Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. I have fond memories of seeing the mass exodus of folks in Seattle during Miss Syria & Little Things. Massive movement on the floor of folks heading to the exit. I'm sure U2 saw it too--caused the impromptu closer of I Will Follow just to get some energy into the show.
  2. Originally posted by hoserama:I have fond memories of seeing the mass exodus of folks in Seattle during Miss Syria & Little Things. Massive movement on the floor of folks heading to the exit. I'm sure U2 saw it too--caused the impromptu closer of I Will Follow just to get some energy into the show.
    Yup. How could they not notice it? Always remember the bemused looks in Dublin after Little Things as everybody looked around at each other asking ‘is that it?’
  3. I have to admit people walking out of the shows just makes me wish the band had played it as closer every night of the tour. Why did they leave early?because it wasn’t the final song they wanted to hear? it’s rude towards the band and other fans who are still enjoying the show and it just shows you there mentality, it’s like a spoilt child, that’s not the one I wanted so I’m just away in a huff. People that left early deserved to get a final song they didn’t enjoy.
  4. I think they should at least play one SOE song consistently on the tour.
  5. LIBTAIIW will be a guarantee. Hopefully MS doesnt return...
  6. I would’ve loved to have seen Little Things end a JT show. Instead I got “One” both times. I have seen them play One at all 14 U2 shows I have attended, and Little Things zero times.... and I’ll likely never see it at any future shows. Bummer.

As far as leaving early, many people want to beat traffic. My wife is big on doing this at concerts, especially if it’s a work night. She tried to get me to leave before the final song (MOS) at one of the 360 shows, and I made certain she knew that was not gonna happen. So if the last song is some slow burning new song that the casual fans have never heard, of course they’re gonna rush for the exits. U2 have been in the business log enough, they should’ve known that was going to happen.

What’s unfortunate is that U2 saw that kind of muted reaction to Little Things, and eventually quit playing it, and evidently they seem to have lost all their faith in the song in general. It’s one of the best from soe, and I was looking forward to hearing it on the SOE tour. Not to be...
  7. I still think they'll play a couple from SOI/SOE.
  8. Originally posted by podiumboy:I would’ve loved to have seen Little Things end a JT show. Instead I got “One” both times. I have seen them play One at all 14 U2 shows I have attended, and Little Things zero times.... and I’ll likely never see it at any future shows. Bummer.

As far as leaving early, many people want to beat traffic. My wife is big on doing this at concerts, especially if it’s a work night. She tried to get me to leave before the final song (MOS) at one of the 360 shows, and I made certain she knew that was not gonna happen. So if the last song is some slow burning new song that the casual fans have never heard, of course they’re gonna rush for the exits. U2 have been in the business log enough, they should’ve known that was going to happen.

What’s unfortunate is that U2 saw that kind of muted reaction to Little Things, and eventually quit playing it, and evidently they seem to have lost all their faith in the song in general. It’s one of the best from soe, and I was looking forward to hearing it on the SOE tour. Not to be...
    I think the band didn’t lose faith in the song completely but maybe lost a bit of faith in it slightly as a live tune or just weren’t convinced they were doing it justice live (I personally prefer the live version over the album version). A bit like original of the species, Bono introduced that a few times as the best song on the album but it wasn’t played that often compared to others on the album as they hadn’t quite figured out how to play it live.
  9. I think the issue with the closing song on JT17 was that they really wanted to stick with the POST Joshua Tree songs after MOTD and it limited their choice.

Now if we looks back at some of the best show closers you will find most are PRE Joshua Tree:
    I Will Follow
    Out of Control
    Bad

And then if we look at the closers that have ended POST Joshua Tree tours and a lot of them wouldn't work now or are songs that the band probably wouldn't return to:
    Love Is Blindness
    Walk On
    Vertigo
    Moment of Surrender
    13 (There Is A Light)

This leaves the obvious choice of One being a POST Joshua Tree closer. But I think we can all agree we're over it. The song needs a well earned break.

If it was my decision I would say screw the whole POST Joshua Tree rhetoric after MOTD and close with 40 every night. The one true U2 show closer!
  10. Love is bigger would be perfect, still post JT, a good way for the band to carry newish material into the shows and I think it worked great live, the crowd seemed to be into it which is a massive thing for any new material the band release. It’s one of they songs that even if people aren’t that familiar with it they can still get into it at the gig because it’s a catchy upbeat sounding number.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:Love is bigger would be perfect, still post JT, a good way for the band to carry newish material into the shows and I think it worked great live, the crowd seemed to be into it which is a massive thing for any new material the band release. It’s one of they songs that even if people aren’t that familiar with it they can still get into it at the gig because it’s a catchy upbeat sounding number.
    No way that song is dreadful IMO they should have given it to Coldplay, 40 should be the closing song every night on this nostalgia JT tour it was such a major song on the original tour in 87 and gets the whole crowd singing.
  12. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    No way that song is dreadful IMO they should have given it to Coldplay, 40 should be the closing song every night on this nostalgia JT tour it was such a major song on the original tour in 87 and gets the whole crowd singing.
    Fair enough if you don’t like it but it would still be a great closer in general, it’s proved itself to be a success live. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to hear 40 as well. Love is bigger followed by 40 would be a great closing duo but that’s just wishful thinking on my part.