1. First time posting.

I've struggled recently with the opening of E+I and using The Blackout; especially listening to the bootlegs. it certainly is not as strong as I+E with The Miracle imo. For me once the opening video had finished then The Blackout seemed to stop the flow and didn't really transition well into LOH...yet listening to the Europa EP where the speech leads into New Years Day it feels a better fit, the narrative on N\YD and Chaplin (Hitler) are more aligned and ultimately the new version of NYD is a stomping crowd pleaser.

(And I still do not get the purpose or linkage of the brainscans with the message from Charlie.)

Anyway for me...New Years Day would have been a stronger opener and offers better flow and continuation from Charlie Chaplin than The Blackout.

There, now off my chest!
  2. The brain scans are to do with Bono's near death experience.

There is a thread dedicated to the RSD releases, including the Europe EP, here.
  3. Originally posted by ilucas1:First time posting.

I've struggled recently with the opening of E+I and using The Blackout; especially listening to the bootlegs. it certainly is not as strong as I+E with The Miracle imo. For me once the opening video had finished then The Blackout seemed to stop the flow and didn't really transition well into LOH...yet listening to the Europa EP where the speech leads into New Years Day it feels a better fit, the narrative on N\YD and Chaplin (Hitler) are more aligned and ultimately the new version of NYD is a stomping crowd pleaser.

(And I still do not get the purpose or linkage of the brainscans with the message from Charlie.)

Anyway for me...New Years Day would have been a stronger opener and offers better flow and continuation from Charlie Chaplin than The Blackout.

There, now off my chest!
    Opening a 2018 tour with a song from 1983 doesn't seem quite right.

I think there has been a certain consensus in regards to The Blackout being quite a powerful opener (even by those who disliked the song in studio, like I did). Not sure how well that translates to bootlegs as I haven't listened to none but being there it was a truly good opener - while The Miracle was much more U2-by-the-numbers with the Bono entrance, the cheesy "ooh ooh" chants, etc. You can compare videos recorded from the seats from both songs - you'll see the whole GA area jumping with The Blackout but you won't see much -if any- of that from 2015.

So, all this disagreement off my chest