Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by MattG:I've got a feeling this tour is gonna be "the same" as the US rendition, with maybe a few big songs subbed for other big songs.

Won't be surprised to see Love Rescue Me, perhaps in the place of Sarajevo, but otherwise I think we're looking at standards.

AIWIY fits the tour, is a proven segue into Streets, and gives them the opportunity to "shake it up"

Pride is also a fantastic opener.
    I don’t know if you were just thinking about regular pride but E&I style pride could work in a similar way to how they opened in 2017 with SBS, the band members walking out one by one, I’m actually quite into the idea of that version opening these shows. (No megaphone it should go without saying).
  2. Not sure if anyone is interested in the Cure but they just played vivid in Sydney. They are currently performing the 30th anniversary tour of Disintegration and unlike u2 stuck to the era which they were celebrating by playing only the b-sides, the album proper and a few songs from around that time for the encore. I wish u2 would celebrate the Joshua tree the same way.
    Instead of two songs from war and unforgettable fire, I’d love to see u2 stick to the Joshua tree sessions and the tour sessions during 1987 and 1988. Encore only from rattle and hum.
    I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this earlier but my preferred set list for the 2019 Joshua tree tour would something like this:
    Opening set (Whetting the appetite for the album proper) - something like:
    1) beautiful ghost
    2) Spanish eyes
    3) sweetest thing
    4) wave of sorrow
    5) Walk to the water
    6) silver and gold
    JT album
    Encore: (songs from rattle and hum which would be having its 30th anniversary)
    1) hawkmoon
    2) heartland (please, but i don’t know if bono has the vocal range anymore)
    3) desire
    4) all I want is you
    (Any songs from rattle and hum would be fine but the big brassy numbers like angel of Harlem and wLCTT don’t really fit the sensibility)
    Anyway, I think they need to be true to the era if it’s a true anniversary. Playing songs from outside of the late 80s doesn’t work for me when they are celebrating such a special time in their history.
  3. Originally posted by neoninfusion:Not sure if anyone is interested in the Cure but they just played vivid in Sydney. They are currently performing the 30th anniversary tour of Disintegration and unlike u2 stuck to the era which they were celebrating by playing only the b-sides, the album proper and a few songs from around that time for the encore. I wish u2 would celebrate the Joshua tree the same way.
    Instead of two songs from war and unforgettable fire, I’d love to see u2 stick to the Joshua tree sessions and the tour sessions during 1987 and 1988. Encore only from rattle and hum.
    I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this earlier but my preferred set list for the 2019 Joshua tree tour would something like this:
    Opening set (Whetting the appetite for the album proper) - something like:
    1) beautiful ghost
    2) Spanish eyes
    3) sweetest thing
    4) wave of sorrow
    5) Walk to the water
    6) silver and gold
    JT album
    Encore: (songs from rattle and hum which would be having its 30th anniversary)
    1) hawkmoon
    2) heartland (please, but i don’t know if bono has the vocal range anymore)
    3) desire
    4) all I want is you
    (Any songs from rattle and hum would be fine but the big brassy numbers like angel of Harlem and wLCTT don’t really fit the sensibility)
    Anyway, I think they need to be true to the era if it’s a true anniversary. Playing songs from outside of the late 80s doesn’t work for me when they are celebrating such a special time in their history.
    I like the idea .... AoH and WLCTT could just be performed in their "usual" acoustic form. I think there might be a few too many deep cuts to start the show. They could still use Pride and Bad (and ASOH and TUF) to get people going. It is that album's 35th anniversary, so why not!?
  4. Pride
    ASOH
    TUF
    Bad...
    ...The Joshua Tree...
    ....Hawkmoon
    Heartland/Sweetest Thing
    Angel...
    WLCTT
    Desire
    AIWIY
  5. I like your idea neoninfusion for a low key smaller tour (shows in an Ampitheatre, theatre or concert hall) but I'm not sure it would work for a stadium tour.

Imagine U2 walking out to 60,000 fans only to start with beautiful ghosts followed by Spanish eyes. I just don't think it would work well at all, the crowd wouldn't be hyped up at all. It especially wouldn't in Australia, a region they haven't been in for 9 years.

JT tour is a celebration of the album not necessarily the whole JT era/recording session and therefore the album is enough for any given stadium show. There is enough less well known songs on JT for casual fans to enjoy the show without feeling disconnected from the show.

6. Well that just might be TOO perfect!
  7. After this tour we will finally see a "normal" U2 Tour. No narrative, no full albums, changes in setlists, etc.

I think that would be great after all.
  8. In my ideal world they should keep the main set the same as 2017, but open with out of control into Gloria into Sunday bloody Sunday. Blow the roof off.

Out of control and Gloria haven't been played in Australia in 30 years

Something like:

Out of control
    Gloria
    Sunday bloody Sunday
    New year's day
    Bad
    MLK
    Pride
    Streets
    I still haven't found what I'm looking for
    With or without you
    Bullet
    Running to stand still
    Red Hill
    In god's country
    Trip
    One tree hill
    Exit
    Mothers

Hawkmoon
    Desire / Angel rotating
    Elevation
    Beautiful day
    Vertigo
    One
    I will follow / 40 / all I want is you
  9. Originally posted by dylbagz:In my ideal world they should keep the main set the same as 2017, but open with out of control into Gloria into Sunday bloody Sunday. Blow the roof off.

Out of control and Gloria haven't been played in Australia in 30 years

Something like:

Out of control
    Gloria
    Sunday bloody Sunday
    New year's day
    Bad
    MLK
    Pride
    Streets
    I still haven't found what I'm looking for
    With or without you
    Bullet
    Running to stand still
    Red Hill
    In god's country
    Trip
    One tree hill
    Exit
    Mothers

Hawkmoon
    Desire / Angel rotating
    Elevation
    Beautiful day
    Vertigo
    One
    I will follow / 40 / all I want is you
    If they play this in Japan... I’ll die happy. (...despite the predictable four in the encore)
  10. My imaginary setlist in Seoul:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Raised by Wolves
    New Year's Day
    MLK
    Pride

- The Joshua Tree Full Album -

Beautiful Day / City of Blinding Lights / or both (COBL dedicated to Seoul)
    Vertigo / Elevation
    the Best Thing
    One
    Ordinary Love
    The Little Things

It will be wonderful to see U2 perform the songs that were censored 32 years ago in Korea - Bullet, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill, In God's Country.
    U2 definitely wouldn't want to miss One in Korea. Probably SBS and possibly Raised by Wolves. In my head they also want to play Ordinary Love.