1. The song was sent to radio with instructions to not play until today. The commercial release was October 21. The radio releases are all ahead of the commercial releases by a few weeks in most cases. Beautiful Day was sent to radio in early September.
  2. Originally posted by superkev:[..]
    Led zeppelin are considered one of the great bands and they basically lasted ten years so I think U2’s place in music would’ve stood up just fine.

I’m not arguing about the commercial success of the noughties pushing them into further longevity I’m just arguing they they did enough in the 80’s and 90’s to be consider a great band

That’s a good point actually about Led Zeppelin and even looking at their number of releases and famous songs they don’t really outdo u2 in that respect compared to U2’s 80’s and 90’s period. I guess U2’s incredible live shows as well had to separate from the crowd so you’re maybe right they maybe had done enough in the 80’s and 90’s. At the end of the 90’s did it feel like u2 were still one of the big bands? I was only born in 91 but growing up it just felt like things went right off when they did beautiful day but I really don’t remember much mention of pop or seeing much of it til I got older.
  3. U2 were still the biggest band in the world despite popmart. Pop is a great album. I know some don’t agree with that but it’s part of their most experimental period which to me is far more appealing than commercial friendly ATYCLB and bomb, whilst acknowledging these albums are a huge part in them carrying on their legacy
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]

That’s a good point actually about Led Zeppelin and even looking at their number of releases and famous songs they don’t really outdo u2 in that respect compared to U2’s 80’s and 90’s period. I guess U2’s incredible live shows as well had to separate from the crowd so you’re maybe right they maybe had done enough in the 80’s and 90’s. At the end of the 90’s did it feel like u2 were still one of the big bands? I was only born in 91 but growing up it just felt like things went right off when they did beautiful day but I really don’t remember much mention of pop or seeing much of it til I got older.
    They were the biggest band in the world through Joshua tree and zootv so yes they were and always will be massive
  5. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]

The song was sent to radio with instructions to not play until today. The commercial release was October 21. The radio releases are all ahead of the commercial releases by a few weeks in most cases. Beautiful Day was sent to radio in early September.
    Beautiful Day was floating around the internet late August 2000,remember downloading it & playing it to death UK August Bank Holiday Monday.E-Mailed it to my work’s address at the time and banged it out there too at high volume.21 years ago is literally a lifetime for some,feels like yesterday for me😳
  6. Originally posted by SJKamal:Happy birthday to this magnificent song. One of my all time favourites and is probably the song that saved U2's career. Or at the very least converted them to an all time great Rock n Roll band and definitely contributed to their peak of commercial success in the early 2000s.

On a side note, I was connecting to WiFi earlier and noticed that one of my neighbours changed their network name to this. Must be a fan.

[image]
    It's probably the song that I stand the least nowadays The only way to save it for me is a Sgt. Pepper snippet at the end lol

7. The floods in Queensland Australia rings a bell for the great line in beautiful day,

“After the floods all the colours came out”

But yes the floodings been really bad, so much rain
  8. There has been mention of these floods being of biblical proportions - Brisbane had 80% of its annual rainfall in three days; so yeah, it's an appropriate reference you make. Let's just hope the sun and the rainbows come out soon; it's pretty awful up there. Sydney is next up but the predictions aren't as dire.
  9. Thinking of all those in Brisbane. The city looked after me well in 2019.