1. Originally posted by DanialGowans:Further i live in AUS , im a long suffering dedicated fan !! But i would rather see them at the end of a year long tour playing as tight as a drum ( no pun ) rather than some patch work quilt of a second thought quick ( lets do this for the money ) half assed tour, they dont owe us anything, but i do believe they think about 'us' more than most suspect , they would also want to put on a memorable final fling and that means some solid time hitting many stages before they hit ours!!!!

The Lovetown tour in 89 was basically a patched together tour but the band were on fire and played out of their skin and were much better than they were on TJT in 87,with it been such a small tour they were able to put all their energy into the gigs but I reckon they won't just play Oz and NZ they will visit a few different countries as it wouldn't be worth their while rehearsing for 2 months to play a handful of stadiums.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]

The Lovetown tour in 89 was basically a patched together tour but the band were on fire and played out of their skin and were much better than they were on TJT in 87,with it been such a small tour they were able to put all their energy into the gigs but I reckon they won't just play Oz and NZ they will visit a few different countries as it wouldn't be worth their while rehearsing for 2 months to play a handful of stadiums.
    Yup i will take that point, ur right , however they aren't in their mid 20s anymore, nor are they in that zenith (especially musically) zone that is an artists most fruitful or adventurous time , where u can throw something like that tour together and make it work , when ur in ur mid 50s and especially in today musical landscape it just wont work!! ?
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:We had MattG on here saying he knew for a fact it was a contractual obligation. I have accepted that even though I find it incredible (and not in a good way). I don’t understand it at all. You couldn’t write in a contract that the band were obligated to play x amount of tours because what amounts to a tour? If the band decide to play a few small venues is that a tour? Who gets to say what defines a tour? If it’s a case of number of shows then the band could have played a few more shows on the I&E and E&I tours to make up for the number of JT shows. I understand that the band make livenation money, I understand it as a partnership, I don’t understand where it becomes a point of livenation being able to turn around and say this is what you have to do. I’ll accept MattG’s word but there’s no information out there that allows me to understand it.

What's hard to understand? The contract could be written to say that U2 would be paid a certain figure, & must gross a certain amount in ticket sales over the contract period. Maybe they were well short of it, even with that monster 360 tour. So maybe it would have been tough to reach this figure with only arena sales, hence the stadium shows. Who knows. Certainly none of us
  4. Originally posted by DanialGowans:[..]
    lol what are they going to do ? Sue them ? lol that would be a popular decision for LiveNation to take, it would be the beginning of the end of LiveNation if they did !

Really? I don't think so They're a business. You think an artist could just take 100 million off them, with no strings attached, & refuse to perform. Of course there would be repercussions. Other artists would understand this, & wouldn't jump ship.

Remy is right. Along with being a band, U2 is a business. Any contract obligations they have, they are likely to try & fulfill. What those obligations are, who knows.
  5. Originally posted by DanialGowans:God people ... wake up!!! This proposed tour of 'downunder' is NOT going to happen , if my contacts are anything to go by! If it ever was seriously considered its so dead in the water now its not funny. Regardless think about it! A tour like this was speculated to be goes against every blueprint/roadmap that U2 has ever had when it comes to touring ( no new songs , don't want to be seen as a heritage act etc etc ) they are habitual creatures when it comes to firing up the beast that is the U2 machine! We will see them in 3 years time with a new collection of songs that they believe in and that stir the fire inside that will drive them for one final hurrah!!

Originally posted by DanialGowans:[..]
    Sorry i should have clarified the JT30 hiccup! It was a ONE OFF, thought as a means to fill in time given SOE delays and an idea to keep the band tight and ready to roll when it came to hitting the road with SOE behind them ( we all know how it takes them sometime to hit their straps when playing live and the older they get the harder that gets to hit those straps!! it was an exception to the rule!! Wont be repeated! Contracts??? U2 can write or break whatever contracts they want , Do you really think that anyone pulls their strings? Do they even have strings ? NO! Why? Because they have never been nor ever will be puppets to any entity!!

Haha, gotta love the internet. Are you this certain, forceful & condescending in real life? Or is that the internet talking, & you are mild mannered & meek

Unless your "source" is four musically talented Irishmen, I'll try to stay optimistic, take in that other people's sources have said & hope this tour will happen. Though I have to admit, the guy I know that tours with the band has had very little to say this year, after confirming others rumours late last year. While a friend's LN source has said they have been forbidden from discussing any coming tour.

As others have said, why not tour for the sake of touring, visiting long suffering fans, for the sake of profits, for the sake of contract obligations. TJT30 tour, blew away any thoughts that U2 wouldn't tour without a new album. Why does this have to be a once off, why can't it be repeated? I bet that before 2017 you would have said that the JT30 tour would never happen.

6. Are we talking about Glen Hansard, Van Morrison, The Edge and Damien Rice?
  7. Lovetown was technically make up dates for the Joshua Tree tour. They had planned to play Australia in early 1988 but postponed to work on the Rattle and Hum project.
    Sort of like the make up dates on the Vertigo tour late in 2006. U2 went 8 months and then started up again for those shows. Certainly not their preference to do it that way but they are capable of it.
    I see this, if it happens, as sort of the same thing. Plan was to bring the JT 30 tour their but they ran out of time and had to focus on SOE and that tour. So this tour would be some type of hybrid using the JT 30 stage as rumored but modified. It may not happen, but it is certainly feasible. I think this tour, if it happens, is because the band thinks they need to play these areas as it has been a long time vs. a contract obligation. But I have no information to confirm that. They are a business and if they are contractrally obligated they need to do it. If it helps them fulfill a part of a contract to give them future flexibility, I could see that as well.
  8. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]

[..]

[..]

Haha, gotta love the internet. Are you this certain, forceful & condescending in real life? Or is that the internet talking, & you are mild mannered & meek

Unless your "source" is four musically talented Irishmen, I'll try to stay optimistic, take in that other people's sources have said & hope this tour will happen. Though I have to admit, the guy I know that tours with the band has had very little to say this year, after confirming others rumours late last year. While a friend's LN source has said they have been forbidden from discussing any coming tour.

As others have said, why not tour for the sake of touring, visiting long suffering fans, for the sake of profits, for the sake of contract obligations. TJT30 tour, blew away any thoughts that U2 wouldn't tour without a new album. Why does this have to be a once off, why can't it be repeated? I bet that before 2017 you would have said that the JT30 tour would never happen.
    Ok maybe i should have taken it down a notch, ur absolutely right , and no its not one of the 4 talented Irishman who is my source , but they are in the know and used to handle them for Universal Records back in the day, but its so extremely frustrating hearing this and that and with the wait already approaching 9 years its like dangling a carrot, its chinese water torture !!

PS : At least i dont hide behind pseudonyms, my real name is my handle and im more than happy to admit when im in the wrong!
  9. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]

What's hard to understand? The contract could be written to say that U2 would be paid a certain figure, & must gross a certain amount in ticket sales over the contract period. Maybe they were well short of it, even with that monster 360 tour. So maybe it would have been tough to reach this figure with only arena sales, hence the stadium shows. Who knows. Certainly none of us
    I can see how a ticket sales theory could work. Again though ticket sales could have been achieved by extending I&E and E&I. I think there’s confusion somewhere in this debate/conversation. A lot of us are taking about whether JT17 was specifically a contractual obligation. I think perhaps u2 did have to play more shows to fulfil ticket sales or whatever terms there were however it didn’t have to be JT17. So the band still had the decision on what type of tour etc but what they didn’t have was a choice not to tour they had to play some sort of shows and make up the short fall. A stadium tour supporting there highest selling album which is just about to have its anniversary was the easiest solution but still the bands choice to some extent. Could that be correct or are people saying live nation specifically made them do a JT17 stadium tour?
  10. hopefully they will announce on Saturday
  11. Just speaking with Bono

Me : Heading for Hawaï later this year!

Bono : Hmmm did we inform Larry already ?