1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Using the Amsterdam shows on the I&E tour as an example half the venue capacity at 35 euros over 4 nights would be €1.2million give or take to cover the venue costs. The band brought in over $7.6million whatever that translates into € at the time. They won’t break even on this rumoured tour they’ll make a substantial amount of profit. They’ll gross probably at least $70million using the vertigo tour shows in Australia/NZ/Japan as a guide taking into account also the increase in ticket price since then. It won’t cost anything like $70million to put on 15 shows. As an example 360 the most expensive tour in history cost $850,000 a day to run show or no show, even if we used that figure with the rumoured dates they would still be making about $40million profit.

4 nights in Amsterdam is not a good example. We're talking about 1 or 2 nights maximum in a lot of cities, which are not guaranteed sell outs. Sydney and Melbourne probably yes, but other cities might not bring in that much money. For 1 night you need to rent the stadium for at least 3 days, a big stadium show might cost between half a million and a million a day (I don't know exactly). They couldn't even bring Elevation to Australia just because the Australian dollar was too cheap. I'm not saying they can't make money, but I don't think it's as easy as you say. Anyway, I don't think this tour is about making profit as much as it is about keeping U2 alive in Australia and Asia. But maybe it's too late already.

2. possible?
  3. Its possible but this guy is full of shit He never posts something credible. He posts whatever he sees or hears in addition to things he makes up himself.
  4. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]

4 nights in Amsterdam is not a good example. We're talking about 1 or 2 nights maximum in a lot of cities, which are not guaranteed sell outs. Sydney and Melbourne probably yes, but other cities might not bring in that much money. For 1 night you need to rent the stadium for at least 3 days, a big stadium show might cost between half a million and a million a day (I don't know exactly). They couldn't even bring Elevation to Australia just because the Australian dollar was too cheap. I'm not saying they can't make money, but I don't think it's as easy as you say. Anyway, I don't think this tour is about making profit as much as it is about keeping U2 alive in Australia and Asia. But maybe it's too late already.
    I really think it is as easy as I say. They will gross around $70 million, it’s not happened yet but we can only use previous tours figures in this part of the world as a reasonable guide and that’s what they will gross at least. You’ve just said yourself it will cost around half a million to a million a day to put on a show, that falls in line with the figures I gave giving the band a $40 million profit. The tour isn’t all about making profit, but it still has to be profitable, which it will be.
  5. After bring Kanye then Jay Z down here, I've been saying Kendrick will be the next opener for a few years now haha.

Hope I'm wrong.
  6. Do you really think stadiums/big venues earn that much from bands renting the venue?

The Rolling Stones in Hamburg 2017 only paid 255,000 euros for 14 days of use.

Usually, a facility fee is slapped on top of the ticket price, maybe 2.50/3.00 euros.
  7. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Do you really think stadiums/big venues earn that much from bands renting the venue?

The Rolling Stones in Hamburg 2017 only paid 255,000 euros for 14 days of use.

Usually, a facility fee is slapped on top of the ticket price, maybe 2.50/3.00 euros.
    I don’t think the rent alone would cost half a million - million, I assumed Rick was talking the overall cost per day of putting on a stadium show. If 360 cost $850,000 a day to put on this tour would probably be nothing like that but even using that generous figure they would still be in $40million profit. Unless the ticket sales go horrendously bad they shouldn’t have any issues, if anything I’ve probably been underestimating how much it will gross slightly and they’ll probably be making even more money. 12 shows on the vertigo tour in that part of the world brought in almost $50million all they years ago (I’ve taken off Hawaii’s figures). A few more shows and with increased ticket prices will bring that figure up substantially.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I really think it is as easy as I say. They will gross around $70 million, it’s not happened yet but we can only use previous tours figures in this part of the world as a reasonable guide and that’s what they will gross at least. You’ve just said yourself it will cost around half a million to a million a day to put on a show, that falls in line with the figures I gave giving the band a $40 million profit. The tour isn’t all about making profit, but it still has to be profitable, which it will be.
    again, I'm not sure about that.. US dollar is up quite a bit against the australian dollar since 2011, capacity will be lower because it will not be 360 again, there's absolutely no guarantee demand is still the same. You can't just say it there will be a 40 million profit. I think Paul McGuinnes was talking about PopMart costing half a million a day, without even putting a show on... well, if anyone knows the right numbers, they might convince me, but I think if you want to make a good profit on 10-15 shows with so much travelling involved you really need some big sell out crowds. Attendance numbers like on Zoomerang or Popmart might not be good enough.
  9. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    again, I'm not sure about that.. US dollar is up quite a bit against the australian dollar since 2011, capacity will be lower because it will not be 360 again, there's absolutely no guarantee demand is still the same. You can't just say it there will be a 40 million profit. I think Paul McGuinnes was talking about PopMart costing half a million a day, without even putting a show on... well, if anyone knows the right numbers, they might convince me, but I think if you want to make a good profit on 10-15 shows with so much travelling involved you really need some big sell out crowds. Attendance numbers like on Zoomerang or Popmart might not be good enough.
    I wasn’t using 360 as an example for ticket sales I was using vertigo. Paul McGuinness said it cost $850,000 a day for 360 even on non show days. Using that figure which is probably too high for this tour we can work out costs to be around $30 million so that’s the break even point, vertigo brought in nearly $50million gross for 12 shows, there will be more than 12 shows this time and the prices will be up from the vertigo tour. There’s always the possibility they don’t gross as much as they expect but you’ve got to imagine they’ll be estimating a gross of around $70million just as a sensible guess. I don’t see how these numbers can lie really, we don’t know the figures this time round for a fact but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume it would cost less than 360 and they would bring in more than vertigo so using that knowledge the tours very profitable.

Here’s a link about the 360 operating costs
    https://amp.news.com.au/entertainment/music/u2-360-degrees-arrives-down-under-as-most-expensive-rock-act-ever/news-story/28917ac8388e3668311a423560606439

And here’s where you can find the gross figures for Australia/New Zealand/Japan for vertigo tour
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_Tour
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I wasn’t using 360 as an example for ticket sales I was using vertigo. Paul McGuinness said it cost $850,000 a day for 360 even on non show days. Using that figure which is probably too high for this tour we can work out costs to be around $30 million so that’s the break even point, vertigo brought in nearly $50million gross for 12 shows, there will be more than 12 shows this time and the prices will be up from the vertigo tour. There’s always the possibility they don’t gross as much as they expect but you’ve got to imagine they’ll be estimating a gross of around $70million just as a sensible guess. I don’t see how these numbers can lie really, we don’t know the figures this time round for a fact but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume it would cost less than 360 and they would bring in more than vertigo so using that knowledge the tours very profitable.

Here’s a link about the 360 operating costs
    https://amp.news.com.au/entertainment/music/u2-360-degrees-arrives-down-under-as-most-expensive-rock-act-ever/news-story/28917ac8388e3668311a423560606439

And here’s where you can find the gross figures for Australia/New Zealand/Japan for vertigo tour
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_Tour
    but there's a lot more than daily costs... and an estimated gross is no guarantee, so they will need some margin for that as well.. and again, the value of the Australian dollar has declined quite a lot since 360...
  11. Yes, australian dollar has declined and 360 was 9 years ago. And the stage is huge. So I really believe that the tour will cost AT LEAST as 360, but maybe also more than 360. More I think about it, and more I think that it cannot work economically.