1. Good thing they have fixed those stadium echo issues over time.

2. My very first “proper” concert.

I remember seeing the stage for the first time, it was just massive and then later in the night, the noise of the crowd was just something else.

It’s special that it was released on DVD and has become a concert that the band regard as one of their great shows.

In the days when cigarette lighters lit stadiums I was even lucky enough to score a Zoo Ecu, which somehow I’ve managed to keep for 25 years!
  3. You guys give me chills
  4. 30 years!
  5. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    The show has it's moments such as NYD,Dirty Day ,Crashed car ,LIB but the sound was horrendous they spent so much money on the screens and lights but the most important component they failed to get right even though they had played the venue the previous night. The audio from the RDS in Dublin which was broadcast live on Radio wasn't much better a lot of echo and flat in places whoever was in charge of mixing the sound should have been sacked.There were some great recordings from that tour Zoo Radio was excellent quality as was the Zoo tv documentary which had several live songs on it.
    Very much agree.

The audio was actually great at the shows themselves, definitely the four shows I saw, but its the mixing on the official releases that bugs me.

The difference between Sydney and the Adelaide recording from a week or two earlier, in terms of audio at least, is night and day, Adelaide is a superb listen, likely as it doesn't have any mixing and is just a raw soundboard feed I believe, but still the audio mixing on that Sydney gig was super disappointing. I disliked the video effects they did with Zoo Station on that release too, all a bit unnecessary really.

The terrible audio on official releases continued on the Popmart tour with the Mexico release - way too much audience noise piped into the mix for an official release - probably the way they wanted it for a 'seat-of-the-pants' feel as if you were there yourself - but I think most people would rather listen to the band than incessant screamers, definitely not a choice listen for me from that tour. It also lacked crisp, clear and distinct instrumentation / vocals and solid bass.

Two recordings I very rarely go back and play these days, thankfully there are plenty of raw soundboard recordings / IEM's and many many superb quality audience microphone recordings from these two tours to enjoy over the disappointing official releases.
  6. I don’t mind the audio but the constant almost static sound of the crowd really grates. So many times I’ve went to play Streets and been deafened by the status. Very annoying.

I listen to Dublin way more. I prefer the setlist and Bono’s voice was miles better.
  7. I used to play the VHS every day after coming home from school. A real highlight in the band’s career and a great document of a great tour.

Personal highlights for me are the all time great segue from UTEOFTW in to NYD as well as RTSS in to Streets. Great version of Pride to follow up too. The Zooropa stuff was ok, Dirty day was one of the bands most underrated songs.

Seeing them at the sphere is probably as close to experiencing zoo tv as I’ll ever get. My own debut was on Popmart a few years after so never got to see this tour live but the gig was always a repeat favourite of mine.
  8. Originally posted by Caledonia:[..]
    Very much agree.

The difference between Sydney and the Adelaide recording from a week or two earlier, in terms of audio at least, is night and day, Adelaide is a superb listen, likely as it doesn't have any mixing and is just a raw soundboard feed I believe, but still the audio mixing on that Sydney gig was super disappointing. I disliked the video effects they did with Zoo Station on that release too, all a bit unnecessary really.

The old Sydney Stadium was an awful venue from an acoustic perspective. I was there that night and the sound was a horrible muddy mess as it bounced off the concrete walls only to be picked up by the mics. You can hesr the echoes whenever Bono speaks. Adelaide was a much more open venue.
  9. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]

The old Sydney Stadium was an awful venue from an acoustic perspective. I was there that night and the sound was a horrible muddy mess as it bounced off the concrete walls only to be picked up by the mics. You can hesr the echoes whenever Bono speaks. Adelaide was a much more open venue.
    For the DVD they did clean up the audio there is a couple of options in the menu Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo Audio, with a lot of U2 releases I always wonder how the gig would have been like had they added other songs with Sydney I thought Sunday Bloody Sunday, I will Follow ,Bad ,One Tree Hill would have been epic most of those songs were played on the Zoo TV tour but on this leg they were promoting 2 albums AB and Zooropa so a lot of the older classics got shelved .
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    For the DVD they did clean up the audio there is a couple of options in the menu Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo Audio, with a lot of U2 releases I always wonder how the gig would have been like had they added other songs with Sydney I thought Sunday Bloody Sunday, I will Follow ,Bad ,One Tree Hill would have been epic most of those songs were played on the Zoo TV tour but on this leg they were promoting 2 albums AB and Zooropa so a lot of the older classics got shelved .
    Audio from Sydney is a strange story in itself. The original broadcast was the worst ever, the VHS was mixed only a bit better. Next was the Radio-Show (I have the official 2 CD set including some advertising...) again a bit cleaned up but still on a low level. For the u2.com 2CD gift it was the same.
    For the DVD the stereo signal still sucks but DTS was a true improvement (and could be ripped as a usable stereo signal).
    And than weg got 2 streams by u2.com with more improvements in stages. Only the last stream some months ago is really okay.
  11. I still have the original on PPV on VHS.
  12. It was shown on Boxing Day 1993 in the UK,loved it then and still do,listened to it alot the last few months