Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. I felt they were under rehearsed, saved mostly by minimal setlist variation. They rehearsed quite a bit more in 2015.
  2. It was still a lot of fun eavesdropping into those rehearsals.
  3. Niceee Any other notable things from those rehearsals? Especially going into this years tour.
  4. I remember Adam talking to somebody in 2015, possibly an interviewer, about how he hadn't really enjoyed touring and music for a long while now, but now he was in a much better space and enjoying things.

Fits in with some of what Bono has said in the past, and Adam has dropped hints about general depression.

Regarding 2017, most of it is in the rehearsals. They were pretty locked in on a setlist from the start, and never even rehearsed Bad until Seattle. My friend and I identified Miss Syria as a lead weight early in the rehearsals, but they seemed to be in love with the production of it. They spent a lot of the early shows trying to shuffle the order to make it work, but finally just dropped it in the 3rd leg.

I really think they wanted to make ASOH work as a cool centerpiece, but just never got the traction they wanted. ASOH got a lot of rehearsal time. Bad hit the same beat much more effectively, as much as I loved hearing ASOH. They did Bad in a single take in Seattle, maybe 1.5 takes, and I don't think they ever rehearsed it again on the tour. Just one of those songs they can dust off with a single run through.
  5. That would be a very cool listen. Kinda like the Pop Mart rehearsals in Vegas except with way better sound.
  6. So the encore in 2017 was originally going to be BD, UV, One, miss Sarajevo and little Things? Oof! As much as I think elevation and vertigo are overplayed, they definitely were needed to beef up that encore. Why do they always insist on ending with slow songs?
  7. Right. It was that for a bunch of the early shows.
  8. The first JT show I saw was Cleveland, the final show of the 1st leg. While I was disappointed that we didn’t get Little Things, I’m definitely glad they figured out that encore by then.
  9. Originally posted by hoserama:I remember Adam talking to somebody in 2015, possibly an interviewer, about how he hadn't really enjoyed touring and music for a long while now, but now he was in a much better space and enjoying things.

Fits in with some of what Bono has said in the past, and Adam has dropped hints about general depression.

Regarding 2017, most of it is in the rehearsals. They were pretty locked in on a setlist from the start, and never even rehearsed Bad until Seattle. My friend and I identified Miss Syria as a lead weight early in the rehearsals, but they seemed to be in love with the production of it. They spent a lot of the early shows trying to shuffle the order to make it work, but finally just dropped it in the 3rd leg.

I really think they wanted to make ASOH work as a cool centerpiece, but just never got the traction they wanted. ASOH got a lot of rehearsal time. Bad hit the same beat much more effectively, as much as I loved hearing ASOH. They did Bad in a single take in Seattle, maybe 1.5 takes, and I don't think they ever rehearsed it again on the tour. Just one of those songs they can dust off with a single run through.
    Thanks! Very insightful
  10. I wonder how many ideas the band come up with in the studio rehearsals. I’m guessing by the time they get to these more full on rehearsals at proper venues they’ve done a lot of the decision making already and it’s just a case of tweaking things as explained by hoserama about the Setlist being locked in. I imagine in the studio though they go through a lot more Songs and ideas. Might be different this year as I’m sure most of it will be the same as 2017 but just in general it would be amazing to sit in the studio and see the band figuring out what they want to do with the shows.
  11. Ending the shows with Ms Sarajevo > Little Things

Glad that only lasted a few shows...
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:I wonder how many ideas the band come up with in the studio rehearsals. I’m guessing by the time they get to these more full on rehearsals at proper venues they’ve done a lot of the decision making already and it’s just a case of tweaking things as explained by hoserama about the Setlist being locked in. I imagine in the studio though they go through a lot more Songs and ideas. Might be different this year as I’m sure most of it will be the same as 2017 but just in general it would be amazing to sit in the studio and see the band figuring out what they want to do with the shows.
    It depends. They went through some...interesting...setlist permutations from 2015. 2017 was more locked in from the start. Which was unfortunate for the ending of the show.