1. Originally posted by tkfiyah:My first introduction to U2 was Atomic Bomb, it had been in my parent's heavy rotation during long road trips and at some point in 2005 it caught my ear. I convinced them to take me to a concert (2005-05-26 in Boston). After that, I was hooked and poured over their entire discography. I remember it was a period of years where I'd be going to every store's CD section looking for Achtung Baby to no avail. It wasn't until four years later I got to hear Get On Your Boots. I remember really liking it, still only being a teenager at the time. NLOTH itself was a challenging listen for me. I've since become a huge fan of it and see it kinda as "my U2 album", but at the time I was wondering why they sounded so sad and moody.
    Similar story for me - I had listened to JT already since my dad was a casual fan at that point, made a mix CD of some other stuff up through ATYCLB, and then got Atomic Bomb for Christmas 2004. So I guess my first "new" U2 song was Vertigo.

Unfortunately in my case it took me all through 2005 to really delve into their back catalog and have U2 rise in my own rankings of favorite bands, so by 2006 when I was an obsessed fan the Vertigo Tour had already left North America. Had to wait until 2009, eagerly anticipating NLOTH like you said (and finally saw them live in Chicago 2009).
  2. I was about ten years old when I found a copy of R&H in my folks record collection. Loved it, and to me it has the definitive ISHFWILF and Pride. Anyhoo Achtung Baby had recently been released but we were outside of decent FM radio range and didn't have MTV...so I missed AB and Zooropa. In late 96 we got a computer with dial up. I soon found the famous 15 second leak of Discotheque. A bit later it was my first new U2 song. It didn't disappoint..Pop is my fav U2 album to date
  3. Originally posted by cleazer:Night and Day.

Wow, I'm surprised nobody else has said that one yet. It was from that time between R&H and AB. Surely I'm not the only one who really got into them in 1989 or 1990?

(I had heard them before of course, but I didn't really make the connection that this one awesome band was making a whole ton of awesome songs. Somehow or the other, listening to New Years Day on the radio one time just made a lightbulb go off in my head.)
    Night And Day was the bridge between the two eras but I don't think it went out in the radio or anything, right? Wasn't it hard to find back in the day? I don't think many (most) fans heard anything new between the end of Lovetown and the release of The Fly.
  4. I got Into U2 after hearing Love Is Blindess on the radio (yeah you read that right!) chills down my spine

I soaked it all AB JT WAR UF RH (pirate tape with half the album ... imagine when I discovered full LP with God Part2!)

Shorty after ZooTV thanksgiving special ... amazing!

Then the first proper new song I heard was Numb... not the best one but what a surprise!

Discotheque was a shocker accidentally catching the video on Viva, (limited Net access) hit the record button and was watching half the night on repeat after a first shock I started to like it a lot

It’s a crying shame US audience didn’t get the full album as it it’s one of their best on par with JT and AB for me! Not playing safe just pushing the boundaries... how I miss that U2

What a songs what a lyrics!

Vertigo was also a bit of a shocker (didn’t recognize it is U2 first time on radio! )

GOYB was such a disappointing song u2 trying to do another Veritgo as with B.Day and GOOYOW (at least I started to like GOOYOW live more than it’s older clone)
  5. 2 days ago my first daughter has been born. Although she doesn’t recognise it her first song was Love is bigger!
  6. Gloria
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Night And Day was the bridge between the two eras but I don't think it went out in the radio or anything, right? Wasn't it hard to find back in the day? I don't think many (most) fans heard anything new between the end of Lovetown and the release of The Fly.
    Admittedly I had forgotten about Night & Day (probably since it's somewhat forgettable). It was a "new" track to me after JT (when I discovered U2) but I guess so was Desire, Angel of Harlem, etc.

I went with The Fly for my pick as I was REALLY anticipating new music by that point - and boy oh boy did I (we) get something special.
  8. After getting into them listening to War and Under a Blood Red Sky while on holiday, first "new" single was Pride
  9. I became a fan way back in 1981 so I guess my first new U2 single was A Celebration. The single I really remember being released though was New Year's Day. I remember seeing the video in snowy Sweden for the first time well
  10. Originally posted by redjim:After getting into them listening to War and Under a Blood Red Sky while on holiday, first "new" single was Pride
    Same here.
    Pride my first NEW single and The Unforgettable Fire my first NEW album
  11. I remember when Pride first came out they premiered it on the radio before you could buy the 45... I remember holding my little portable cassette recorder up to my dad's stereo speakers to record it off the radio...
  12. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    I remember when Pride first came out they premiered it on the radio before you could buy the 45... I remember holding my little portable cassette recorder up to my dad's stereo speakers to record it off the radio...
    Hahaha, that's pretty rudimentary, Greg!