1. This stuff is really cool, but obviously broader than just the '89 soundchecks. Maybe we should start a separate topic about this type of stuff? Something like:

Hidden gems? - edited audio of soundchecks, demos and more

Don't know, it's just an idea..

2. But.. I think I found a hint of "why"..

I used the vocal/isolation tool on Audacity. The vocal that I accidently edited out is I think the "voice-over" part of the documentary. The other talking, as you said was in a room where they talked with the music.

So there's something in the Stereo separation that's doing something there... I think the "voice-over" is right in the center, and that's why it's easier to recognize and separate, what do you think?
  3. Originally posted by melon51:[..]

But.. I think I found a hint of "why"..

I used the vocal/isolation tool on Audacity. The vocal that I accidently edited out is I think the "voice-over" part of the documentary. The other talking, as you said was in a room where they talked with the music.

So there's something in the Stereo separation that's doing something there... I think the "voice-over" is right in the center, and that's why it's easier to recognize and separate, what do you think?
    Yeah voice in films and documentaries is usually in the center channel so it makes all the sense in the world. That's why when your 5.1 sound system is broken or faulty you might just hear the sound effects and the music, with no (or little) human voice - it also works for (some) recorded music so I can see it happening in this case too!
  4. Yeah but still found it funny that my settings took Bono's voice out completely, while it was just as loud in the original.

Can you check what parts of the whole 1;35 mins are actually completely stereo? I have the feeling that there's 2 sources of Audio mixed there:

- Real-time audio from the "warehouse", which might be a mono part?
    - That audio with a fat layer of narration on top

The voice from that second bit was blocked out almost completely. So.. if you know how to bring those other "talkers" to that same layer, we'd be fine!
  5. So with that bit from the salome tapes you can also choose to start the chord sequence at the "E" point, instead of G. And then you can "glue that bit starting point with "Lady with the spinning Head" as well, as I noticed
  6. I didn't change anything about the chord sequence or the speed (bpm), just slapped one after the other. But "lady" was lower in key so I brought it up to match in the first attempt and then realised that sounded horrible.. So here's an edit where I brought the Outtakes bit a full tone down to "match" the original Lady with the spinning head:

This may sound weird.. but it's just a matter of where you think the chorus or the verse is in an instrumental demo
  7. And for the lovers of the drums..

Glued a few drum takes together and matched for tempo (they differ only slightly). Placed them in no significant order:

- That first salome outtakes beat
    - Mofo
    - Lady with the spinning head
    - Ultraviolet 1 (aka "take you down from outtakes)

Sure there's some differences and effects on some of those, but kind of funny to hear a drum pattern that lasted this long