1. They could learn a lot from the way R.E.M ended as a recording and touring act; yet continued to promote remastered material and stuff from the vault.
  2. Originally posted by ferrari:I also would like to see a tour with strings, but as backing for a "electric" show.

Or a tour with some extra musicians, who can play and know the lyrics of most of the U2 songs. A 2nd guitar player, keyboardist, so Edge can concentrate only on guitar playing, backgroundsingers for the high notes and lyrics, strings and a horn section.

I have always thought that U2 needed a rhythm guitarist / keyboardist / backing vocalist onstage. They don't need to play on every song if it doesn't need it. Perfect example of a song that NEEDS a rhythm guitar is "All Because of You". Somebody to play the main riffs so that Edge plays his solo or lead fills, the bottom of the song doesn't drop out. Bono never was an effective rhythm guitarist, I think when he did play guitar is was more for show, and to give him an excuse to stand still for awhile.
  3. I loved Bono's strumming on songs. In fact typically my favorite performances of those songs are when his guitar is mixed up. Take the Fly for example. The versions on Elevation and E+I while good were missing those little strum fills at least for me. Same thing with Exit on both the JT 2017 tour and also the shows in 87 where he was hurt. The official release from MSG 87 is probably my pick for best mixed live release by the band but Exit, In God's Country, With or Without You, etc sound incomplete to me. My brain keeps expecting to hear his strumming and when it isn't there it bugs. Listen to the Exit outtake that Phil Joanou put out and you can hear his guitar clearly and you can even hear why he is fiddling with the knobs which they edited down in Rattle and Hum sadly.

Just my opinion.

The Fly from the Dublin 93 broadcast is a great example because you can literally pan to each channel and hear Edge's guitar vs Bono's strums. I wish they would get over the only 4 members on stage mandate. Nothing wrong with having supporting touring players onstage especially since Bono's accident and him likely never playing guitar again.
  4. Originally posted by zbych:And as COVID-19 becomes managable in 2021 live Nation needs to make up for the 2020 losses U2 hits the Road again this time not to promote 30th or 32nd JT Anniversary but the 34th!!! The cash grabbing machine doesn’t have to produce new stage design, they use same old visuals add 2 other songs in finale and say they promote the new dvd with Anton concert film! Most of the world goes nuts as they finally can attend a stadium show again ... and by the end of the tour they start to play half of the Achtung Baby to say they had 30th Achtung Baby anniversary on their minds ;p

“In 1987 we didn’t think the album would still be so relevant in 2021. We also didn’t think that in 2017 either. Or 2019.”
  5. Originally posted by superchuk5:[..]

“In 1987 we didn’t think the album would still be so relevant in 2021. We also didn’t think that in 2017 either. Or 2019.”
    Hahaha noooo
  6. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]

I have always thought that U2 needed a rhythm guitarist / keyboardist / backing vocalist onstage. They don't need to play on every song if it doesn't need it. Perfect example of a song that NEEDS a rhythm guitar is "All Because of You". Somebody to play the main riffs so that Edge plays his solo or lead fills, the bottom of the song doesn't drop out. Bono never was an effective rhythm guitarist, I think when he did play guitar is was more for show, and to give him an excuse to stand still for awhile.
    I bit like Springsteen did in 2012-2014, the backing vocalists, The E street choir, brought extra soul and new dimensions to lots of songs and real horns sounds of course a lot better than recorded.
  7. Originally posted by unclejosh:I loved Bono's strumming on songs. In fact typically my favorite performances of those songs are when his guitar is mixed up. Take the Fly for example. The versions on Elevation and E+I while good were missing those little strum fills at least for me. Same thing with Exit on both the JT 2017 tour and also the shows in 87 where he was hurt. The official release from MSG 87 is probably my pick for best mixed live release by the band but Exit, In God's Country, With or Without You, etc sound incomplete to me. My brain keeps expecting to hear his strumming and when it isn't there it bugs. Listen to the Exit outtake that Phil Joanou put out and you can hear his guitar clearly and you can even hear why he is fiddling with the knobs which they edited down in Rattle and Hum sadly.

Just my opinion.

The Fly from the Dublin 93 broadcast is a great example because you can literally pan to each channel and hear Edge's guitar vs Bono's strums. I wish they would get over the only 4 members on stage mandate. Nothing wrong with having supporting touring players onstage especially since Bono's accident and him likely never playing guitar again.
    Or even gave off stage musicians. I believe that had someone under the stage doing keyboards. Joshua Tree day 87 days for songs like Streets as opposed to using prerecorded audio.
  8. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]

Completely agree with this !!
  9. Originally posted by dtpc191991:[..]
    Or even gave off stage musicians. I believe that had someone under the stage doing keyboards. Joshua Tree day 87 days for songs like Streets as opposed to using prerecorded audio.
    *Terry Lawless dislikes this post*
  10. Impressive stat, kind of worry-inducing as well.

With the release of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" #U2 has now charted in the Irish singles chart in six different decades! First in the 1970s...80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and now the 2020s!!

11. New album 2022.
    New tour 2023.

And you just know they're going to use the Coronavirus as inspiration for the new album.