Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. seems=since of course...
  2. Originally posted by celtic:A slight off topic but seems you mentioned 1998... regarding the attendance figures, u2 actually had a different problem with some of the local promoters in the 90's. I remember that on the italian dates of the ZooTv tour, good old Paul McG wass really pissed of when he discovered that the local promoters actually sold quite a few thousand extra tickets for each stadium show that were not reported in the official att. figures. U2 staff discovered that with doublechecking the physical ticket stubs at the gates and recounting them In those days in Europe GAs were really filled up to the maximum...
    Haha yeah, the crazy days.

Official attendance for the first gig in Spain was somewhere around 90,000 but the promoter sold and gave away something like 15K extra tickets and the stadium was absolutely filled up with over 105,000 people in the end. It could have been a total disaster but it ended up being a complete landmark both for the country and for the band, which still remember and regard highly that show after +32 years.
  3. Those Australia shows sound amazing from what I heard, great snippets I need to go back and listen to, any show so far that is far and away the best gig?
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    You are very right, I made a mistake with this sentence:

[..]
    It was a mistake and I'm not saying (I never would) that they inflate the actual ATTENDANCE FIGURES, there's no legal way of doing that because it's a figure that is provided on the spot to the local authorities.
    Well.. this: " it's a figure that is provided on the spot to the local authorities"

is actually not true as far as I've read today. Attendance is the # of tickets sold, not the count of people that go through the turnstiles. You might want to google for Beyonce/Rihanna at Wembley. Sold-out but half empty, simply because of too many scalper-bought tickets that were never re-sold.
  5. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Well.. this: " it's a figure that is provided on the spot to the local authorities"

is actually not true as far as I've read today. Attendance is the # of tickets sold, not the count of people that go through the turnstiles. You might want to google for Beyonce/Rihanna at Wembley. Sold-out but half empty, simply because of too many scalper-bought tickets that were never re-sold.
    That system (reporting attendance) was changed some 15-20 years ago. So if you let or facilitate scalpers buying 50% of your tickets, you're sold out but doesn't guarantee a full-looking stadium..
  6. Originally posted by guykirk9:Those Australia shows sound amazing from what I heard, great snippets I need to go back and listen to, any show so far that is far and away the best gig?
    Sydney 1/2 or Perth!
  7. Sydney 2 just topped the others for me. Also had the best vocals from Bono of the shows I went to
  8. Originally posted by guykirk9:Those Australia shows sound amazing from what I heard, great snippets I need to go back and listen to, any show so far that is far and away the best gig?
    I would have said Sydney 1
  9. Same here, Sydney 1 over Sydney 2 but Melbourne would be 2nd. That said, we're splitting hairs here.
  10. Looks like the band is having a lot of fun this tour!