1. A few years ago they covered ELP “I believe in Father Christmas.”
    Not their best cover, IMHO.
  2. I think it's quite good!
  3. Beat On The Brat, Helter Skelter, Watchtower, Saints Are Coming, Southern Man, What's Going On were great, Paint It Black, Fortunate, Happiness, Everlasting Love, Dancing Barefoot weren't that good so it's 50/50. But I prefer new music, covers can be just b-sides.
  4. I miss the times of a good b-side, be it an outtake or a cover. I think they've done a lot of good covers, Neon Lights (Kraftwerk) springs to mind, Instant Karma, Saints are Coming, Dancing Barefoot, Helter Skelter, Watchtower and I believe in Father Christmas are pretty good as well. Beat on the Brat and Don't take your guns on the other hand...
  5. Dancing Barefoot is sublime.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun really works well.
    Baby Please Come Home For Christmas - even though it shouldn't - also works.
    All Along The Watchtower they do a good job of - even though most of the bootleg versions sound better than the official release.
    Neon Lights is good.

The rest poor to meh.

So NO don't ever release a covers album PLEASE!
  6. I don't mind an artist covering songs for b-sides or tribute albums but, with rare exceptions, I see a full album as a sign of acceptance that their time has passed. For U2, I like the live version of The Saints Are Coming and, for pure seasonal novelty, Merry Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).
  7. It was just Greg Lake in his own,his version best Christmas song ever IMHO...along with The Waitresses- Christmas Wrapping
  8. Satelite of love is better than the original in my opinion
  9. You don’t count Satellite of Love as one of the improved covers? Huh.

I’d throw in Everlasting Love and Dancing Barefoot, too, but maybe that’s cuz I knew U2’s version before I’d heard the originals.
  10. Originally posted by Faceman2000:[..]
    You don’t count Satellite of Love as one of the improved covers? Huh.

I’d throw in Everlasting Love and Dancing Barefoot, too, but maybe that’s cuz I knew U2’s version before I’d heard the originals.
    Satellite Of Love is almost there, but the officially released version is not as good as it got live.

Same here, I heard Everlasting Love and Dancing Barefoot (and Unchained Melody) by U2 before knowing the originals so it's almost as if the U2 versions were the originals, and the older ones were the covers