1. ATYCLB is a good album, but I would argue that pop,zooropa, achtung unforgettable fire and Joshua tree had already cemented their status as a great great band.

I do agree that ATYCLB brought them new commercial appeal at the turn of the millennium but they were already great
  2. Originally posted by superkev:ATYCLB is a good album, but I would argue that pop,zooropa, achtung unforgettable fire and Joshua tree had already cemented their status as a great great band.

I do agree that ATYCLB brought them new commercial appeal at the turn of the millennium but they were already great
    Pop and Zooropa aren’t considered great albums though outwith the u2 fan base. I say this as someone who likes pop and loves zooropa but they aren’t part of what makes u2 a big successful, popular, well known band.
  3. Maybe not but they would’ve been in the hall of fame without ATYCLB and Bomb
  4. I don’t know everyone who’s in the hall of fame but I think u2 would have been at the simple minds level if they didn’t have commercial success in the 00’s. Simple minds aren’t really a big band now.
  5. Please let’s not compare 80’s and 90’s U2 and simple minds
  6. That alone would put them miles ahead of most bands
  7. I must of missed those groundbreaking albums and tours from simple minds🥱
  8. I just don’t think u2 had done enough in the 80’s and 90’s to be one the big bands going forward. For me the 00’s was absolutely vital to securing their status. We obviously just don’t agree which is fine. I think u2 are the best band ever, would have thought the same if they stopped at Pop but in terms of how they’re considered on a wider scale I think they needed ATYCLB and HTDAAB, Beautiful Day and Vertigo being massively important too.
  9. I agree about the post 2000 success but to suggest they had not done enough in the 80’s and 90’s is absurd. A run of albums that stands up against any body of work in rock n roll
  10. Happy birthday to the song that will remain as one of my all time favourites. I’ve always loved Beautiful Day but it took on a new meaning for me when I was at university. The song encompassed everything I felt at the time and I became attached to the lyrics. I got such joy whenever I listened to Beautiful Day. One of their best.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:I just don’t think u2 had done enough in the 80’s and 90’s to be one the big bands going forward. For me the 00’s was absolutely vital to securing their status. We obviously just don’t agree which is fine. I think u2 are the best band ever, would have thought the same if they stopped at Pop but in terms of how they’re considered on a wider scale I think they needed ATYCLB and HTDAAB, Beautiful Day and Vertigo being massively important too.
    Led zeppelin are considered one of the great bands and they basically lasted ten years so I think U2’s place in music would’ve stood up just fine.

I’m not arguing about the commercial success of the noughties pushing them into further longevity I’m just arguing they they did enough in the 80’s and 90’s to be consider a great band
  12. The Fly was released on this day, right?