1. "ish.. I recently dived into some audio-editing software and have to say I am an absolute beginner... But I always wondered how the 2017/19 RHMT live version would sound with (the original) guitars instead of the keyboards.

So I did a "remix" I did of the 2017 live version of Red Hill Mining Town with the Guitars of the 1987 version. Gottal say though it was a 3-day project and very hard to match tempo and key. But here is the first version (at last)

For those interested, this is how I (think I) did this:

- Took the Red Hill Mining Town Album track, put it through Audacity and changed the key of the song from G to F (as the did live) without changing the tempo.

- Then took that track and tried to match it for BPM with the Vancouver 2017 version that I used. This took forever (2 days), but did it very easily via Virtual DJ in the end.

- Then I splitted the audio via this Spleeter AI tool into 4 separate tracks (Vocal, Drums, Bass, "Other") The guitar is in the "Other" track, which I saved separately.

- I did the same with the 2017 Vancouver live version. The "Other" 1/4th part contains the piano in that one and I lowered the volume on that by 50%

- Then created a new stereo track of the "hold the piano" version of 2017 and put the '87 tempo- and key corrected guitar alongside that. Then exported the 1x stereo + 1x mono and this is the "mix" I suppose :-)

PS. It sounds like in the middle the guitar is a (tiny) bit behind but it really measures up over the whole part. Have some ideas about how that appears to be..
  2. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure about Bono's vocal take on that one.
  3. Well, here's one for you then..

I'm getting to learn this software and just did an "inverted" version in 5 mins.. So here's the 2017 live version (with piano, no guitars), but with Bono's 1987 voice mixed in:

Changes:

Voice pitch lowered 2 semitones (from G to f). The live version from 2017 was 144 bpm and studion version 136, so changed them both to 140bpm as a "compromise"

PS. If I change more it'll be the '87 version again, but then 1 key lower..

PS2: I'm pretty sure that Larry uses a different time signature on the live version. The whole track matches out but there are some bits that are different. Heard it on the guitar track and now on the vocal as well..
  4. The primarily difficulty in matching 87/17 versions (to my ears) is that the original's drum/bass signature is different, at least in the verses.

Plus u2 were known for having an "instable tempo" on some of their songs in the in the 80's, I think "Pride" drops 10 bpm leading up to its chorus... And live these days they play everything with a clicktrack.

Does anyone know a 2017/19 live vocal performance for RHMT that reallly stood out? @Peterrrrr or @LikeASong
  5. No such thing exists, sorry.
  6. I'll hook you up with a direct bono microphone pull of him singing red hill... if you consolidate your posting of projects into one thread.
  7. Originally posted by hoserama:I'll hook you up with a direct bono microphone pull of him singing red hill... if you consolidate your posting of projects into one thread.
    Yes exactly, these need to be in one thread only.
  8. This one was one of my first attempts, and it didn't really work (to my ears). I used the IEM vancouver track and separated that, so I have a vocal only track from 2017.

Rather than trying a different 2017 vocal, I may give the guitar part another shot to see if the song is "worth it" anyway.

@hoserama and @welsh_edge You both mention I should consolidate projects in 1 thread. I had thought about that, I don't want to swamp the forums with a new topic for every single idea or little gimmick..

But I'm also working on some "projects" (that I havent posted yet) that are (much) more complex and have more of a "story" to them. And these might be better of in a separate topic for the sake of on-topic discussion, and updates of the project.

So still thinking about how to do this. Maybe the simpler stuff like this Red Hill, the 2 Shots vocal etc could all be in a single "mashup" thread or something along with requests. And the "story-based" projects in their own topics..?
  9. You do you...but I logged into U2Start and the three most recent threads with activity were all your threads/projects. They're all kind of the same thing, and could be consolidated.

Like I said, I think it would be easier to combine the sets.

I have a recording directly from Bono's microphone from Vancouver 2017. It will be cleaner than extraction from a mixed source. It's yours...if things get fully consolidated
  10. Originally posted by hoserama:You do you...but I logged into U2Start and the three most recent threads with activity were all your threads/projects. They're all kind of the same thing, and could be consolidated.

Like I said, I think it would be easier to combine the sets.

I have a recording directly from Bono's microphone from Vancouver 2017. It will be cleaner than extraction from a mixed source. It's yours...if things get fully consolidated
    It doesn't have to be Vancouver really. I just need a great sounding 2017 version (also Band).

This Red Hill project was one of the 1st things I tried. Just listened back in Audacity and it's kind of horrible

As with many recent attempts to match versions from different eras, I noticed that U2 tends to mess around with time signatures. For reasons I don't yet understand, although my guess would be it's actually Larry that has problems playing the original moreso than Bono being able to hit the notes..

So I'll have another go at it I think. And if things aren't consolidated enough for you yet, I'll grab the best 2017 version I can find And if I have any result I'll make sure to post it in this topic, haha
  11. Are you not understanding the fact that you can just work with a direct Bono wireless microphone feed? As in, it is as clean as you can get? lol