1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I loved and enjoyed it to the max in IE (I didn't catch it during 360 either, I'm just judging from videos and bootlegs) but I reckon it didn't sound great even back then. And yeah everything that means less Edge is a crime!
    That's funny I'm in the opposite camp, EBTTRT only sounded good in 2011 esp the US leg after the first few shows they really got it down.

Acrobat is the highlight of 2018 IMO
  2. Stay was the highlight of the tour but not the film for me since they made it a rehearsal should have had the one that was on the film as a bonus track if they wanted to do there fancy stuff that takes away from the song. From the film it’s probably a tie between a few of them I love lights of home, zoo station, the fly, wild horses, acrobat and love is bigger. Even New Year’s Day is pretty special with the new version.
  3. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:[..]
    That's funny I'm in the opposite camp, EBTTRT only sounded good in 2011 esp the US leg after the first few shows they really got it down.

I was specifically talking about Edge and his whammy tone. Even Better kicks ass EVERY SINGLE TIME no matter what But since it's a song 100% built around Edge's guitar tone and effects, if that part isn't totally nailed it just doesn't have the same effect.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I was specifically talking about Edge and his whammy tone. Even Better kicks ass EVERY SINGLE TIME no matter what But since it's a song 100% built around Edge's guitar tone and effects, if that part isn't totally nailed it just doesn't have the same effect.
    Ahhh I see! You're right it all depends on Edge for that song definitely. The guitar and whammy sounds really good to me in 2011 and 2015. The 2018 sound is a little thin to me (?). I think in 2018 Zoo Station, The Fly and Even Better sound a little thin guitar wise I don't know what it is. I feel like it's missing that OOMPH that it usually has am I wrong? lol
  5. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:[..]
    Ahhh I see! You're right it all depends on Edge for that song definitely. The guitar and whammy sounds really good to me in 2011 and 2015. The 2018 sound is a little thin to me (?). I think in 2018 Zoo Station, The Fly and Even Better sound a little thin guitar wise I don't know what it is. I feel like it's missing that OOMPH that it usually has am I wrong? lol
    You are right on the money. There are all kinds of theories among scholars of Edge's tones, so far it seems to be a mix of him not having amplifiers on stage anymore (they're underneath the stage and therefore they don't bleed into Bono's and Edge's vocal mics anymore, which gave the guitar sound an extra oomph) and him using sound modelling with his beloved Axe FX units instead of the good ol' dedicated effects (exchanging the authenticity of the old effects for the reliability and handiness of the Axe's).
  6. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:[..]

Yes, it only sounded good in 2011.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Edge and Dallas bought numerous old WH-1 effects back in the day. I guess they decided to abandon them. I didn't notice the difference in the later tours.
  8. Anyone has a theory on why they played The Fly the way they played it? It was so strong on Vertigo and at the time Bono stated that they rerecorded the song (as advised by Bowie) and that they finally got it right...only to play it differently in 2011 and 2018?
  9. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:Anyone has a theory on why they played The Fly the way they played it? It was so strong on Vertigo and at the time Bono stated that they rerecorded the song (as advised by Bowie) and that they finally got it right...only to play it differently in 2011 and 2018?
    What do you mean? I thought the 2018 version was pretty close to the studio version, maybe the closest they've ever played it – even more than on Zoo TV because there Bono's guitar was too prominent in the mix (and that was really good, but strayed from the album sound).
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    What do you mean? I thought the 2018 version was pretty close to the studio version, maybe the closest they've ever played it – even more than on Zoo TV because there Bono's guitar was too prominent in the mix (and that was really good, but strayed from the album sound).
    Yes, but in 2005 Bono stated that the Vertigo tour version was how the song was supposed to be played. The 2018 version heavily relied on pre-recorded stuff. It's not bad, but I prefer the Vertigo Tour version.
  11. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:[..]
    Yes, but in 2005 Bono stated that the Vertigo tour version was how the song was supposed to be played. The 2018 version heavily relied on pre-recorded stuff. It's not bad, but I prefer the Vertigo Tour version.
    I don't recall Bono saying that but that must have been around the time when he said Edge was playing punk rock from Venus, right? And then they delivered One Step Closer, Yahweh and all that... Enough said