1. Fun to think about next steps even as I want the band to have the time to take a long break and at least partially "dream it all up again."

Honestly, what worries me a little bit about already having new album talks is that they will continue to over-think every aspect of production like they did on SOI & SOE. If what we end up getting in 2021/2022 is an overcooked mix of ideas that they've been tossing around for ten years since we first heard about Songs of Ascent, then I'd rather have them disappear from the public eye for a long while and only come back when they have fresh inspiration for a completely new idea.

Of course, I say all of that while also conceding that the idea of still making an album based on biblical psalms and full of beautiful/abstract/ambient music as they've hinted at sounds lovely. So I guess I'm torn.

Either way, I'd love the next tour (in 2022?) to be smaller venues, like clubs and theaters. Not sure they could pull that off, but if they were intentionally about scaling things back and forming a stage setup with Willie that made full use of a theater-like setting, I'd be all for it. Something different.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Bono wrote most of it in 2014 while recovering from his bicycle accident and Dangermouse is credited as one of the 9 producers they may have tinkered with it and brought other producers in to spruce it up but essentially it's a 5 year old record from it's conception hence why I think they will be eager to get new music out in the not too distant future.

Danger mouse was only credited for ordinary love which wasn’t really a SOE track. I agree that the ideas may have started in 2014 but I don’t think they’ll see it as 5 years old, it’s only as old as the finished article I would say. COBL for example was started during the pop sessions, I don’t think the band will have seen that as a 7 or 8 year old song when they released it and started performing it live. You could still be right though about the band being keen to release new music I think they always are tbh but I just think they won’t change there ways of tweaking things for a long time and delaying anything being released as a result, I would like you to be right though.
  3. If it's up to me, they take a long break to reinvent themselves musically, back to 3 chords and the truth. The past years from the JT tour 2017 did not really interest and does not hit me. Fairly predictable concerts and set lists, Bono sings with little passion and restrained, many songs played by the band on autopilot, pre-recorded tracks and, to top it all off, a rather moderate album.

After one of the best U2 tours in 2015, I&E tour, I had high expectations of a JT tour and E&I tour, finally live performances of my favorite U2 songs, RHMT and Acrobat, but overall I found the concerts and performances free mediocre. Not worthy of U2

Let the strong U2 points, vocals, guitars, bass, and drums speak again.

Dream it all up again.
  4. ...so from western Canada I have had multiple sources email me and tell me that before the start of the show in India, crew members were suggesting that there MAYBE a new tour being thought of in 2021 or 2022; supporting a new album and remembering AB/POP era.
    ... i do know that after talking directly with Dallas, nothing is being planned for 2020 from a touring perspective... Dallas is going to be working with Bruce in some manner!

"There's also the chance that they could opt for a Achtung Baby/Zoo TV revival kind of tour, but after looking back in nostalgia to the Joshua Tree I don't think the band themselves contemplate this option - they kinda paid a 20-year tribute to AB in 2011 anyway. It would be an instant cash-cow, of course, and Livenation's greed might be the only reason why this would be an option. I pray to several gods that they don't do it."
  5. Originally posted by sholbech22:...so from western Canada I have had multiple sources email me and tell me that before the start of the show in India, crew members were suggesting that there MAYBE a new tour being thought of in 2021 or 2022; supporting a new album and remembering AB/POP era.
    ... i do know that after talking directly with Dallas, nothing is being planned for 2020 from a touring perspective... Dallas is going to be working with Bruce in some manner!

"There's also the chance that they could opt for a Achtung Baby/Zoo TV revival kind of tour, but after looking back in nostalgia to the Joshua Tree I don't think the band themselves contemplate this option - they kinda paid a 20-year tribute to AB in 2011 anyway. It would be an instant cash-cow, of course, and Livenation's greed might be the only reason why this would be an option. I pray to several gods that they don't do it."
    Now that is a great idea from the band and there team if true. If they could manage to get an album out early 2021 they could tour it that same year and even make some significant changes if it went into 2022 and basically swap some AB songs for Pop to remember both albums on the same tour but without overshadowing the new material. 7 or 8 songs from a new album, TTTYAATW, So cruel, love is blindness and then the rest a usual mix of what we get in a u2 live show which would probably include a couple more AB songs anyway. Then the following year they would drop they 3 AB songs I named and play Gone, Please and Last Night On Earth, maybe chuck in SATS as an easy acoustic number, can’t see them ever doing it electric again anyway. I know there’s plenty others from pop too since they haven’t played most of it for so long. That would be a great way to honour the albums and would perhaps be a compromise between fans that want an anniversary tour and fans that don’t.
  6. Frankly I'm not hoping an "Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour". I really enjoyed they celebrated "The Joshua Tree" this way, playing the entire album in sequence, but doing this again with AB 4 years later would be too much, and would give a bad signal about what U2 is capable of, as they'll reach 60. Let's hoping for a new album, and a tour mixing old and new stuff, just like they did in the past. I'm also crossing fingers to see the band surprising us by changing their setlist from one night to another, and play songs they haven't played for a long time or never played at all : "God Part II", "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", "Please", and so on... and give a break to "Vertigo", "BD" or "Elevation".
  7. 2021 is when we'll get the next album or tour.
  8. One more album, a tour and then goodbye.
  9. My guess is they will slowly start on the next album in 2020. 2021 we get AB30 - the album deserves it. Or if they prefer call it Zoo2.0 in 2022.

I think the future od U2 live is a mix of arenas and stadiums like we had in the past few years. No more 100+ world wide treks.
  10. Originally posted by StephOnTour87:Frankly I'm not hoping an "Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour". I really enjoyed they celebrated "The Joshua Tree" this way, playing the entire album in sequence, but doing this again with AB 4 years later would be too much, and would give a bad signal about what U2 is capable of, as they'll reach 60. Let's hoping for a new album, and a tour mixing old and new stuff, just like they did in the past. I'm also crossing fingers to see the band surprising us by changing their setlist from one night to another, and play songs they haven't played for a long time or never played at all : "God Part II", "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", "Please", and so on... and give a break to "Vertigo", "BD" or "Elevation".
    Agreed.

They were able to get by the "money grab" argument by saying that The Joshua Tree was politically relevant again etc. - but doing it twice? Nah.

I hold U2 to higher esteem than that. If they did another anniversary tour, it'd be disappointing to me.
  11. The Dad in me wants to see a U2/22 Tour....
  12. I would love to see a tour similar to the 5x5 tour simple minds pulled off (brilliantly) a few years back. Imagine 5 songs from boy- Joshua tree all in the one concert. Can only wish I suppose