Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by HBK79:I'm curious about something, guys.

U2 will be doing two shows in indoor venues with relatively limited floor space. One will be in South Korea, and the other will be in the Philippines.

Based on the seating maps, the GA section for both shows appear somewhat compact.

Where will the band's crew set up the speaker towers and soundboard?
    Plus Japan, it's in Saitama Super Arena.

Wonder if they could hang speakers from the roof in these venues, like they do for normal arena shows. Would be nice to keep the sightlines clear for fans. I'd presume Saitama's roof is load rated for this. Maybe not Seoul's Gocheok Sky Dome though, as it's a baseball venue.
  2. One of my gripes with stadium shows is that the weather is a volatile variable and I wonder if that deters people. Touring Australia in November means there is a chance of an early and hot summer day. I remember being baked in the sun queuing for the 3rd night of Vertigo and then drenched by a late afternoon storm, with lightening. At least with an arena show that's not a risk. I'm still of the view an indoor SOI/SOE tour would have worked better. Having seen JT30 and e+I, I think the latter is a better spectacle.
  3. Further putting the boot into their popularity among the causal music fan is highlighted by "TOOL" trending for around 10 hours at one two or three - alternate interveals - .......I mean, REALLY , TOOL?! U2 haven't been on a trend for at least the last 5 solid years i can recall , with TWO albums and three ( one locally of course ) large tours in that time !!!
  4. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:One of my gripes with stadium shows is that the weather is a volatile variable and I wonder if that deters people. Touring Australia in November means there is a chance of an early and hot summer day. I remember being baked in the sun queuing for the 3rd night of Vertigo and then drenched by a late afternoon storm, with lightening. At least with an arena show that's not a risk. I'm still of the view an indoor SOI/SOE tour would have worked better. Having seen JT30 and e+I, I think the latter is a better spectacle.
    Some of the BEST concerts i have either attended or viewed have always been when it has rained !!! Like POPMART SYDNEY , the house lights off total darkness ONE played as the last song and dedicated to Micheal Hutchence while lightning buzzed over head and rain tumbling down , it was mindblowing!!! Everyone in thats stadium had their faces up at the pitch black sky eyes closed!
  5. There is also the added bonus that U2 will play the Beatles, 'Rain'. Absolutely one miryclay's favourites.
  6. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:One of my gripes with stadium shows is that the weather is a volatile variable and I wonder if that deters people. Touring Australia in November means there is a chance of an early and hot summer day. I remember being baked in the sun queuing for the 3rd night of Vertigo and then drenched by a late afternoon storm, with lightening. At least with an arena show that's not a risk. I'm still of the view an indoor SOI/SOE tour would have worked better. Having seen JT30 and e+I, I think the latter is a better spectacle.
    I don't think many indoor venues in Australia suit? with regards to both size and capacity? I know in Melbourne Rod Laver Arena would be the choice of indoor venue and any large scale stage would struggle to fit in there... also with a capacity of 15k they would have to do 5-6 shows to meet the demand which I would highly doubt they would do.
  7. I figure if they can commit to doing 30 nights across North America or Europe over a couple months, what's to stop them doing that in Australia. Less cities, means being able to spend a week or two in the one place, not packing up and moving on every 3rd day. I've been harping on about this for a while but I reckon if Pink can do it, so can U2; it would be LoveTown all over again.
  8. Why bother doing that when they can play less shows, charge more for the ticket and still come out ahead?
  9. I think Gunter's point is relevant here...Auckland 2 looks like it will potentially get ok numbers closer to the gig. They have opened a couple more sections up with 70 tix and they are selling ok. Need to lower the price of the other sections though. Auckland is a small city really and people will need to come from other areas which is expensive. Not sure why they dont fancy a concert at Westpac stadium Wellington. A reckon a concert in Wellington would sell out easily alongside an Auckland show.
  10. Originally posted by tommybanny:Auckland is a small city really and people will need to come from other areas which is expensive. Not sure why they dont fancy a concert at Westpac stadium Wellington. A reckon a concert in Wellington would sell out easily alongside an Auckland show.
    Too expensive to tear down, transport & setup the stage, for a city of 400,000 people. Much more economical to leave the stage where it is, at a city of 1.5 million people. Pity Mt Smart is such a shitty venue.
  11. I know! shame...seeing that the cake tin (Westpac) is right in the middle of Welly.
  12. Originally posted by DanialGowans:[..]
    Some of the BEST concerts i have either attended or viewed have always been when it has rained !!! Like POPMART SYDNEY , the house lights off total darkness ONE played as the last song and dedicated to Micheal Hutchence while lightning buzzed over head and rain tumbling down , it was mindblowing!!! Everyone in thats stadium had their faces up at the pitch black sky eyes closed!
    Yeah, that concert was ridiculously good! Lights off for the thunder & lightning. One of my concert highlights too.

Vertigo Sydney 1 was fun in the rain. Just think it needs to be a warm day. Helps of you're down in GA with all that body heat too.