1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I love Edge's guitar as well (specially the chimey/spacey guitar just before the bridge) but the song as a whole hasn't been properly powerful since 2005 imo. Haven't attended any 2019 shows to compare it against the 2018 versions, but I attended shows in 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2018 and it was a personal lowlight in all of them.

EDIT. Now that I think of it, maybe the last time it was proper good was 2009 and not 2005. It was their terrible idea of opening the 2010 shows with it that killed the song for me I think.
    I love Edge's guitar as well (specially the chimey/spacey guitar just before the bridge)
    https://www.u2.com/news/title/i-never-heard-anything-like-this/news/ Dallas breaking down the different sounds is so nice to watch
  2. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    I get your point about BD opening the show, I guess it depends on the country though. When it opened the show in Greece for the 360 tour, people absolutely loved it, because it's the hit everyone knew & it was their first appearance after 13 years, so they really engaged people from the get go.
    As far as setlist place, I prefered the early appearance in 2018 rather than 2015. Also, the band themselves seemed to realize they needed to spice things up and I guess that's why they play these different versions in the JT tours, which are enjoyable but do feel a bit tired.
    Yeah, I get the whole point of opening with such a big, big hit - and I'm sure many of the casuals loved it too. It just didn't work out for me, it was so boring since it's more of a mid-tempo than a rocker, it fell specially flat after an unreleased semi-instrumental like Stingray Guitar... Everything led in the wrong direction, and the song has never picked it up (for me at least) since then.
  3. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:What do you guys think of BD's recent live performances? In 2018 I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sound in Ziggo Dome was brilliant, I love Edge's guitar work & effects during the song and Bono sang beautifully. In 2019 it sounds a little "worn out", a bit tired if that makes sense.. Bono doesn't sound that good to me. Now, that's based on live streams & YouTube videos of course, so to those who attended both 2018 & 2019 shows what's your take on BD ?

It's my second favourite U2 song, and my favourite live song. I though the JT 2017 tour version was the worst i'd heard it, virtually no crowd reaction every night. The E+I version was brilliant and Bono sang it incredibly well night after night. JT 2019 has been a mix of both, I think the placement in the set list is a factor too
  4. Happy birthday
  5. Happy birthday to this magnificent song. One of my all time favourites and is probably the song that saved U2's career. Or at the very least converted them to an all time great Rock n Roll band and definitely contributed to their peak of commercial success in the early 2000s.

On a side note, I was connecting to WiFi earlier and noticed that one of my neighbours changed their network name to this. Must be a fan.

6. I get what you’re saying about 2000’s commercial success but they were already a great band by that time.
  7. An all time great too
  8. We probably think they were a great band at the time, and they probably were. However, if ATYCLB had failed, especially after the "failure" of POP, would U2 have gone down as one of the all time greats? Would they have been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame? Or was Beautiful Day and the commercial success in the early 2000s the main catalyst for that?
  9. Yes they would’ve been. Their body of work in the 80’s and 90’s stands up to anyones. They were the biggest and best band in the world for years before atyclb came out
  10. I think beautiful day, vertigo and the general success of the 2 albums they were the lead single from has played a big part in keeping them as important a band as they are now. There’s a big difference being a commercial success in 3 decades compared to 2.