1. Originally posted by U2nick88:I think it will become a bit clearer in the next 3-6 months, particularly in UK/Europe as to the impact of vaccinations etc.
    Pretty much all the shows I had booked for 2020 have been moved to 2021. Am expecting a number of these shows, to be moved to 2022.

In terms of U2, they have had a year out and think it will be a little while longer before anything substantial comes along in terms of rumours regarding a new album etc.

It will be interesting to see the response after the pandemic, will bands, including U2 be under pressure to go out and play some shows? Promotors by this point would of gone over a year maybe nearly 2 with hardly any ticket sales.
    I reckon there will be pressure from Live nation for U2 to tour as soon as it's possible(that is of course that they do want to carry on)they are the golden goose in the live touring industry and the whole industry has been decimated particularly for the crews and touring personal who rely on the big acts to earn a living.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    I reckon there will be pressure from Live nation for U2 to tour as soon as it's possible(that is of course that they do want to carry on)they are the golden goose in the live touring industry and the whole industry has been decimated particularly for the crews and touring personal who rely on the big acts to earn a living.

Agreed!
  3. I have loved this band for over 30 years but I hope they bow out with some dignity, before they turn into an nostalgia act, and release more inferior material. All good things must come to an end at some point, that’s a fact. They’ve had a good run at it. Take a leaf out of REM,s book and quit while your ahead.
  4. Originally posted by electricwar1:I have loved this band for over 30 years but I hope they bow out with some dignity, before they turn into an nostalgia act, and release more inferior material. All good things must come to an end at some point, that’s a fact. They’ve had a good run at it. Take a leaf out of REM,s book and quit while your ahead.
    If U2 put out the Joshua Tree 🌳 or Achtung baby 👶 at this point in their career they wouldn't make half the impact they made back then ,it's all to do with what stage they are at and timing anyone over 40 is considered a dinosaur 🦕 in the music world 🌎 radio 📻 wouldn't play it the influencers on YouTube and social media wouldn't help promote it which they do for the likes of Ed Sheeran, Adele,Beyonce ,Coldplay etc however U2 still have a big fanbase who will still buy the albums and concert tickets so they can keep going as long as they want but as far as been relevant with the masses that time has well passed a long time ago.
  5. Let's take another example. Dylan is 79. Last years "Rough and Rowdy Ways" is a great Dylan record.

What's to preclude more good U2 music? Why should they bow out? What else would they do? Release lukewarm solo junk?

I love REM, but the solo Stipe stuff from last year is a bit of a yawn fest.
  6. Originally posted by spfletty:Let's take another example. Dylan is 79. Last years "Rough and Rowdy Ways" is a great Dylan record.

What's to preclude more good U2 music? Why should they bow out? What else would they do? Release lukewarm solo junk?

The last great album u2 released was ATYCLB, and even then that was nothing compared to AB, zooropa, TJT, so yes they should bow out, If they can’t get it right in 20 yrs...then it’s time to go, as far as solo stuff, the edge would probably be the only one who could seriously justify releasing anything, also would you be prepared to fork out hundreds to keep seeing them live churning out vertigo, elevation and other “safe” material just because bono can’t reach that high calibre in his voice now, I don’t think so.
  7. Originally posted by electricwar1:[..]
    The last great album u2 released was ATYCLB, and even then that was nothing compared to AB, zooropa, TJT, so yes they should bow out, If they can’t get it right in 20 yrs...then it’s time to go, as far as solo stuff, the edge would probably be the only one who could seriously justify releasing anything, also would you be prepared to fork out hundreds to keep seeing them live churning out vertigo, elevation and other “safe” material just because bono can’t reach that high calibre in his voice now, I don’t think so.
    I think that’s quite frankly nonsense. SOI is the best album u2 have released since AB imo, I could maybe listen to a case for Zooropa being better and ATYCLB is up there. For me the band’s material as a whole has been better from the 90’s onwards than the 80’s. The 80’s was the bands weakest decade when you look at the strength of there albums as a whole. The 90’s being there best. Music’s changed in the last decade and a half so much so that bands can’t have a commercial hit single, it just doesn’t happen. So if an album like SOI was released in 2000 EBW, SFS, and maybe even the miracle with it being the lead single would probably have been at least top 20 hits. Nowadays not a chance. And that means that when songs don’t get played on the radio more casual listeners of the band or even young music fans looking to get into new stuff don’t take notice of the bands new material and it doesn’t get appreciated like it would have done in the past. When you look at how u2 are perceived there general popularity seems to be determined by there commercial success and that’s the worst way for them to be judged when a lot of there hits aren’t even in there top 50 songs. I think too many fans are being influenced by the bands lack of hits etc and dismissing the great material that they’ve released in recent years.
  8. Originally posted by spfletty:Let's take another example. Dylan is 79. Last years "Rough and Rowdy Ways" is a great Dylan record.

Both Dylan and Bono are with us from the cradle to the grave.
  9. I hope U2 makes more new music but give up on being a popular act. So no new Vertigo’s Or those afwul ballads.
    Take Nick Cave and the bad seeds: great stuff last 10 years, great live, much appreciated by the alternative radio stations.
  10. SOE is pretty bad.
  11. All personal opinions of course.
  12. since ATYCLB - so 20 years or so give or take - the band could put one album together of all their best tracks from all their releases and it would be a great album, but album by album (and I'm including ATYCLB here too) they have been just okay to hmmm to meh

but as a live act - fucking brilliant as always so we have that