2019-12-11 - Manila
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 1
  1. I might agree that unfair is not the right word as the U2 Corporation don't owe anything to the Philippinians and therefore there ain't such a thing as fairness/unfairness in their pricing. But I think the sense of my complaint is still there and valid. These are outrageous prices and really really against what U2 has always stood for.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:I might agree that unfair is not the right word as the U2 Corporation don't owe anything to the Philippinians and therefore there ain't such a thing as fairness/unfairness in their pricing. But I think the sense of my complaint is still there and valid. These are outrageous prices and really really against what U2 has always stood for.
    It's always been that way LN will have looked at other acts that have played there and based their pricing on that ,the argument will always be well we do have a varied range of prices to suit everyone however as the band so often sang "We're one but we're not the same" is evident every time they put tickets on sale.
  3. If the floor is really that small, then GA tickets are going to be near impossible to get, simply due to scarcity.

That said, based on that mockup, this is going to be one of the few shows on the JT Tour where the expensive seats are actually worth it. The yellow and light green colored seats on that mockup look like they'll have a fantastic view of the stage and won't be half a mile away as usual.
  4. That’s a serious venue.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:I might agree that unfair is not the right word as the U2 Corporation don't owe anything to the Philippinians and therefore there ain't such a thing as fairness/unfairness in their pricing. But I think the sense of my complaint is still there and valid. These are outrageous prices and really really against what U2 has always stood for.
    well, I think your complaint is a bit unfair to be honest. GnR only sold 20.000 tickets over there, I doubt with those kind of numbers U2 will even break even on this show, so they might pay the highest price themselves. Was U2 unfair with going to Sarajevo?? they didn't want a charity concert so that's why they brought their expensive PopMart show. They did everything to keep prices low, but still tickets were very expensive for the locals.
  6. I'm surprised and disappointed to see U2 play this facility. Knowingly or not, the band is being used to extend legitimacy to a cult / church, Iglesia Ni Cristo, whose actions have been so severe and against human rights norms that the government of Canada has given asylum to those attempting to flee the church ( https://usa.inquirer.net/9888/canada-grants-asylum-iglesia-ni-cristo-dissident ).

U2 should not be playing this arena. It is a palace designed as a show of power for this cult / church, which owns it. It should be noted that the church is a noted supporter of Philippine's President Duterte, one of world's more notable human rights violators. It's doctrine is exclusionary (you are not allowed to date outside the faith) and all other religions are considered heretics.

The nature of the religion doesn't concern me as much as what the church does to those who don't follow their doctrine. Again, Canada is giving asylum (multiple cases) to those fleeing the church/cult. The Arena is a showpiece for this church/cult. U2 is being used. I would expect a half full arena, at best, because the point is not making money from the concert, it is using U2 to extend legitimacy to this church/cult. That's not what this band is supposed to be about.

Feel free to Google the church and ask yourself if U2 should be associated with it. There is also a Facebook page entitled: Philippine Arena of Iglesia Ni Cristo, a Human Rights Violator. https://www.facebook.com/Philippine-Arena-of-Iglesia-Ni-Cristo-a-Human-Rights-Violator-2053977124879232/ . I'm very disappointed in U2.
    (You can see the arena set up at the 1:50 mark of this video).
  7. I'm not really well informed about what's going on there, but I don't think U2 can be used for these kind of things. I rather expect them to use this as an opportunity to do something against those violations of human rights that you are talking about.
    Let's wait and see, there are a few complaints already there, but let's focus on the positives.
  8. Originally posted by Ricku2:I'm not really well informed about what's going on there, but I don't think U2 can be used for these kind of things. I rather expect them to use this as an opportunity to do something against those violations of human rights that you are talking about.
    Let's wait and see, there are a few complaints already there, but let's focus on the positives.
    There are no positives, Giving aid, comfort and money to an organization deemed by credible third parties to be a major human rights violator is something that can not be supported. Some things are more important than concerts. U2 can expect protests at their concerts throughout Asia should they go ahead with this ill conceived plan.
  9. Originally posted by Turkued:I'm surprised and disappointed to see U2 play this facility. Knowingly or not, the band is being used to extend legitimacy to a cult / church, Iglesia Ni Cristo, whose actions have been so severe and against human rights norms that the government of Canada has given asylum to those attempting to flee the church ( https://usa.inquirer.net/9888/canada-grants-asylum-iglesia-ni-cristo-dissident ).

U2 should not be playing this arena. It is a palace designed as a show of power for this cult / church, which owns it. It should be noted that the church is a noted supporter of Philippine's President Duterte, one of world's more notable human rights violators. It's doctrine is exclusionary (you are not allowed to date outside the faith) and all other religions are considered heretics.

The nature of the religion doesn't concern me as much as what the church does to those who don't follow their doctrine. Again, Canada is giving asylum (multiple cases) to those fleeing the church/cult. The Arena is a showpiece for this church/cult. U2 is being used. I would expect a half full arena, at best, because the point is not making money from the concert, it is using U2 to extend legitimacy to this church/cult. That's not what this band is supposed to be about.

Feel free to Google the church and ask yourself if U2 should be associated with it. There is also a Facebook page entitled: Philippine Arena of Iglesia Ni Cristo, a Human Rights Violator. https://www.facebook.com/Philippine-Arena-of-Iglesia-Ni-Cristo-a-Human-Rights-Violator-2053977124879232/ . I'm very disappointed in U2. [YouTube Video]
    I'm Canadian and you just posted a CBC doc. Many people in Canada dislike the CBC and it's turning into a parody. I doubt many of our international friends would approve of a state controlled broadcaster. Sometimes it's as laughable as the DPRK site.

What's concerning about the Philippines is Abu Sayyaf and their kidnapping of Westerners. It's a shame that this group is a blight on a country of beautiful people.
  10. Not really wanting to get into the discussions but just a bit of info regarding the possible attendance which has been mentioned, Guns N Roses got over 24k while Katy Perry managed over 34k. Seems like a stretch for u2 to reach the 55k capacity but perhaps they could get more than Katy Perry did.
  11. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    I'm Canadian and you just posted a CBC doc. Many people in Canada dislike the CBC and it's turning into a parody. I doubt many of our international friends would approve of a state controlled broadcaster. Sometimes it's as laughable as the DPRK site.

What's concerning about the Philippines is Abu Sayyaf and their kidnapping of Westerners. It's a shame that this group is a blight on a country of beautiful people.
    Ad hominem attacks on a broadcaster. So your government is also a parody in giving asylum to those fleeing this cult/church?

If U2 goes ahead with this show be prepared to cross pickets organised by the human rights community at their shows in, at least, New Zealand and Australia. I was contacted by a human rights worker in Melbourne who had heard of the show and knew I followed U2. I knew nothing about this organisation before today. Simple database searches yielded credible accusations that the arena functions as a showpiece for a major human rights violator. U2 should not be playing there.
  12. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

How?