2018-06-25 - New York
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 3
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by ymalkiel:Pleas excuse the length of this post, but I really wanted to share my thoughts.

I had an outstanding experience at the show last night. After being completely underwhelmed by the concert at Nassau Colisieum a few weeks ago (seats behind the stage, disappointed with the flow of the set list, not getting the flow of the narrative) this last show at MSG was amazing.

I went with one of my best friends, and the biggest U2 fan I know. We talked about the issues this tour has had, including the lack of set list variation and the whole narrative arc, so I had that in mind as we went in. I mentioned that what the band has done with this tour has been to take a Broadway theatrical production on the road. Hence the strict structure of the set list. But, my problem was that I just didn’t get the arc of the narrative — from innocence to experience, and them back to innocence again. My friend agreed, and mentioned that he’d be happy if we got to hear ABOY.

Getting in to MSG, we had our expectations surprisingly low for a U2 show. We scopes out a spot on the floor close to the rail, and a super nice lady, who was standing right by where one of the books was sitting on the walkway by the giant screen, said that we’d be happy if we stayed near her. Boy, was she right!

So we staked a spot directly behind the nice lady. The light go down, and as the crowd settled in, so shifting occurred, and a space opened up right in the rail. The nice lady said there was room to move up, so I grabbed that spot right on the rail. That helped make the night so amazing, because at a few point during the show, Bono stood directly in front of my to sing. (I’ll try to post some photos later).

As the show progressed, I did my best to really follow the flow of the narrative arc. Being that close, it became easier to focus. And this time, I really got it.

Looking back at the set list, I see Acrobat as the true crux of the show. It is at this point that they transition from experience back to innocence.

The story begins at home, when Bono and the band are boys. Bono loses his mother, and their neighborhood is rocked by violence and unrest. With the passion and innocence of youth, they form a band, and go out into the world.

As they explore more and more of the world, they see more, learn more, change more. They gain experience, but lose their innocence. It’s hard not to be affected by all that they’re immersed in.

This, of course, leads to indulgence, excess, and pushing the limits of what they can handle. On the precipice of losing themselves, they look at themselves in the mirror, and see themselves on the brink.

How can we they be normal again? The answer: Family. Their wives. Their kids. Each other. They return home. Their new homes, with family and children. Their children, especially, bring them back to the place of innocence. This the return to innocence through the wisdom of experience.

By the end of the show, they’re taking their message of love back out to the world. I think that’s the overall narrative arc. And it’s so important to them (or Bono, at least) that they’re not chasing up anything.

So the show is much more of a theatrical, musical experience than a straight ahead rock concert. There will be time for that the next time around (I hope ??). In the meantime, I extraordinarily happy that I experienced this very special show a second time.

But do you think the casual fan gets all this theme?
  2. First of all, thanks for reading my lengthy post.

Second of all, no, I don’t think the casual fan gets this. I didn’t even get it the first time I saw the show. I’m sure that many, many people going to this show expecting a rock and roll concert are leaving disappointed, confused, and underwhelmed. That’s how I felt after the show at Nassau Coliseum last month.

But let’s be honest, what casual fan picked up the new album and said, “Wow! I can’t wait to hear these new songs in concert!”? Speaking with new neighbors of mine (I moved last summer) about seeing U2 on this tour, I got two responses: (1) Are U2 still cool? And (2) I’ve never seen U2 live, maybe I should go. Neither of these casual fans would have been all that happy with the current tour.

That being said,I still had an amazing experience on Sunday night at Madison Square Garden. And I also think that it’s brave for U2 to challenge themselves and their audience this way.

My only remaining criticism of the tour (and I totally respect all of those that I’ve read and heard), is that they excluded “Little Things.” I think it’s the best song on the album. Both meaningful and cathartic, it deserves a place in this narrative arc.

And now a simple suggestion for the band: Before taking some time off, as they’ve indicated they will, do a small tour. Hit arenas in major markets again. Play 4 nights. Strip all of the bells and whistles from stage production. Throw away a structured set list. Just kick some rock and roll ass. How awesome would that be?
  3. Glad you enjoyed the show. A U2 show is generally always a good experience. I think we’ve been spoilt in the past with so many great shows. My sense is, and I haven’t yet attended, is it’s a solid show and very produced. Let’s hope it evolves and they don’t remain too stubborn to ignoring some of their better or less well known (Pop) hits. Variety is the spice of life!!
  4. Not sure if many of you have seen this but it's not perfectly in time in places but a great job.