1. I think people are just getting carried away because it’s taking longer than usual to release this dvd. There’s no doubt in my mind it will happen, the when I don’t know and the why it hasn’t been released already I don’t know but they will release it. Next year is probably going to be a u2 free year (no new album, no tour) so perhaps they’re just saving releases to fill the gaps. I bet someone at u2songs knows more about this but just can’t spill the beans lol. And off topic but where’s our rehearsal news as well, (of course I’m being light hearted but I would like some news).
  2. Just thinking about how they could package it and give it context....

Could potentially see a deluxe box being released of SOI/I+E and SOE/E+I? we know how much they love box sets!
  3. I only hope they won't butcher the picture quallity for the DVD version as they did for the I+E DVD, which is utterly unwatchable. I watched it once and thought there was something wrong with my eyes. No, the picture is totally blured. It sits on the shelf ever since and every now and then I think about throwing it away, since I know I will never play that disc again.

When it was released I did some screenshots and compared them with the same screenshots taken from the bootleg DVD from the HBO leaks, which are far superior:

https://u2start.com/topic/10579/636/12/

How could they sell this as an offical product? How can they ask money for this? This time I won't buy it untill I know the quallity is up to normal DVD standard.
  4. Originally posted by Happy24:I only hope they won't butcher the picture quallity for the DVD version as they did for the I+E DVD, which is utterly unwatchable. I watched it once and thought there was something wrong with my eyes. No, the picture is totally blured. It sits on the shelf ever since and every now and then I think about throwing it away, since I know I will never play that disc again.

When it was released I did some screenshots and compared them with the same screenshots taken from the bootleg DVD from the HBO leaks, which are far superior:

How could they sell this as an offical product? How can they ask money for this? This time I won't buy it untill I know the quallity is up to normal DVD standard.
    Wow, I didn't remember that. It's truly awful It looks worse than the crappy 1992 audience video bootlegs - and those were free, non-profit!
  5. Originally posted by Happy24:I only hope they won't butcher the picture quallity for the DVD version as they did for the I+E DVD, which is utterly unwatchable. I watched it once and thought there was something wrong with my eyes. No, the picture is totally blured. It sits on the shelf ever since and every now and then I think about throwing it away, since I know I will never play that disc again.

Man, at first I thought there was something wrong with my DVD player, it was so bad, really unwatchable as you say. I know it’s not Blu Ray but no way DVD quality is supposed to be like that. Hopefully they can give us something much much better & watchable this time for us using DVD players.
  6. The problem ist that for years Music DVDs (not only by U2) are only produced in NTSC worldwide for economic reasons.

Earlier DVDs used to be produced in PAL for european regions, offering much better Picture quality than NTSC.
  7. The tv broadcast was possibly better because it was in HD which the regular dvd wouldn’t have been. Blu Ray will be better than the HD tv broadcast. For the cost of a blu ray player these days it’s worth getting one to watch the show in the best standard possible.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:The tv broadcast was possibly better because it was in HD which the regular dvd wouldn’t have been. Blu Ray will be better than the HD tv broadcast. For the cost of a blu ray player these days it’s worth getting one to watch the show in the best standard possible.
    Yes, I am aware of that. Of course, HD picture will be better than DVD, but I compared the official DVD with a DVD bootleg made from the broadcast. Both were DVDs, both should be at least of the same quallity. The official DVD was of course also made from the original HD material, which was butchered beoynd any standards.

Hardti made an explanations 2 posts above, that might be actually true. I never thought of that. It is a shame anyway. I am not paying for this kind of product any more.
  9. I never actually watched the IE DVD even though I brought it on release... used to watch the BBC broadcast version instead in HD but lost it when I upgraded my Sky box 👎
  10. Originally posted by Happy24:[..]
    Yes, I am aware of that. Of course, HD picture will be better than DVD, but I compared the official DVD with a DVD bootleg made from the broadcast. Both were DVDs, both should be at least of the same quallity. The official DVD was of course also made from the original HD material, which was butchered beoynd any standards.

Hardti made an explanations 2 posts above, that might be actually true. I never thought of that. It is a shame anyway. I am not paying for this kind of product any more.
    I’m with you now, I remember seeing the original post and being surprised at the official release being worse quality but thought that was compared to the Hd tv version didn’t read it properly. That’s poor really, even more glad I opted for Blu-ray then. I’ll do the same with the Berlin release.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:The tv broadcast was possibly better because it was in HD which the regular dvd wouldn’t have been. Blu Ray will be better than the HD tv broadcast. For the cost of a blu ray player these days it’s worth getting one to watch the show in the best standard possible.
    Red Rocks 83, Paris 87, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01, Chicago 05 and Pasadena 09 have all been released in DVD and the image quality was just as good as the DVD allowed for. Obviously it's never gonna look as good as your 2019 1080p or 4K just because they weren't recorded in that type of quality*, but one would expect it to look as good as the DVD quality allows for. The issue with the Paris DVD is probably that it was poorly converted (more like downgraded) from the bluray edit to save time instead of being properly mastered for DVD.

*Exception to be made: Rattle And Hum was superbly remastered and upgraded to bluray with very good results*, so it CAN be made. It's costly and I doubt they'll do it for any of the older releases, but it can be made.

**Including making the songs run at their proper speed and pitch which kind of ruined the DVD for me and many others.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Red Rocks 83, Paris 87, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01, Chicago 05 and Pasadena 09 have all been released in DVD and the image quality was just as good as the DVD allowed for. Obviously it's never gonna look as good as your 2019 1080p or 4K just because they weren't recorded in that type of quality*, but one would expect it to look as good as the DVD quality allows for. The issue with the Paris DVD is probably that it was poorly converted (more like downgraded) from the bluray edit to save time instead of being properly mastered for DVD.

*Exception to be made: Rattle And Hum was superbly remastered and upgraded to bluray with very good results*, so it CAN be made. It's costly and I doubt they'll do it for any of the older releases, but it can be made.

**Including making the songs run at their proper speed and pitch which kind of ruined the DVD for me and many others.
    Rattle & Hum was a film for cinemas, so the original film material has a different resulution than the other DVDs have (Red Rocks, Paris, Sydney, Mexio, Boston, etc..)
    A DVD has a SD resolution (PAL 720x576, NTSC 720x480).
    If you watch SD material on a HD screen (most of the TVs are full HD 1920x1080 or at least "HD-ready" 1280x720) then the film material is being upscaled by the TV screen. Of course it looks a bit blurry because the convertion from SD to HD is done automatically by adding pixels.
    I think R&H has been shot on 35mm, and if I google the resolution of a 35mm cinema film, then it seems to be that it is similar to a 4k resolution:

"It is estimated that 35mm film has a digital resolution equivalent to 4K: 35mm Imax film equates to 6K, while 70mm Imax is closer to 12K. Regardless of how they are shot, most films will be converted into a digital format for editing, colour grading and VFX (called digital intermediate and usually at 2K resolution)"

If they used the original 35mm material again for the Blu-ray no wonder it looks good. I don't think they used the converted material for the SD DVD for the Blu-ray.