I will transfer some of the research notes that I shared first in the "General Audio Recording Topic" a few moths ago:

For some reason the Werchter '83 concert has always been a sort of mess in our database. Unnoticed, perhaps, but the 5-star entry with no other header than FM Aerial Broadcast" had in fact two links with two different sources. One containing rather poor mp3's from an original broadcast at an incorrect speed, while the other had the 2007 re-broadcast captured by RickU2.

Then some three years ago, just before I was promoted to u2start mod, I shared my "repaired" original broadcast compiled from various sources. On the review page I already left a note that it had an annoying hum, as to be found in the transfer by Eric Naulaerts.

Recently Hoserama taught me how I can use the De-Hum from the incredible iZotope RX05, but then close inspection of my repaired version (which mainly consists in a pitch correction of that original broadcast) learned that the various sources used all had different kind of hums.

Meanwhile I had already discovered a new source in mono having both the original broadcasts, with the first part in nice consistent quality. Better than the first part of the Eric Naulaerts tape, but worse than the second part (starting with "Surrender").

All things considered, I decided to started out from scratch again and make a new "repaired" version that had the hum removed and all tracks separately speed corrected by comparing each track with the 2007 re-broadcast (Radio 2, The Netherlands).

It's still not perfect. The Werchter 1983 show was recorded in 1983 by the Dutch radio station KRO and broadcasted in two parts. For some reason the first part has never been shared in proper (stereo) quality and the radio DJ hosting the broadcast back then thought it was a good idea to make short statements now and then saying that it is a recording made by them. Probably with the idea to prevent bootleggers from bootlegging this show.

Of course, the 2007 re-broadcast is a good alternative. It has no "bootleg" warning, but it is missing the beautiful Surrender and the closing "40" with Annie Lennox. It is also severely compressed making it sound quite lossy. Like I said before, it is great in the car, but I personally prefer the original broadcast on the headphones.

NB: PLEASE QUOTE THIS ENTRY IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  3. ...and this one...:

1987-05-03 Worcester MA - Centrum (2nd night):
    This is actually one of the most intriguing entries I have come across in the last months...

I have found three distinctly different sources, one of which extant in two transfers (with both transfers having speed/pitch issues).

[Source 1] These are the Danafletch UAG "Sony TCKE5000s 3 head deck line out" transfer, and the "JEMS fixed" version ("likely 2nd Gen"). However, JEMS has only fixed the speed issue partially. Quoting BK for JEMS: " [a] non-linear speed issues, meaning that as the show goes on, the speed gets slower." (A solution for this would be to go through this show, indeed, track by track and taking either the second or the third source as a reference).

[Source 2] This show may also be known under the title "Ever Peaceful." A bit confusing, in my opinion, since there is the more famous "Ever Peaceful" Worcester bootleg from April 18, 1985 (a bootleg that I hope to share shortly in a meticulously cleaned-up version )

Anyway, although I have found no lossless counterpart for this show, I do think this particular source is the best sounding of the three. Although the balance (azimuth) is a bit off and it's a bit thin sounding in the low (+ WOWY is cut and, strangely enough, RTSS is in two parts with nothing really missing - I left it like this in case someone recognizes this and has a lossless version of this particular source).
    Still there is an update, since we had rather poor 128kb/s mp3's up, but since my own archive had in fact 192kb/s mp3's, these are up now (the difference is quite noticeable, although trained ears can still detect a bit of low-res)

[Source 3] known as "1st Gen Analog-Tape" is not only the worse sounding of them all, but besides "40" it also has Pride and WOWY missing.

4. ...and the last one for now:

I have updated the 1997-08-23 London UK - Wembley 2 show page / audio tab with flacs and fresh mp3's of the soundboard recording "An Emotional Goodbye" (Moschino Label – ML 06/07).

It was shared on u2start before as 192kb/s mp3's, but actually filed as "sbd/iem" (the presumably source recording). Perhaps it is all the same, but the Moschino bootleg might have had a mastering job. I don't have the original sbd/iem at hand, so I really can not tell.

NB: On its artwork the "An Emotional Goodbye" bootleg claims to be of the first London show (August 22), but actually most of it comes from the 23rd (well established by the various bootleg info sites, including U2T )

O, and yes, I do think the "An Emotional Goodbye" is a true soundboard and not an IEM. I think I can tell by the sound of it and the lack of "counts" and "funky sounds," but mostly because it's full stereo (I'm told stereo iem receivers were extremely rare in 1997 - but, please, correct me if I'm wrong!)

5. UPDATE FROM JUNE 5th, 2018

Thanks to @adrian73 the audio tab for 1983-06-10 Norman OK "Lloyd Noble Center" has been updated with the Mark Kirklin (aka mjk5510) master. A truly excellent recording!

This master still circulates as the "Mike Kirklin master," but the taper is actually called Mark Kirklin. This has been established by @mjk5510 in a discussion that took place in 2006 on Dimeadozen. For some (and fortunate!) reason, notes of that discussion were included in the folder of this recording that I have on my HD. I suspect they came along when on U2torrents the complete "War" Tour was shared (or at least the major part of what at that time was known to circulate).

Anyway, the most relevant of these notes can be found under the "spoiler" tag (because it is a neat way to include them and yet not to fill up this entire post):
    Spoiler (click to toggle)
    #1202042 by milesian at 2006-07-12 10:51:14 GMT
    So great of you to share this directly with us.
    I've got one of those circulating copies but it will be
    a bonus to hear your "approved" and known lineage set.

#1202268 by brewdog at 2006-07-12 14:07:25 GMT
    mjk,

I've had a copy of this show for nearly 20 yrs, since my buddy
    tim let me dub a copy. It's always been one of my top five U2 shows,
    mostly because this was the first time I heard the loose and funky
    versions of the War songs instead of the Red Rocks and official stuff.

I think I have a 1st generation copy now and this is a major upgrade.
    I don't know how to thank someone for 20 yrs of enjoyment (let me just
    say I've only been married for 11 ), but dude, you have my thanks
    for taping this show & sharing it.

cheers-
    #1202321 by hanzel at 2006-07-12 14:53:55 GMT
    Thanks man!

Is it the same as this recording???:

U2 1983 War Tour
    June 10, 1983
    Lloyd Noble Center, Norman,OK.
    Complete Show
    Audience Recording

Length: 69.17 Minutes

Tracklist:

01. Out Of Control
    02. Twilight
    03. Bono Speech
    04. An Cat Dubh
    05. Into The Heart
    06. Surrender
    07. Two Hearts Beat As One
    08. Seconds
    09. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    10. The Cry/Electric Co.
    11. Bono Speech
    12. I Fall Down
    13. October
    14. New Year's Day
    15. Gloria
    16. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
    17. I Will Follow
    18. "40".

Taping Gear:
    Unknown Type of mic > Sony WM-D6 Portable Analog Recorder

Taper:
    Mike K.

Transfer:
    Analog Mastertape > CD1 > EAC Secure > CDWAV Editor (Re-indexing) > MKW ACT

Comments (RB):
    There is a tapeflip edit between 'I Fall Down' and 'October'
    There is also a small edit before '40'

#1202615 by mjk5510 at 2006-07-12 18:07:04 GMT
    The show mentioned above is from the same master source, I'm sure that
    particular version is one of my numerous versions I mastered, seems each time
    someone wanted a copy I went back to the master tape to take another stab at it.

The taper should be Mark K (Kirklin) not Mike K, I do recall trading it to a
    trader once that asked if he could torrent it at a U2 site.

The version here on DaD will probably be my last stab at it unless I dramatically
    upgrade my software (which I'm considering later in the summer if it is financially
    feasible).

#1202850 by hanzel at 2006-07-12 21:08:13 GMT
    In comment #1202734 mjk5510 wrote something like this:
    Hanzel,
    Yes, though it is Mark not Mike, traders mix it up all the time.

Thanks Mark,

now we all know who the real taper is.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but could you maybe also share the original
    unremastered recording of this one??

For the purists, like me

#1203127 by mjk5510 at 2006-07-13 00:05:47 GMT
    fv45pfap,
    This show was done with the parametric eq in cool edit pro which is a bit
    limited but seems to do a good job on the better quality tapes...I'm getting
    ready to change software though to a Mac based Peak w/Waves EQ plug in if
    I can convince myself to spend the $$$'s.
    I have a friend that uses it exclusively and it has generated very satisfying results.

I used a graphic eq for years and in the last 4 or 5 mos. switched over to a
    parametric eq, in general it seems to be much better/transparent eq system but
    is not very forgiving unlike the graphic eq. The smallest tweak seems to throw
    everything off and make it sound like crap to the point you have to go back and
    adjust everything else. The parametric eq has been a huge learning curve for me,
    the graphic eq was much quicker and easier, if I hadn't had a friend to coach me
    along the way I might have given up on the parametric as I just didn't have all
    the time to invest in it that it took him to learn it. If you have ever used a
    parametric eq you know what I mean...

To be sure: mjk5510 taped, mastered & remastered this show, but in the trading days of the 80-ies this tape came to circulate under the name "Mike Kirklin master."

This recording is the only known source of this show, but there are 4 distinct versions:
    1) master*
    2) remaster by mjk5510
    3) A Godfather Records bootleg "Hold On Tightly" (GR 438)
    4) an (hitherto) unidentified vinyl bootleg (but also using the Mark Kirklin master), shared by brewdog (on U2T) from an n-generation audio cassette.

*The bootleg "Sooner War" (as mentioned on u2depot and u2kristall) is another copy of the master (likely not much higher than 1st gen, see note #1202615 by mjk5510 under spoiler tag above)

The first three versions are up on the 1983-06-10 Norman OK audio tab.

The copy of the (inferior) vinyl bootleg has not been uploaded. I hope someone can help me identify that bootleg.

Last but not least: this recording is truly great and especially enjoyable in the mjk5510 remaster!

6. Please send me a pm if you have additional info on any of the recordings above, or if you wish to make an entry.
  7. UPDATE: JUNE 15, 2018

Meanwhile a truly excellent "vintage" recording of the 1982-12-14 Copenhagen, Denmark - Falkoner Teatret show surfaced on dime

It is a transfer of the master tape recorded by Danish taper Honecker. I believe this is the master source for all known recordings of this date.
    It is, however, a huge upgrade to the unknown generation "no source info" recording we always had for this date on the show page / audio tab. That "no source info" is really a bad, heavy (or "multiple times") mp3 compressed bootleg. No fun.

This bad bootleg is actually the same that is shared on u2torrents as "1982-12-14 - Copenhagen - Upcoming War ** REQUEST **" (see: http://u2torrents.com/t?id=8842), but I don't think it is the actual "Upcoming War" bootleg. This because U2Kristall speaks of, "simply a fantastic CD of a pré- war concert." And furthermore:

[...] The sound of this recording is clear, loud and close sounding. The instruments are a bit too loud, the rhythm section is most prominent. The audience is mostly in the background.
    This description doesn't quite match with the sound that is found on the "no source info" bootleg. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the original "Upcoming War" bootleg, so if someone has a copy, please let me know by pm (or use the "submit recording" button on the 1982-12-14 Copenhagen, Denmark show page / audio tab).

Still, this new transfer of the master is true gem. It should be surperiour to any previous versions, because it is the first time that the actual master is being shared digitally. A lovely early "War" show with Steve Wickham on violin during "Into The Heart" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (as too on the original SBS of the "War" album). Sound is simply excellent!

8. UPDATE: JUNE 20, 2018

2001-08-25 Dublin, Ireland - Slane Castle 1

I know: technically Slane Castle is outside of Dublin and, from the top of my head, it is located in County Heath Meath. I've been there once to see The Rolling Stones. That was in 2007. And what I remember best is the walking back to the busses through the rain and through the mud. And the Irish never stopped singing. It was the best what we've heard all day! (No offense to The Stones, but it wasn't there best...)

Anyway, back in 2001 U2 played twice at Slane Castle. The second concert was released on DVD and on an apparently very limited edition 2CD for the U2C fanclub. I count myself lucky to have received this gift way back when. Anyway, as you all know, both releases are just brilliant.

The contrast with what is available of that first show is just enormous. At best there are the two identical bootlegs "A Sort Of Homecoming (Gold Edition)" and "Kings Of The Castle (Ultimate Sound)." One of them has been in our database for a long time (bonus tracks, however, excluded) as mp3 only. And "A Sort Of Homecoming (Gold Edition)" has been submitted the other day by @IBombZ11 in lossless flac (silver cd-rip)

But, and here begins the research part, a few other sources are known.

One of them is a rather terrible recording that has more near-by audience singing than actual U2 performing one of the best Elevation sets (or perhaps it is a good recording if you like audience singing - but, well, it isn't at all what I remember from singing on 2007!). This bootleg goes by the title "Elevation Karaoke" (1.5 star..."it's bad folks").

An other source is the recording that was made with a SHARP MD-MT868 minidisc recorder (mono) with SP-BMC-1 microphones. Both u2depot (U2D) and AchtungBootlegs (AB) give taper credits to Mike Tovey:

U2D: http://www.u2depot.com/u2/elevation/elevation082501a.html [discontinued website]
    AB: https://achtungbootlegs.u2start.com/index.php?nav=250&bootId=1349

But AB also mentions a bootleg with the name "The Valley Explodes" that has the same recording gear info (BMC-1+MT868) but with taper credits to Jérôme Lamboley (see "August 10 update" below for updated information).

Now it could be the case that both tapers used the same gear and that there are two distinct sources, but as "The Valley Explodes" also mentions an analogue equalizer (Sherwood EQ 4608) it could also be that Jérôme Lamboley was the recording transfer (using the equalizer for D/A convertion), or that Lamboley remastered the recording and transferred it as "The Valley Explodes".

Additionally, at some point Danafletch shared the Lamboley files at u2torrents (U2T with the following comment:

I received this is trade who got this from JL, Not much info was given other than Minidisc Recorded. Freq looks a little funky but OK to me , could be because it is recored with a minidisc. Looks lossless to me, if it is not , this is they way it was recorded. I included a spec and freq to look at. Sound a little noisy for the first few songs , then quiets down and is a very nice recording. I do not know about any tapers wishes, no info was given I hope it is ok to torrent.
    This torrent is now off the tracker, and I don't have the "original" [proviso] Mike Tovey files, so I can't compare anything.

If anyone has any additional info on this source, please contact me by pm.

Thanks to @IBombZ11 for submitting the "A Sort Of Homecoming" bootleg and for prompting this "research" entry

NB: there is some persistent rumour that a soundboard of this show circulates in local Dublin circles... (comments & speculations on the sbd in the "General Audio Recording Topic" please)
  9. Originally posted by BigGiRL:UPDATE: JUNE 20, 2018

2001-08-25 Dublin, Ireland - Slane Castle 1

[…] a few other sources are known.

One of them is a rather terrible recording that has more near-by audience singing than actual U2 performing one of the best Elevation sets (or perhaps it is a good recording if you like audience singing - but, well, it isn't at all what I remember from singing on 2007!). This bootleg goes by the title "Elevation Karaoke" (1.5 star..."it's bad folks").

An other source is the recording that was made with a SHARP MD-MT868 minidisc recorder (mono) with SP-BMC-1 microphones. Both u2depot (U2D) and AchtungBootlegs (AB) give taper credits to Mike Tovey:

U2D: *** no longer available ***
    AB: https://achtungbootlegs.u2start.com/index.php?nav=250&bootId=1349

But AB also mentions a bootleg with the name "The Valley Explodes" that has the same recording gear info (BMC-1+MT868) but with taper credits to Jérôme Lamboley.

Now it could be the case that both tapers used the same gear and that there are two distinct sources, but as "The Valley Explodes" also mentions an analogue equalizer (Sherwood EQ 4608) it could also be that Jérôme Lamboley was the recording transfer (using the equalizer for D/A convertion), or that Lamboley remastered the recording and transferred it as "The Valley Explodes".

Additionally, at some point Danafletch shared the Lamboley files at u2torrents (U2T with the following comment:

[..]
    This torrent is now off the tracker, and I don't have the "original" [proviso] Mike Tovey files, so I can't compare anything.

If anyone has any additional info on this source, please contact me by pm.

[…]
    UPDATE AUGUST 10, 2018

@popmarter2008 send me this additional info:

In response. I can confirm Jerome Lamboley recorded the Slane show. I have taped some shows (Arnhem/Antwerp) together with him and he was using the mentioned minidisc and mic. He recorded all his shows in mono. He recorded the show probably from the Heart, as he did in Antwerp and Arnhem. We had a 'special' way to get into the heart.

After recording he took it through the Sherwood which is a equalizer. I can not imagine him to give the recording a name. There was a time in u2 history were people made up stupid names, the spoiled the trading pool. Same goes for the napster-thing.

Hope this helps.

NB: note that Lamboley used the Sharp 866 + SP-BMC-1 + BPF-2 (not the 868 that Mike Tovey is credited for).
    So, apparently, the Lamboley source and the Mike Tovey recording are not the same.
  10. UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 10, 2018

1981-12-08 - Cleveland, Ohio - The Agora
    https://u2start.com/shows/470/#!audio

@ew6655 posted this in the "General Audio Recording Topic" a few days ago, which got me started:

Originally posted by ew6655:I found this old FM show over at guitars 101 ! I don't have mediafire , mega or we transfer account to
    upload this to show pages???
    If someone could help upload ? Here's the Info! Thanx!

U2 - 1981-12-08 - Cleveland, OH
    (WMMS FM Broadcast FLAC)

Agora Ballroom

Lineage:
    WMMS FM -> 1st Gen cassette -> CDR -> FLAC

01 - Another Time, Another Place
    02 - I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    03 - An Cat Dubh
    04 - Into The Heart
    05 - With A Shout
    06 - The Cry
    07 - The Electric Company
    08 - October
    09 - I Will Follow
    10 - Twilight
    11 - Out Of Control
    12 - Fire

Incomplete […]
    After some research I found three different "bootlegs" of this broadcasted show with only one of them
    available in lossless flacs - and this is not the one brought up by ew6655:

1) Cleveland (WMMS FM Broadcast) > 1st Gen cassette > CDR > FLAC (but lossy, see below).
    2) Cleveland (The Agora) - "Source history unknown. Broadcast live on college radio station URUW [sic.]."
    (NB: URUW = WRUW).
    3) Live From Cleveland 08.12.1981 - only extant in heavily (noise?) processed mp3's and with different track list
    (plus "11OCTT" & "The Ocean", but minus "Fire").

Because of somewhat conflicting information from the various info files regarding the broadcasting radiostation,
    I first referred back to good old Pimm (may his good soul rest in peace!):

"College station Case Western Reserve University's WRUW broadcasts the show."
    - Pimm Jal de la Parra, U2: A Concert Documentary (2003:29)
    This reference by Pimm is good enough to presume it was indeed broadcasted on WRUW-FM College radio.
    However, the first source (WMMS FM -> 1st Gen cassette) mentions "WMMS", which is a commercial Cleveland
    based radio station. And, in fact, one can hear an announcer at the very beginning (before "ATAP") say
    something like, "This is U2 recorded live at The Agora here at 'MMS..."

Now it is not unlikely that both WMMS and WRUW broadcasted the show, but source 1 and source 2 do
    have some differences between them. The WMMS-FM (source 1) seems to have most commercials/radio adds
    cut out, but one bit after "With A Shout! (Jerusalem)" was overlooked. It says: "We're Going To Jamaica..."
    The WRUW doesn't have that. The questions is at what point was this cut out. Already before
    broadcasting on WRUW? Or by someone who did the tape transfer to digital?

But at this point I think the most significant difference is (besides sound quality), that the flacs of source 1 are lossy.
    See SA under spoiler tag:
    Spoiler (click to toggle)
    - this why only source 2 is available in flac (source 1 & 3 are mp3 only).

Regarding source 3, Live From Cleveland 08.12.1981, AchtungBootlegs reports this as Pre-FM.
    Probably because it has 2 extra songs (11OCTT & Ocean) while it omits "Fire". Perhaps because of the sound,
    but I only know this source as mp3 and that doesn't sound good... It's heavily processed.
    Either by multiple mp3 encodings, or some overworked noise reduction...

Hope is that there are still some tapes somewhere in some basement that have captured the entire broadcast
    from either one of the stations. Until then the recording history of this show still remains somewhat cloudy.

As always, if you have additional information regarding this show, please send me a pm
  11. UPDATE JANUARY 29, 2019:

1981-11-13 - Albany, New York - J.B. Scott's

The only recording from this date is a soundboard, but I've found four different "outings" of it.

Two of the four seem to run at a more or less correct speed:
    1) The rare, limited to 250 copies silver cd "Boys To Men", and
    2) the one that was in our database all this time with 128kb/s mp3's

The latter has not much info to go on, but it is different than the other three. Which are, apart from the "Boys To Men" silvers:

3) The silver cd bootleg "We Nearly Live Here", and
    4) fede's "rip" of what appears to be the same source as "We Nearly Live Here", but shared on U2torrents with 16/48KhZ flacs.

Outings "3" and "4" seem to run a bit too slow.

The soundboard itself is a bit hissy, suggesting it was taken from an analogue copy (possibly 2nd, or even 3rd generation). It's also a bit "off-balance" at times. Audience/crowd noise is a bit distant but still audible with a great "club" feel.

But apart from these critical notes, it is obviously a wonderful document of the first night of the American "October Tour".

If anyone has more info on the "Boys To Men" limited edition silver cd's, please let me know via pm,
    or by replying here: "General Audio Recording Topic"

As you can see in the image below, the label info is hard to read. I think it says: "LACD Archives 009," but I could be mistaken.

12. ...UPDATE MARCH 5, 2019

....or "vintage audience recordings...continued"
    :

1987-05-27 Rome, Italy - Stadio Flaminio

Most valuable in this update was this piece of information I found in one of the comments on U2Torrents made by @mauxworld:

The show was recorded by a DJ-radio (Radioluna - Rome) whose name is Fabio M. with Sony WM-D6 + Sony ECM. It seems that this little radio [station] has broadcast many times at night the Rome concert, someone with this recording made the lp bootleg.
    Fabio M. also recorded the Rome-rehearsal ([only] in rare trade circles) and the concert of Modena 1987-05-29 [...]
    Source: U2Torrents - Comment #47442 by mauxworld @ 2012-04-14 11:40:20 GMT
    I incorporated this info in our database and it makes it fairly easy to organize the various transfers made from Fabio M.'s recording. In fact, the main extent source is the 1987 vinyl bootleg "Native Son" [Easy Flyte Records ‎– Flight 901].
    It has been transferred a few times directly from the vinyl's, most recently by @ShadowsATT and which I added to the show page / audio tab.

Also quite famous is the transfer that was made for the silver bootleg "Earthquake In Rome," which, on its turn, was liberated and distributed as a free-trade CD-R with the title "Blown By The Wind".

U2Depot also notes a distinctive remaster made by Steve Vahey that circulates under the title "Party Politicians". I have not been able to locate this remaster. If you do happen to have these files, please submit them, or send me a pm.

PS: AchtungBootlegs has Fabio M. fully credited as Fabio Minotti.