1. This is a bit for "song history nerds" I guess, but here's an update:

I found this recording online of a soundcheck from Lovetown '89 in Auckland. Since that was an outdoor show someone could record the soundcheck. Last couple of days I tried to clean up the heavy wind noise from with adobe audition. It doesn't really make it sound better, but at least there's some more detail audible.

What's unique about this recording:

At around 07:00 they start playing an early (and cool) version of Trying to throw your arms around the world. This is a very cool version with lots of cool guitar and bass bits, and some recognizable "bongloese"

At 13:50 they play another new song. This is likely one of the "blow your house down" incarnations, starting out with similar chords to the beach jam version of that song. It also has guitar bits that remind of Ultraviolet. Chord sctructure also reminds of "I feel free", which was an early version of Until the end of the world on the stolen AB demo tapes. So this seems to be a a hybrid of ideas, haven't tried figuring any lyrics out yet..

2. My brain struggles with how close Lovetown is to AB. I will be further confused listening to this later. Thanks for the share.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:My brain struggles with how close Lovetown is to AB. I will be further confused listening to this later. Thanks for the share.
    I know, right?

I was especially surprised by the early version of "Trying". It sounds quite mature, and musically more fun and rocking..

It's a bit more "mature" version than "Montgomery's Visit" from the AB outtakes, and with a different bridge. And it has the exact same song structure as "the first time" but then a half octave higher..

The other song I'm breaking my head on a bit more about. At the start it sounds like Blow your house down (beach demo), then after a minute more like "I feel free" from the AB outtakes. And the jangly guitar reminds me of Ultraviolet....
  4. Originally posted by melon51:This is a bit for "song history nerds" I guess, but here's an update:

I found this recording online of a soundcheck from Lovetown '89 in Auckland. Since that was an outdoor show someone could record the soundcheck. Last couple of days I tried to clean up the heavy wind noise from with adobe audition. It doesn't really make it sound better, but at least there's some more detail audible.

What's unique about this recording:

At around 07:00 they start playing an early (and cool) version of Trying to throw your arms around the world. This is a very cool version with lots of cool guitar and bass bits, and some recognizable "bongloese"

At 13:50 they play another new song. This is likely one of the "blow your house down" incarnations, starting out with similar chords to the beach jam version of that song. It also has guitar bits that remind of Ultraviolet. Chord sctructure also reminds of "I feel free", which was an early version of Until the end of the world on the stolen AB demo tapes. So this seems to be a a hybrid of ideas, haven't tried figuring any lyrics out yet..

SoundCloud: U2 rare Auckland '89 soundcheck by BB
    Nice!
  5. It is, right?

So if we connect these to the "stolen" AB tapes they are most similar to these..

"Trying"

And that (mother of all U2 songs in E after '90) song.. At 0:30 it sounds very much like this "morph" towards UTEOTW, which was on the AB stolen tapes as well..

6. I'm trying to mix a few of those early demos and final versions, but Audio editing is a different craft altogether I'm quickly realising..
  7. The soundcloud link above is a Youtube MP3 download which I then edited in Adobe Audition. I also found the separate .flac files of the soundcheck songs and re-did the "wind editing". So here are separate links for the 2 most "recognizable songs", hope they sound sound a little clearer:

Early "Trying to throw your arms around the world":

Early "Blow your house down/I feel free/Ultraviolet hybrid":

8. doesn't that early Tryin' sound more like So Cruel?
  9. They're both songs in the key of A, so that might make it confusing. This one sounds (in the main guitar part) exactly like the demo on the AB outtakes and the "baby" version of "trying".

I found some more stuff from Lovetown soundchecks by the way, including a Jam that sounds a lot like the Until the end of the world bass part/groove. Will try to upload later.

Still looking for the "holy grail" of the Acrobat riff though, which was apperently played at a LT soundcheck as well..
  10. But...

You are right about that bridge part.. First 2 chords of that are the same as the bridge in So Cruel "she wears my love like a.."..

But then again, that's the same bridge as in All I want is you: "all the promises we made.."

One could probably make a great mash-up out of all those tunes and bits...
  11. So that ‘Dream it al up again’ was a bit dramatic. Lovetown was already into AB.
    After the new years eve gig They played a week in Rotterdam. And then quikly into the studio’s.
    The Sydney LT show that was taped for tv has colour and the same style of filming we see in AB clips. Great u2 era