Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. I was at the Indianapolis show, and yeah there were a few small pockets of empty seats in the upper corners. But after a few songs people up there had spread out and it was barely noticeable. It’s a huge stadium, and they still had 51,000+ people in there.

All you need to do is watch a video of them playing Bad or Streets on YouTube, and that gives you an idea of how full each stadium is.
  2. LOL I cannot believe we are dissing the number of this tour (if thats what is going on). At this stage of their careers the numbers U2 pull are incredible and many bands in their prime cannot get them. I cannot stress enough how difficult it is for any band to sell out a stadium in NZ as the first show on Friday is.
  3. Good point, Tommy. Honestly, I think what we'll be seeing is that every show will be sold out, or close enough to appear that way, except Auckland #2. We don't really have a way to gauge how well Manila is selling, so that one is anyone's guess. It's unfortunate that Auckland 2 is selling so poorly, and that they didn't think demand was good enough for a 2nd Melbourne show. But I guess that's still better than what a lot of acts can do down there.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; U2 are still one of the biggest touring acts in the world... they're just no longer the biggest. And we're not used to that. To put it into perspective, I've looked into other big artists numbers at this same stadium recently. Going off U2's 2006 numbers (we know those were both sold out end stage shows, so the capacity would be roughly the same), this stadium holds 42,000 for a concert. Here's what other acts did;

Coldplay 2016- 39,000
    Coldplay 2012- 37,000
    Taylor Swift- 35,000
    Paul McCartney- 35,000
    Bruce Springsteen- 33,000
    Justin Bieber- 35,000
    U2 2006- 84,000
    U2 2010- 93,000

My point of this is that these acts aren't even selling out 1 show, let alone attempting a 2nd show. Metallica are doing 2 shows at the same stadium a week before, and I've heard their 2nd show is selling poorly too. I wouldn't be surprised if some casual U2 fans already had Metallica tickets, and just decided they didn't want to do both. Then of course, Ed Sheeran sold out 3 shows there! They need to do some serious price slashing in Auckland #2... might as well try to fill it up as much as possible, right?
  4. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the numbers u2 achieved in 2017 in general. I think it is a little embarrassing though claiming a sold out tour then having a few shows where the stadium had lots of empty seats. I also think even in shows that sold well they were probably a good few that weren’t complete sell outs but that isn’t quite as big a deal although in principle it’s the same thing claiming a sell out when it isn’t. I’m not blaming the band for that and I’m not even blaming the management really as everyone probably does it in the music industry but I do think it’s just a little false and misleading to call it a sold out tour. This year I think again the sales are more than respectable when compared to other artists who have played the same places, in fact better than respectable really although I think around half of the shows will be comfortably short of a sell out, whether it appears that way or not depends on how they configure things but if there’s any more than 2000 spare tickets for a show i’d consider that comfortably short of a sell out and I think that will be the case probably much worse in a few cases, again no embarrassment there as long as they don’t try and claim it was a sell out.
  5. They are still a massive pull in the touring game and the Auckland shows prove it in my eyes. Taylor Swift- Biggest start in the world (TM) struggled to sell out her first and only show. I suppose there is some question whether U2 needed a 2nd show here but its probably half full at this stage.
  6. Hi guys,
    Is there any more info on the Mumbai shows?
  7. Originally posted by tommybanny:They are still a massive pull in the touring game and the Auckland shows prove it in my eyes. Taylor Swift- Biggest start in the world (TM) struggled to sell out her first and only show. I suppose there is some question whether U2 needed a 2nd show here but its probably half full at this stage.
    If they get 75,000 across two shows in Auckland that equates to 5% of the cities population, thats the equivalent to U2 playing to 600,000 people in London, or 250,000 in Melbourne - so NZ still loves them

8. The last update about Mumbai on u2songs.com was 2 weeks ago, when they said they were still working on it as a possibility.

As we recall from the months-long wait at the start of this year before the JT2019 tour was announced, it can take a whole lot longer than 2 weeks for these things to get officially sorted.

So don't assume the silence means it's dead. Of course, don't assume it's 100% definitely going to happen either.
  9. Has anyone noticed that this is the 5th consecutive year that U2 will be going on tour, this hasn't happened since 1980-1985,

it's almost as if after the 5 years in between NLOTH and SOI it hit them that they are getting old and can't afford to have such a large break between album releases in order to keep the momentum going
  10. Has anyone noticed that this is the 5th consecutive year that U2 will be going on tour, this hasn't happened since 1980-1985,

it's almost as if after the 5 years in between NLOTH and SOI it hit them that they are getting old and can't afford to have such a large break between album releases, they have a desire to keep the momentum going.
  11. Originally posted by iver54:Has anyone noticed that this is the 5th consecutive year that U2 will be going on tour, this hasn't happened since 1980-1985,

it's almost as if after the 5 years in between NLOTH and SOI it hit them that they are getting old and can't afford to have such a large break between album releases in order to keep the momentum going
    They didn’t tour in 2016. So it will only be the 3rd consecutive year.
  12. huh.. I thought the 2015 tour got delayed because of Bono's bike accident and so some of the tour got pushed into the first half of 2016?