Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. I’m gonna break away here and it’s prob never gonna happen. But just been listening again to WILATW. Oh my goodness gracious me I’d love to hear that solo fill an outdoor venue!!! Whoo!
  2. So what game are we playing? Guessing a likely setlist, or dreaming up fun setlists that will never happen? What's likely to happen I suppose is a regurgitation of the Joshua Tree tour, with a changed encore of i+e/e+i songs. But that's no fun!

Here's my first take, which will NEVER, EVER happen

Idea 1. A brief description. Oceania/Asia has missed tours of the last 3 albums. How do we condense this material into one night? We don't! We do it over two seperate nights. We finally get out Innocence & Experience nights.

As U2 hasn't visited these shores for a long time, they bless us with long shows, at least 25 songs.

Innocence + The Joshua Tree
    1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    2. New Year's Day
    3. A Sort Of Homecoming
    4. Where the Streets Have No Name
    5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    6. With or Without You
    7. Bullet the Blue Sky
    8. Running To Stand Still
    9. Red Hill Mining Town
    10. In God's Country
    11. Trip Through Your Wires
    12. One Tree Hill
    13. Exit
    14. Mothers Of The Disappeared

*** Intermission (Van Diemen's Land) ***

15. God Part II
    16. Desire
    17. Staring at the Sun
    18. Every Breaking Wave
    19. One
    20. Cedarwood Road
    21. Raised By Wolves
    22. Until the End of the World

****** Encore ******

23. All I Want Is You
    24. Bad
    25. The Little Things That Give You Away

The Joshua Tree + Experience
    1. Where the Streets Have No Name
    2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    3. With or Without You
    4. Bullet the Blue Sky
    5. Running to Stand Still
    6. Red Hill Mining Town
    7. In God's Country
    8. Trip Through Your Wires
    9. One Tree Hill
    10. Exit
    11. Mothers of the Disappeared

*** Intermission (Love Is All We Have Left) ***

12. The Blackout
    13. Lights Of Home
    14. Zoo Station
    15. The Fly
    16. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
    17. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    18. Summer Of Love
    19. Acrobat
    20. Starting At The Sun
    21. Red Flag Day
    22. Vertigo

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day
    24. Gone*
    25. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way

Just about all of these songs have been played over the last few years. So the band & techs should be across them. The video production is done. Of course they'd need to be changes in the production, for all of the arena songs. But it's a good start, & means maybe there's a chance of more variation between nights. Lots of variation (other than the JT)!

On the JT30 tour, one reason that the show started with the 'old school' opening (with no video production), was the sunset times of the shows. In the northern latitudes sunset times would have been around 9pm. So a few songs had to have been played before we got to appreciate the spectacular "Streets". This year, at all shows, sunset times will be before 8pm. This gives the band the option to open the show with the Joshua Tree, if they so wish. Without compromising the screen visuals.

Pride takes a well earned rest. As does Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, Even Better Than The Real Thing & Ultraviolet (Light My Way).

* Gone must be played at Sydney 1. The 22nd anniversary of the death of Michael Hutchence.

Problems. Not all cities get two shows. People will complain they missed out on their preferred night (Is prefer the Experience night I think). B-stage wouldn't get any real action until the second set on the Experience night. Yeah, they've played nearly all of these songs quite recently, but Bono still can't remember this many songs It's all too complicated, for so few shows. But it's an interesting idea (that won't happen)
  3. Originally posted by ddarroch:So what game are we playing? Guessing a likely setlist, or dreaming up fun setlists that will never happen? What's likely to happen I suppose is a regurgitation of the Joshua Tree tour, with a changed encore of i+e/e+i songs. But that's no fun!

Idea 1. A brief description. Oceania/Asia has missed tours of the last 3 albums. How do we condense this material into one night? We don't! We do it over two seperate nights. We finally get out Innocence & Experience nights.

As U2 hasn't visited these shores for a long time, they bless us with long shows, at least 25 songs.

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    2. New Year's Day
    3. A Sort Of Homecoming
    6. With or Without You
    7. Bullet the Blue Sky
    9. Red Hill Mining Town
    10. In God's Country
    12. One Tree Hill
    13. Exit

15. God Part II
    16. Desire
    17. Staring at the Sun
    18. Every Breaking Wave
    19. One
    20. Cedarwood Road
    21. Raised By Wolves

****** Encore ******

23. All I Want Is You
    24. Bad

3. With or Without You
    4. Bullet the Blue Sky
    6. Red Hill Mining Town
    7. In God's Country
    9. One Tree Hill
    10. Exit

12. The Blackout
    13. Lights Of Home
    14. Zoo Station
    15. The Fly
    18. Summer Of Love
    19. Acrobat
    20. Starting At The Sun
    21. Red Flag Day
    22. Vertigo

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day
    24. Gone

Just about all of these songs have been played over the last few years. So the band & techs should be across them. The video production is done. Of course they'd need to be changes in the production, for all of the arena songs. But it's a good start, & means maybe there's a chance of more variation between nights. Lots of variation (other than the JT)!

On the JT30 tour, one reason that the show started with the 'old school' opening (with no video production), was the sunset times of the shows. In the northern latitudes sunset times would have been around 9pm. So a few songs had to have been played before we got to appreciate the spectacular "Streets". This year, at all shows, sunset times will be before 8pm. This gives the band the option to open the show with the Joshua Tree, if they so wish. Without compromising the screen visuals.

Pride takes a well earned rest. As does Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, Even Better Than The Real Thing & Ultraviolet (Light My Way).

Problems. Not all cities get two shows. People will complain they missed out on their preferred night (Is prefer the Experience night I think). B-stage wouldn't get any real action until the second set on the Experience night. Yeah, they've played nearly all of these songs quite recently, but Bono still can't remember this many songs It's all too complicated, for so few shows. But it's an interesting idea (that won't happen)
    To be honest if they are going to make this tour similar to JT30 I suspect all the pre-JT songs will be played in the first act and all of the post-JT songs in the third act. I actually think Pride will be played since they haven't been to Australia since 360 and it is a massive song that will be well received by the crowd.

As much as I'd love to see Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road I wouldn't bet on it because I'm not sure how well either of those songs would work in a stadium full of fans who aren't massive SoI fans. A lot of SoI (and SoE to an extent) seemed to be created with the narrative that they used during the I+E/E+I tours in mind. I feel like it would be harder for the audience to connect to some of the SoI/SoE songs if they don't play a whole bunch of them to tell the complete SoI/SoE story. And they won't be doing that since this is a JT tour.

The songs that I think could make it from SoE are all of the 'bigger' songs - Best Thing, Little Things, Blackout, Love is Bigger. SoI is a little harder to pick because I don't think it has those 'bigger' songs that would work well in a stadium (beyond Miracle but I doubt they will play it). They could play an acoustic/scaled back version of songs such as Every Breaking Wave, Song for Someone or Iris.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 3 songs from SoI/SoE played every night because I suspect this will basically become a JT/greatest hits tour since they haven't been to the region since 360, so fans won't be sick of hearing those songs live.
  4. Originally posted by ddarroch:So what game are we playing? Guessing a likely setlist, or dreaming up fun setlists that will never happen? What's likely to happen I suppose is a regurgitation of the Joshua Tree tour, with a changed encore of i+e/e+i songs. But that's no fun!

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    2. New Year's Day
    3. A Sort Of Homecoming
    6. With or Without You
    7. Bullet the Blue Sky
    9. Red Hill Mining Town
    10. In God's Country
    12. One Tree Hill
    13. Exit

15. God Part II
    16. Desire
    17. Staring at the Sun
    18. Every Breaking Wave
    19. One
    20. Cedarwood Road
    21. Raised By Wolves

****** Encore ******

23. All I Want Is You
    24. Bad

3. With or Without You
    4. Bullet the Blue Sky
    6. Red Hill Mining Town
    7. In God's Country
    9. One Tree Hill
    10. Exit

12. The Blackout
    13. Lights Of Home
    14. Zoo Station
    15. The Fly
    18. Summer Of Love
    19. Acrobat
    20. Starting At The Sun
    21. Red Flag Day
    22. Vertigo

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day
    24. Gone

Also I can't see God Part II being played at all. There are so many other deep cuts that the audience would like more than God Part II.
  5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    New Years Day
    Bad
    Pride
    Streets
    Still haven’t found
    With Or Without You
    Bullet
    Running to Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    In Gods Country
    Trip Through Your Wires
    One Tree Hill
    Exit
    Mothers
    —-
    Beautiful Day
    Wild Horses
    Elevation
    Vertigo
    Love Is Bigger
    One
  6. This would be so good:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
    New Years Day
    Bad
    Pride
    Streets
    Still haven’t found
    With Or Without You
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running to Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    In Gods Country
    Trip Through Your Wires
    One Tree Hill
    Exit
    Mothers
    —-
    The Blackout
    Beautiful Day
    Vertigo
    Kite
    —-
    One
    The Little Things That Give You Away
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
  7. I would switch between Kite and Walk On to close the first encore
  8. Would love to hear Walk On again. But I think the band will avoid it due to the inevitable questions that will follow.
  9. 1. The Blackout
    2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    3. New Years Day
    4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
    5. Desire
    6. Trip Through Your Wires
    7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    8. One Tree Hill
    9. In Gods Country
    10. Red Hill Mining Town
    11. Running To Stand Still
    12. Bullet The Blue Sky
    13. Exit
    14. Pride
    15. Where The Streets Have No Name
    16. Mothers of The Disappeared

17. Until The End Of The World
    18. The Fly
    19. Mysterious Ways
    20. Beautiful Day
    21. Elevation
    22. Vertigo
    23. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    24. One
  10. Originally posted by SJKamal:1. The Blackout
    2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    3. New Years Day
    4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
    5. Desire
    6. Trip Through Your Wires
    7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    8. One Tree Hill
    9. In Gods Country
    10. Red Hill Mining Town
    11. Running To Stand Still
    12. Bullet The Blue Sky
    13. Exit
    14. Pride
    15. Where The Streets Have No Name
    16. Mothers of The Disappeared

17. Until The End Of The World
    18. The Fly
    19. Mysterious Ways
    20. Beautiful Day
    21. Elevation
    22. Vertigo
    23. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    24. One
    That's a good shout of a realistic setlist. Only thing I would see changing would be maybe a song from soi included.